Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the bike has been out for a few years now and it is becoming apparent that there are also aftermarket wheels making there way on to the bikes...

Just wondering the consenses on changing the solid billet OEM wheels takes away from the bike when a spoked or other is bolted on ..

I really think the stock wheels in polished look look great but chroming them makes the wheels look low end...jus' not the right wheel to be in chrome IMHO:2cents

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
vilzrod there are a lot of pictures of bikes in the gallery with custom wheels and they look great. At this time the cost of custom wheels is stil the issue for me they are a lot of change.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
I just received my new wheels, rotors and pulley from Pro-One. Gotta say, they did a sweet job on these! I would highly recommend checking them out!

I see you're from Calgary, Vilzrod. I'll have my bike at Kane's in about a week or so getting the work done (got a few more things to do myself yet). You could stop by and see them if you'd like.

·
2,552 Posts
fehrc

Please let us know how the Pro-One setup works without the cush drive. I have been informed by many other wheel manufactures that the cush drive is a must on a V-Rod.

Thanks
Frank

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Hey Frank,

The lack of a cush drive, or compensator, was a concern for me intially due to everything I had originally heard. However, after talking to Pro-One myself, and getting the parts manager at my dealer to talk to them, my concerns were put to rest.

I am not that mechanically inclined so can't comment in detail, however that's why I had the parts manager at my dealer talk to them. Through these conversations we learned that Pro-One has done a lot of testing without the compensator. They have one V-Rod with over 40,000 miles on it and have had no problems at all - and confirmed this by checking the bike at regular intervals throughout their testing.

The only time they had a problem was when they put their wheels on a bike that was used strictly for drag racing. In this case they used a substantially lower tire pressure and of course were constantly dumping the clutch at high rpms. They said that after MANY runs they could see some wear in the drive train.

The bike they have over 40.000 miles on was ridden hard but was not of course used strictly for drag racing.

The parts manager at my dealer had a detailed conversation with Pro-One's technical experts and after the call had no problem with me going for the wheels. You could say I am trusting Pro-One and my parts manager - hopefully this does not turn out to be a bad decision.

If any of you are thinking of going with a Pro-One setup but are still not comfortable with the lack of a compensator, I would be glad to call them and ask them again for some details on their testing, etc.

Craig

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Not installed yet, Frank. Just got them on Monday. I've got a few things left to do myself with the bike and then am taking it to my dealer in about a weeks time to get this and other stuff done.

I won't be able to post pics until mid Feb due to timing of the work and me being out of the country until then. If you'd like I could take some pics of the wheels, rotors and pulley not on the bike. I know it's not the same, but if you wanted to get an idea this might help a little.

Will definitely keep you posted.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Will do. Will post them in a couple of days - currently in the process of moving and the bike and wheels are at a friend's place.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
I bought the Nova wheels, rotors and pulley.

As a note, I see ChopperSteve/V-Mod now sells Pro-One stuff.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Pro-One Wheels, Rotors and Pulley

It's hard to capture the workmanship in a pic, however I am very pleased with the quality!

Here's the rotors and pulley...

Attachments

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Last one...showing a little more of the detail, i.e. ridges, etc.

It had a hard time deciding which ones to buy...I just hope these look good on the bike!

Attachments

·
2,552 Posts
fehrc

What size rear wheel and tire combo are you going with. Now if you want them to last allot longer. Have Ozzy clear coat them. As I understand it he charges $150 per wheel. He guarantees them not to turn yellow or dull out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts