Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
HooYah !
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
06 A model. Has anyone had any problems with the vehicle speed sensor acting up ? After a long days ride...when coming to a stop, my idling jumps up to around 2000. Of course the dealer cant duplicate the problem, and wont listen to my recomendations. After some research in the shop manual, Ive narrowed it down to the VSS.

Comments..suggestions ?

Dale

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
Don't think the speed sensor has anything to do with idle speed, it only senses the speed of the transmission gears. Might be a dirty IAC on the throttle body.

Mike

·
HooYah !
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok...so that will cause high idling after a long days ride ? It will only do this after several hours of riding. Never from just crusiing around the city. Thanks for the info. Ive already gotten more from you than Service Dept here. They claim they rode it non-stop for an hour. However I reset my tripometer, and there was only 8 miles. Go figure...HAHAHAHA

·
Registered
33 Posts
Your actual idle changes ? not just the gauge right.
The throttle body had a motor that adjusts the idle speed, and I think their may even be a screw stop there too, but when programming my Daytona TT module they talk about making sure that the throttle plates are shut closed before you program because the heat will sometimes keep the plate open a little, which will mess up the programming!! SO it maybe that the heat is holding it open ?
I would try blipping the throttle hard when this happens and see if it closes. If that doesn't work, maybe open up the top and look down at the throttle plates and push it closed with a clean stick ? see if its actually sticking ?
Hope that helps some.

BH

·
The Hawk
3,895 Posts
Take off your air cleaner filter, look down between the velocity stacks and there is a square hole, that is where the idle air is taken in at. Get some carb cleaner and spray it in that hole with the motor off, let it sit for 10 to 20 minutes, start it up and spray it again while it is running. That should clean the IAC valve (Idle Air Control). Also check and clean the area right below the throttle butterflies as that could be part of the issue as well.

Mike

·
HooYah !
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bradty..yeah it the engine rpms hover around 2k. Noticebly enough that my buddies hear it above their bikes. Reminds me of an old Carb bike I had that woulld idl fast when the choke was open. Hitting the throttle doesnt help Ive tried that. Dont have the Daytona on mine. This was a problem even before my PCIII. I'll try the carb cleaner solution Elgavilan recommends. I'll check to see if they are sticking open if it does it again.

Again, thanks guys for the info. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK. I was just refering to what my instructions said when I was installing the DTT. They mentioned that the heat could be a problem when the plates try to close that bore in the throttle body. I can see that happening if its really close, or maybe like Mike said, could be dirty, or maybe both since you only see it when the bike is hot!

Brad

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Combatswimmer said:
06 A model. Has anyone had any problems with the vehicle speed sensor acting up ? After a long days ride...when coming to a stop, my idling jumps up to around 2000. Of course the dealer cant duplicate the problem, and wont listen to my recomendations. After some research in the shop manual, Ive narrowed it down to the VSS.

Comments..suggestions ?

Dale

Yes. My VSS went bad. The only thing that happened was the speedo needle dropped to 0 and the odomoter quit turning. Nothing more. (That was on my Softail, but it is the same part and does the same thing.)

I am only posting this to help confirm that is not your problem.

·
fire up !
700 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
The only thing that happened was the speedo needle dropped to 0 and the odomoter quit turning. Nothing more.
when that happened did the tacho also drop to zero ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts