Votes: 37 8.9%
  • Over 30,000 miles

Votes: 80 19.3%

• Total voters
161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
you dont need the tensioner tool.you can see the wear marks on the shaft which give a good impression of where the shaft sits in its bore.figure it from there as to what shims will be need.

·
Registered
66 Posts
did the valve lash on my 09 F at 24,000 was off spec by enough that I shimmed all valves, but then I also run the dog sht out it. I like redlining third gear, then kick up to 5th,

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Two things that will make me dive in. First off if too tight the engine will miss when cold due to valve not completely closing. Once warmed up a bit some clearance develops and the engine runs ok. Single cyl bikes won't even start in this condition due to low compression. Second reason would be more noise then normal. Not getting overly excited unless either one of these occur.
Ron

·
Kidzap
1,064 Posts
I'm at 50K and still running strong and I met a guy on an 03 with 90K that never did the valve adjustment and he's running just fine. Like I've said before I'm more worried about the chain stretch than the valve clearance.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had S.E. cams installed a while back. Will the higher lift affect wear on the shims?:lamer: I really appreciate the info I get from this site, thanks guys!

·
Kidzap
1,064 Posts
I had S.E. cams installed a while back. Will the higher lift affect wear on the shims?:lamer: I really appreciate the info I get from this site, thanks guys!
Only place that might wear more is the face of the bucket but if the clearance was setup properly there shouldn't be a problem of any extraordinary wear with the S E cams.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Only place that might wear more is the face of the bucket but if the clearance was setup properly there shouldn't be a problem of any extraordinary wear with the S E cams.
Thanks, good to hear that. Now if I can find a way to quiet the extra cam noise down a bit I'll be all set:hidesbeh:

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
I have a few questions for you about having your valve lash checked.

1st) This poll is for how many miles you have ridden before checking the valve lash without negative results for not following the recommended service interval.

2nd) For those of you who have exceeded the service recommendation, please post up what the findings were when checked, How many shims were changed. How much of an adjustment was needed with the changed shims?

There have been many times I have seen people post how far beyond the service recommendation they went without issues. This will collect all this information in one spot.
Had my old "2007 California DX/NRS" valve lash check completed today for the third time ....all in spec after 51,000 miles. Checking every 15K miles. Cost was $420.

·
impede none & evade
409 Posts
I ran my 03 120K miles with no lash adjustments or costly checks. This means I saved enough money to buy a head job with new cams & valves. It was in spec as well.

But the rings were worm just out of spec so I put in a 1250 kit. (Eats a bit more gas, more low vibs, louder intake sound...not a whole lot more power for maybe 10 hp). Seriously folks. What kind of emotional issue spends that kind of money for 10 hp? LOL I got the kit for the cost of the parts not used in the warranty rebuild so it was a wash.

More reality.

The reason the rings were worn was because the K & N filter allows 3% or so more air to go by it. NO matter how much tack you spray on the thing. I changed oil every 3-5 religiously and also serviced that air filter like a fanatic.

Sure, you get a wee bit better performance with the K & N, but this allows 3-5% more particles to go into the com chamber as well. Go onto the K & N site and review the tech data on its filtration yourself. I did about 10 years ago since I used to sell filters to aviation. Yeah, you get a sticker, maybe a hat and you can join a fraternity about presuming to have the "best" filter, but really, its not so fantastic. Actually, rather subnormal.

So, in over 120K miles, you will get more wear proportionally to exactly how much more air it lets in. How much wear? Depends on in what region you live, how much abrasives are airborne. Here, back east, low abrasive silica, not so dusty, not so bad wear. So you weigh the 3 HP gain against the durability of the rings.

My opinion? Valve lash is a BM issue to consider, not a PM issue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Did my 1st valve lash check and then adjustment myself at 28,760 miles. I didn't have any tight valves and all were on the loose side. I brought them back into spec. I probably won't check them for another 30k- 40k as I don't ride hard most of the time and it seems like they loosen not tighten on my bike.

Front Cylinder

Initial Readings / Adjusted

1)Exhaust 014"..................013"
2)Exhaust 015"..................012"
3)Intake 010"..................008"
4)Intake 011"..................009"

Rear Cylinder

5)Intake 010"..................009"
6)Intake 010"..................008"
7)Exhaust 013"..................013"
8)Exhaust 014"..................012"

I pulled the engine because I wanted the extra room to work on it and checked the rear mounts which were out of round and in need of replacing so with the money I saved doing the valve lash job myself I was able to buy new motor mounts front and rear and a True-Track stabilizer :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
valve adjustment

56k on the 2012 dx. I did my first valve check at approx 25k, they were dead on, upper limit and one was slightly in the middle.Think it was an intake, I let it run. The next time I checked them was at 56k, I found the #2 exh was too tight, I could not fit a 020 mm under it. The lower limit is .295 mm. And found #6 intake and #8 exh at lower limit
So the shims I used were 2.08, 2.49, 2.25 mm. I want all my valves set to upper limit. I recall how they were set from the factory. I dont want to have to go back in for a long while. I have stone ground cams. Dont know if that makes any difference. The manual shows two different types.

·
Justpassinthru
8,976 Posts
Got mine done on 2005 vrod se at 55,000 miles and intake were just out of specs and exhaust just okay and set a little. Will do again in 50,000 miles. Runs great at full throtle up to speed on highway . Ran great before but wanted to get it done and be sure and be Happy a long time and Smile every mile down the road.front intake was .25 more than spec set at 2.50, rear intake was .25 more than spec set at 2.329 ,front and rear exhaust perfect spec .

·
Registered
72 Posts
hi guys im new to the vrod scene as i only had my 02 model a few weeks mine has std exhausts k&n and a pcv im looking to changing the exhaust and poss fit a super tuner later

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,397 Posts
valve lash

Over 30k miles and 11 years..still haven't checked the lash...my bad :bash: :chair: :hidesbeh: not noisey or no lose of power..

'Crewzr

161 - 178 of 178 Posts