Votes: 37 8.9%
  • Over 30,000 miles

Votes: 80 19.2%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 179 Posts

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Lonnie definately has vr voodoo in his bag of tricks. That's only reason I am playing mad scientist in my garage.
UGH he is a DORK! :D Thanks Lonnie my checking account and wife thank you even more. Totally kidding he is good peps.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Never checked mine and am at 61,000 miles now. She runs as good if not better now than when i first got it.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Just a question --but would the religious use of Amsoil help to extend the interval?
Dont quote me but I would say it's not going to hurt or help it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Had the valve lash checked at 16K miles for 450.00. The tech changed one shim that was barely off spec. He recommended 20K mile checks instead. I'm at 38K and am planning on doing it myself this time.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Turk, here's my experience so far at 107k....(I don't go more than 30k before having the lash checked).

Bought the bike new in Feb '03. Had the valve lash checked at 10k, everything OK (except it cost 500.00). I waited till 40k had the valve lash checked, all 8 were just out of spec and replaced (about 750.00). Lash checked at 70k - only 2 shims needed. Checked again at 95k - 2 more needed to be shimmed. I'll probably have the lash checked again at 120-125k (probably sometime in Jul-Aug :D).

Shoe

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Just a question --but would the religious use of Amsoil help to extend the interval?
I assume this is in regards to valve lash? I would not count on that, but it certainly can't hurt the wear factor. Some run synthetic longer between changes, and I'm sure it's capable, however, I am more concerned about the additives breaking down and/or losing effectiveness.

·
Silver Bullet
540 Posts
This has been good to follow. I do not put the miles on some do, I currently have 24K and have never had the valve lash checked. I use full synthetic and change according to manual so it is getting good clean oil.

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
Just completed my 4th valve lash with 67K miles on the bike. It has been 27K since I had them done last. All but 2 shims had to be replaced. The previous time, 2 shims were swapped to get them all in spec. Nothing needed adjusting the first 2 lash checks.

·
Noel
4,581 Posts
Just completed my 4th valve lash with 67K miles on the bike. It has been 27K since I had them done last. All but 2 shims had to be replaced. The previous time, 2 shims were swapped to get them all in spec. Nothing needed adjusting the first 2 lash checks.
Was there more or less lash upon inspection?
How much of a change was needed?
Which valves?

·
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Keep the info coming. If you haven't taken the poll, please do. Very interested in the poll information on bikes with lots of miles on them.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I agree about metric bikes (owned nearly a dozen over the years) and it really is interesting how high reving jap bikes actually tighten up. My 03 CBR600RR with a 15K redline had 4 - 5 valves too tight at 3.4K but I beat the shit out of it as it is meant to be. I don't rev my "R" to redline all that much so I expect this bike to need very little valve adjustment but will check at 10K or so just to make sure.

For those who love the sound of the engine: REMEMBER, a tappy valve is a happy valve!

John

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
10,000 mile check

I had mine done at 10,000 miles. They claimed that it needed 3 shims. The description on the receipt shows they used a 2.225, 2.25 and 2.50 shim. Did it really need it? Did the mechanic know what he was doing? Not sure. I spent about $800 and it took them 6 days to complete it. I will probably never have it checked again. I only have 16,000 miles on it now.

·
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Your at 16 now? I'd go 25 to 30K before checking again.
adendum: the servicemanual isthe gospel! lmao

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
When I talked to my service manager when I got the bike, even he said "I wouldn't do it until at least 25K, every one we've had apart at 10, needed nothing."
I have 19K on it now, it sounds and runs great, I'm not the least worried about it until it hits 25-30K.

·
Battery Guy
582 Posts
I've got 25K on my 05 and I've no intention of going to the time and expense of this valve inspection until at leat 35 - 40K the engine runs as well as when I first got it with 2K on it. In any case I would'nt trust any of the HD dealers in this region with my lawnmower let alone this job after the mess they've made of some of my mates aircooled models. I spoke to an independant motorcycle mechanic who services all makes and he said of the 6 other Vrods he works on, not one of them needed any valve adjustment even after 60k provided you're not drag racing or using the engine flat out all the time.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
I was excited that I got to use the fancy spreadsheet that was made up for checking the valves that is posted on the site somewhere. I don't have any other useful info cuz when I check my shims they had megacycle cams and the motor hadn't been run very much. Then the other times I checked them out was after something bad happened and I put it back together again.

·
'04 1300
3,069 Posts
I had mine checked at 10k because I was concerned about pitted cams after RJ's experience. Valves and cams were fine, and the bike seemed lots faster due to my wallet being $650 lighter. The next 'check' I had was at 23k when the motor was rebuilt. I'll probably do the next check myself next winter--I should have about 15k+ on the big bore build by then.

Does anyone know where the lash spreadsheet lives? I just did a serach and can't find it.

·
Bags R For Groceries
1,058 Posts
I have almost 21,000 on mine and had it scheduled to check the lash in October of 08 but broke my wrist 2 days before it was supposed to be done :banghead: , so I decided to wait until I can ride again before I get it done. No valve noise and it still runs great so I might just have it checked at 25,000. JMO. Besides my dealer :deal: said they haven't seen any problems with any of the VRODs they've checked at 20,000.

41 - 60 of 179 Posts