Votes: 37 8.9%
  • Over 30,000 miles

Votes: 80 19.1%

• Total voters
181 - 184 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
36k miles now and still haven't checked the lash. A few years back I talked to the Stealers shop manager and he told me as long as you don't "beat" on it,you should be good for 20k miles. I don't do burn-outs or high rpm shifts..Ya sure I've done three or four 1st to 2nd to 3rd shifts and had the rev limiter activate but I normally shift at 4 or 5k rpm. I change the oil religiously with Mobil One. I hope to hit 40k by season end. I'm confident as far as mechanical ability goes,so I'm thinking of checking lash this winter,the only thing that holds me back is getting the motor un-hooked to tilt it out of the frame. How difficult is it to do this? My Stealer wants $450 to do the job but even though I've been happy with any work he has preformed for me ( back when I got The B I had him do the chrome engine kit..the first estimate was $650..a few months later I told him he quoted me $450..he said "are you sure?? we wouldn't make any money on that!" so we settled on $550 :) I saved $100!) So can I trust him to even CHECK them?? If I do it I'll know it gets done to my satisfaction!

'Crewzr
The job is easy. The hardest part is getting the front valve cover off (you MUST have the front engine mount loosened as far as it will go). Stupid design in that area, but otherwise everything else is easy. Also, make your life easy and spend $4.00 on a Harbor Freight magnetic telescoping wand. It will prevent dropping a shim.

Other must have: Ball end Allen wrenches. I think 5mm is the main one. Buy a small set off Ebay or Amazon a week before you do the job.

FYI: I found my "Hot Cams" set of shims on Ebay for $20.00. No brainer for a lifetime supply.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Harbor Freight also has the ball end allen in several varieties.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,425 Posts
I have every type of tool you can imagine,so proper tools aren't the issue. I wish there was a member who lived in the area who has done this and would be willing to lend a hand and some moral support! lol.. I have plenty of "home brew" hard cider to help the job go easier :p

'Crewzr

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have every type of tool you can imagine,so proper tools aren't the issue. I wish there was a member who lived in the area who has done this and would be willing to lend a hand and some moral support! lol.. I have plenty of "home brew" hard cider to help the job go easier :p

'Crewzr
Wrong side of the country for me or I'd be over (especially if you could make it 0 calorie brew....race training right now..doh!).

181 - 184 of 184 Posts