Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen this V-Rod Sidecar concept?

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
There's some talented engineers out there.
It's bloody horrible, but great workmanship either way!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I took 3 pictures of a similar one at Daytona. Look under "Rallies and Group Meetings", "Live From Daytona..PICS" thread.
I heard the owner explaining that the front-end was designed the way it is to turn left and right without leaning - the front wheel stays flat to the ground. The small tire was tested to 140 MPH.
It was in a H-D bike show on Wednesday entered in the trike class, and it got a whole lot of attention.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Just think what are Side Hack Racer thinks?! ;)

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
Its ugly, but I guess useful.

Hey Raymond, I bought my bike in Ft. Lauderdale from a fellow with your exact name! (not related to me though)

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
OMG that is a horrible use for a V-rod! :yak: What a waste. Maybe it was kinda like Monster Garage: You do it just to see if you can? :hmm:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ErVikingo, not related...

·
V-Rod Addict
466 Posts
F-ugly

·
Registered
290 Posts
Super Kaz said:
Just think what are Side Hack Racer thinks?! ;)
The issue with the tire staying flat with the road is correct. Mine has a leading-link (Earls) front end like many sidecars, but when I turn sharp the tire tilts a bit and it rides on the edge of the tire. The above sidecar probably handles slightly better when turning sharp than a rig with forks and flat profile (car type) tires. But the only time you need to turn very sharp is in parking lots and similar where you're not at speed, so it doesn't make a lot of difference out on the road. The look is "different".

Attachments

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Zijspan said:
The issue with the tire staying flat with the road is correct. Mine has a leading-link (Earls) front end like many sidecars, but when I turn sharp the tire tilts a bit and it rides on the edge of the tire. The above sidecar probably handles slightly better when turning sharp than a rig with forks and flat profile (car type) tires. But the only time you need to turn very sharp is in parking lots and similar where you're not at speed, so it doesn't make a lot of difference out on the road. The look is "different".
Is Your steering More for Racing or is His? :hmm:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Super Kaz said:
Is Your steering More for Racing or is His? :hmm:
His would not last 5 minutes where I go, but then again I don't think he'll be going where I go (see second photo below). In the dirt mine is fine cause the dirt generally gives a little, so the slight tilt doesn't affect steering much. I need a simple but very rugged setup, and I have that. And for me, and you, and most racers, low speed handling is not so important! For roadracing his might be slightly better if it was built to take the extreme racing stresses. For any sidecar with a round profile motorcycle front tire, the "flat with the road" issue is not an issue. In my opinion, he did that setup because it is "different". It's largely a show bike. With that front-end, more people gather around his bike, right! The "flat with the road" point quiets down the people who want a practicle explanation.

Oh, and for me what does it matter, cause the wheels are off the ground half the time anyway! :thumb:

Attachments

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Great Pics Keep them Comming!Can you wheelie your bike in the dirt? :diablo:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Super Kaz said:
Can you wheelie your bike in the dirt? :diablo:
<------ Did ya see my avatar? Though that's my Sportster sidecar, not the V-Rod.

Doing any kind of big wheelie with a sidecar can be quite challenging. With a couple hundred pounds off to the side, the bike tends to pull to the side pretty bad. So it's not as easy as with a solo bike. But, aside from that, it's not a big deal if we can get the traction in the dirt. Jumping is actually easier that doing a wheelie. The photo below is with our Honda CR500 sidecar (half the weight of my V-Rod). I would never do that (60 feet) on my V-Rod sidecar, but a small 15-20 foot jump would not be a problem.

Attachments

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Zijspan - I have seen your site and a short doco on what you have done with the bike and where you take it. Awesome stuff mate.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Dam Bro Thats Sick! :notworth: I did some work with a Few Factory Super Bike Teams and Got to try and put their rider back together after every race!The Out doors weren't as Bad Injury wise by the Super cross was a Killer!Did you every stadium race your Hack? :kaz: I'd Hate to Case a Triple on a Hack! :eek:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Super Kaz said:
...Did you every stadium race your Hack? :kaz: I'd Hate to Case a Triple on a Hack! :eek:
This is what happens when there's two doubles in a row, and you back off after landing the first pair :banghead: and case the second pair (while leading). Not the fame and glory we were looking for! Anaheim Stadium (B/W photos courtesy L.A. Times). The last photo is how it's supposed to go (Silver Bowl stadium Vegas). Hey, we're way off topic. Nothing V-Rod here!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts