Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went in to make an appointment today with 8k miles and after 6k with no prblems my rear valve cover started to leak again. First I was not happy that they tell me that it is now under extended warranty and has a $50 deductable (it might be different if this was not the fourth repair). Second they wanted to do the ten K , 20% early and when I told them that the 04 states valve check at 20k they said that the 04 was a different engine. I then ask him if I really looked that dumb? I'll take it in next week for the valve cover to be resealed and you can bet I'll call and get the deductable waved just for the fun of it.

Max

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes John.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure that the lemon law even applies to scoots in the state of Texas, but I don't want to lemon law it anyway. I could fix the oil leak myself but I payed for the extended warranty because the engine design was new and untested when I bought the bike. Since I paid for the service not to mention it is the same problem and only problem this bike has ever had I just want this problem repaired.

Max

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Max:

Just a question, but how much oil are you talking about leaking here? Is it just a drop or two, or is it more substantial?

I remember when you had the original repair they smoothed out the chrome and put Yamabond(?) in there - I'd have thought that would have taken care of it pretty much permanently.

Like many others, I've had a drop or two of oil show up -but I've always just wiped it clean with a shop towel. It seems to have pretty much disappeared (between miles ~4500 and 10,000) - and now I don't even give it much thought. Of course, it also seems to have disappeared after I installed my chrome valve cover fasteners - but somehow I doubt that had much of anything to do with it. Your thoughts?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vroddrew, this is on the same cover but opposite side leaking now. As a tech any oil leak bothers me, if you drive for 20 miles at 70+ mph you will have a drop coming off the back of the head.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Looked back for your thread on this, Max.

Mine is blowing off the cover back onto the frame, so it's more than a drop or two here.

Val

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
It might not be the cam cover.It could be the oil vent that goes to the air cleaner.That's what my leak was.
Max
I wouldn't pay a dime.Nor is the 04 engine different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts