Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reached 500 miles after 3 days with my new Muscle, so I added Tab slip-ons as well as a K&N filter and PCV. The bike's performance is outstanding and has exceded my expectations. I have ridden my neighbor's Star Raider(stage 1 mods as well) and was impressed with the amazing torque and acceleration of his bike. I couldn't wait to see him on his bike so that we could race. Tonight was the test. I was a bit concerned since the V-rod was hardly broken in and his Raider had about 5k miles. Well there was no need for any worry... It was all over, shifting out of second gear. The Raider got smoked! Three times! Including giving him a holeshot and then a rollon at 50mph. When we stopped he said, "your bike is f*&%in fast". :dance:

·
Land Pilot
148 Posts
:thumb:

I ride with a bunch of guys who have Star motorcycles. It's only taken a couple of 100mph+ bursts for them to realize that my Vrod is NOT a typical Harley.

It also pisses them off that everytime we stop, all the locals gather around the D and don't give their bikes a second look...

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
yeah a guy here just bought one a few months ago.. he thought he had the fastest bike around until i showed him otherwise

·
INCONCEIVABLE!
1,529 Posts
HD should have used the name Raider instead of VRod ... it's a cool sounding name

·
Non-stop-rider
889 Posts
I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with my friend's Raider. For the big tank that it is, it's got some good ole get up and go.

But we are still faster :)

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If I owned one of these wannabe's and a tiny 1130 cc 2 cylinder whooped my ass,I'd take it into the dealer and have them fix the sad performance problem of an engine that has 724 more cc's than the one that just whooped my ass.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I thought from the title this was going to be a "Which name is worse" threads.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I reached 500 miles after 3 days with my new Muscle, so I added Tab slip-ons as well as a K&N filter and PCV. The bike's performance is outstanding and has exceded my expectations. I have ridden my neighbor's Star Raider(stage 1 mods as well) and was impressed with the amazing torque and acceleration of his bike. I couldn't wait to see him on his bike so that we could race. Tonight was the test. I was a bit concerned since the V-rod was hardly broken in and his Raider had about 5k miles. Well there was no need for any worry... It was all over, shifting out of second gear. The Raider got smoked! Three times! Including giving him a holeshot and then a rollon at 50mph. When we stopped he said, "your bike is f*&%in fast". :dance:
I did the same with my hopped up Iron 1200+cams+exhaust+breather
:spank:

·
boredom kills
2,310 Posts
If I owned one of these wannabe's and a tiny 1130 cc 2 cylinder whooped my ass,I'd take it into the dealer and have them fix the sad performance problem of an engine that has 724 more cc's than the one that just whooped my ass.
.......so much for the rest of Harley's product line then, the Raider performs like a Dyna, the bike it is meant to compete with.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well the extra 4K rpm range a Vrod has doesn't hurt either. I have a Yami Stratoliner which is the exact same as a Raider except for the chopper like geometry of the front end. Motor is identical at 113 ci. I just had a custom mapping done with a Big Air Kit, V&H 2-1, and a PCV for the only mods. Final numbers were 98.5 hp & 118.49 tq. These numbers are not out of the norm for those upgrades. So a Raider should be about 84 hp stock. I can spank most V-twins out there including the HD 110 SE. However when I shift from 1st to 2nd (ie 5k rpm), the Vrod is just hitting it's power band from 5k-9k. That's when it's over. It's going to be damn hard for a low rpm air cooled bike to compete with a liquid cooled high rpm bike. CC's be damned.

I wouldn't trade my Liner for any Twin Cam bike HD makes. However a new touring Vrod would be a completely different story!

V-rodder

·
Registered
221 Posts
Let me just add one small opinion............

118.49 foot pounds of torque is a serious smile maker, without a doubt. I love my 04B V Rod but I can only dream of what it would be like with that level of torque at the ass end. Horsepower is often used as a measure of a bikes ability to make speed but torque will always impress me the most when I'm sitting on the bike going through the gears. For me, there's just nothing like that feeling of the bike trying to rip out of your hands and that's why I like the Sundowner seat I put on my Rod. It kind of takes a little of the load off my hands, wrists and elbows when I'm shifting quick at 8,000 rpm. Let's face it, on any V Rod that's running at least as well as it did when it was new, shifting at those revs is very serious and you'd better have that thing pointed in a safe direction or you're in for a world of hurt.
Just my two cents.
Respectfully,
Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts