Votes: 37 8.9%
  • Over 30,000 miles

Votes: 80 19.2%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 179 Posts

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
RJ I know you've lashed your bikes? Post up man!
Not exactly......I had bad cams. They were pitted and replaced under warranty at 18K miles.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
I'm at just about 20k and have never checked mine. I also don't have any intention on doing so unless I need to pull the motor which may happen if I ever paint my frame.

·
FireBum
485 Posts
I have 20,000 hard miles and I'm curious about what I should do. The engine sounds the same. Will it develop some valve train noise when it wears? I don't have much faith in the local dealers knowing what to do with it.

·
Noel
4,581 Posts
What I found

My bike is a 1320 big bore which was installed at about 2,000 miles.

I had the bike ~CHECKED~ at the local HD shop, they had said all was fine on 11/05/2006 at 17,459 miles, that check including routine oil change cost me $669.80

On 10/16/2007 I pulled my engine to investigate why I had severe leak-down losses with only 23,733 miles on the clock.

The leak down issues was attributed to damaged Pistons, broken skirts.

The Valve Lash was way-out, note the head was a special modified, 1mm over sized valve setup done at the time of the big Bore, also the cams were aftermarket.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not exactly......I had bad cams. They were pitted and replaced under warranty at 18K miles.

How long ago was that? How did you get them replaced under warranty? I have a 03 with 12k with 3 of the 4 cams pitted, HD dealer said it was too old and out of warranty, So I'm going to go with jones cams. I also found out they still have this problem in 07. thanks for any info. :chainsaw:

·
Registered
284 Posts
25k on mine. do not plan to go inside...sound the same as when i bought it a runs good....am planning for a build up at 30 to 35k

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
How long ago was that? How did you get them replaced under warranty? I have a 03 with 12k with 3 of the 4 cams pitted, HD dealer said it was too old and out of warranty, So I'm going to go with jones cams. I also found out they still have this problem in 07. thanks for any info. :chainsaw:
I hit 18K at the end of the riding season in 2004. It was only 6 months into the ownership of the bike, so it was under warranty at the time.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I have a few questions for you about having your valve lash checked.

1st) This poll is for how many miles you have ridden before checking the valve lash without negative results for not following the recommended service interval.

2nd) For those of you who have exceeded the service recommendation, please post up what the findings were when checked, How many shims were changed. How much of an adjustment was needed with the changed shims?

There have been many times I have seen people post how far beyond the service recommendation they went without issues. This will collect all this information in one spot.
i have checked the valve lash on a lot of v-rods. at 10,000 miles only a few have required adjustment and i have never had to change more than 2 valves out of the 8. at 12,000 miles maybe one out of three require adjustment. still if it was my bike i would have them checked by 15,000 miles just to be sure. i haven`t seen a problem with a v-rod yet but i have seen some metric bikes with badly damaged valve seats because the lash hadn`t been checked. just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
My bike is a 1320 big bore which was installed at about 2,000 miles.

I had the bike ~CHECKED~ at the local HD shop, they had said all was fine on 11/05/2006 at 17,459 miles, that check including routine oil change cost me $669.80

On 10/16/2007 I pulled my engine to investigate why I had severe leak-down losses with only 23,733 miles on the clock.

The leak down issues was attributed to damaged Pistons, broken skirts.

The Valve Lash was way-out, note the head was a special modified, 1mm over sized valve setup done at the time of the big Bore, also the cams were aftermarket.

i have seen valve lash tighten up prematurely with some shops valve jobs . i have no idea why because i haven`t had that problem. i have a customer with 20.000 miles on an 88 cu in motor i built that has had no problems . one thing that must be checked carefully is clearance between the piston skirts at bdc.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
i have checked the valve lash on a lot of v-rods. at 10,000 miles only a few have required adjustment and i have never had to change more than 2 valves out of the 8. at 12,000 miles maybe one out of three require adjustment. still if it was my bike i would have them checked by 15,000 miles just to be sure. i haven`t seen a problem with a v-rod yet but i have seen some metric bikes with badly damaged valve seats because the lash hadn`t been checked. just my two cents.
Perfect time for head work....;)

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
When I hear them if you read the manual it is a audible check if you cant hear them there fine.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
I waited until 18k (06 Streetrod) and found all of my cams pitted on the nose. I blame it on Lonnie, because I have to run the shit out of my bike trying to keep up with him. I think they must not have been heat treated properly. If I had checked them at 12k I probably would have seen some damage then. The moral of the story is, if you don't want to pay for them yourself you should check the clearance when the manual says to or at least before the warranty runs out. I have to say other than the oil pump the rest of the engine looks like new.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
With my fresh big bore motor I am going to check my valve lash at 15k. Also at the rate I am riding now it will take me 5 yrs to hit that. LOL

Dale I am with you I blame Lonnie on everything, he is the reason why my bike was in million pieces. I was all about sending it away, thanks to him I got a bitching 02 and I am seasoned veteran on the motor. As he said to me awhile ago,"If I ever find out you are taking your bike to the dealership for service of any kind I will kick your ass!" :)

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Lonnie told me my engine has demons in it and the only way to fix it, is to bury most of the stock engine parts in the back yard for 50 yrs. He gave me this list of parts that Big Wil put together that includes CP pistons and Jones cams and all kinds of other stuff and told me if I buy all those parts and let him help me put the engine together the demons will go away, but my bike is still going to be slower than his. I think he is some sort of V-Rod witch doctor.

·
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Lonnie definately has vr voodoo in his bag of tricks. That's only reason I am playing mad scientist in my garage.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,376 Posts

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Lonnie told me my engine has demons in it and the only way to fix it, is to bury most of the stock engine parts in the back yard for 50 yrs. He gave me this list of parts that Big Wil put together that includes CP pistons and Jones cams and all kinds of other stuff and told me if I buy all those parts and let him help me put the engine together the demons will go away, but my bike is still going to be slower than his. I think he is some sort of V-Rod witch doctor.
That list has some goodies of mine on it too. Hit me up we can discuss that end of it. Good luck once you start talking about pulling your motor and working on it Lonnie is like flies on shit. Next thing you know your cases are on a machine and you are pushing VH 2nd gear sets on. HAHAHAHAHAHA Wish I could help, Big Wills was straight forward!

21 - 40 of 179 Posts