Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
why didn't they compare it to another crotch rocket instead of a Deuce, most likely because against other crotch rockets it comes up short.
I know when the v-rod first came out that sales were virtually so dead that they actually shut down and temporally closed the v-rod production line for about 4 to 5 months because they had warehouses full of them and no one was buying, why do you think that the v-rod prices have steadily come down since its introduction, while Deuce prices continue to rise.

I like this guy....LMAO
I think it is a compliment to try to compare a Cruiser (v-rod) to a "Crotch rocket" like they say "its a cruiser that thinks it's a sport bike "......I think i like the way it gets peoples emotions going .....there is a new sheriff in town.

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Sound like a bunch of hater duece owners don't like getting compared or beat by a V-rod have not read the article but from the responce I would say it was good for the rod :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: Mine is better than yours :rofl: :rofl:

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
People are just gonna have to get over it.It's the future for HD.HD is trying to appeal to the younger generaton(raised on HP),while switching some of the traditional riders over to the future.
IT"S A HARLEY

·
Registered
472 Posts
I had a hard time deciding between the Rod and the Deuce.
I rode them both, one after another, at the dealership.
At the end of the day (literally) I wanted to buy today's technology instead of yesterdays, and didn't want to see my bike age prematurely as the world passes it by. I remember when fuel injection came out and people bashed it in favor of traditional carbs. Now, look where the world has gone.
But, I really like the Deuce and couldn't blame anyone for buying it.
I'd be happy with it.
But I'm happier with my V-Rod.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My V-rod was the 34th Harley I've owned. I'm thinking about selling my 2002 FLHTC to buy a 2nd V-ROD. LOVE'EM!

·
Registered
555 Posts
jlbait said:
My V-rod was the 34th Harley I've owned. I'm thinking about selling my 2002 FLHTC to buy a 2nd V-ROD. LOVE'EM!

34 Harley's DAMN !!!!!! does that work out to one ever other year :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
Interesting but these guys are too quick to say Porsche built the engine, not true, as we all know. And second what to they think Porsche and HD hasn't worked together in the past. Heck, Porsche work with HD on the development of the heads, to improve the flow, on their EVO engine which their loved 88 evolved.

I guess we could tell them Porsche also made their engines, but I don't think they would be open enough to realize it or understand the connection.

Dave

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I rode with a '03 103ci SE Road King over from New Orleans. I have to admit, that engine is STRONG. In 5th gear roll ons at 85 we were side by side to 115 mph (I know, I could have shifted down to 3rd and cleaned him, and I DO have the big Windshield, and he has a short one). But it was impressive.
And his wife can ride forever on the back. The '04 SE Ultra is looking pretty good as well. Oh yes, the sticker on the SE road King was $30K.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My very first motorcycle was a 2001 Deuce. After the second season, I installed a 103 C.I. engine, and increased the Hp to almost 100. I drove it one more season. On December 24, 2003 I purchased a 2003 V-Rod. I did not get to ride it until February 28, 2004. We had enough rain to wash the salt off the street, and the temperature got up to 50 degrees. I put 460 miles on the bike that weekend. There is no comparison between the Deuce and the V-Rod. The V-Rod is much smoother, especially at speeds over 90 mph. After I had 300 miles on the bike I went full throttle. The V-Rod is faster than the Deuce, even with the 103 engine. I had a lot of trouble keeping the back wheel under the bike, but I didn’t let off. It eventually straightened itself out. What a fantastic ride. The traditional Harley guys just don’t know what they are missing. The V-Rod does not just appeal to young people, I am 54.

I guess you are asking yourself what happened to the break in period. Like I said, I'm 54, I don’t have time for no stinking break in period. I bought a five year warranty.

:ride:

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
Daniii said:
I rode with a '03 103ci SE Road King over from New Orleans. I have to admit, that engine is STRONG. In 5th gear roll ons at 85 we were side by side to 115 mph (I know, I could have shifted down to 3rd and cleaned him, and I DO have the big Windshield, and he has a short one). But it was impressive.
And his wife can ride forever on the back. The '04 SE Ultra is looking pretty good as well. Oh yes, the sticker on the SE road King was $30K.
Can you imagine how fast you could make a v-rod with $10K and still have less than his $30K invested? :mrgr:

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
Could do that Road-Rod setup, plus engine mods, and leave that King in the dust.
I too like the Duece, but the V-rod is the only Harley to ever catch my eye... before the V I was looking a Buell, or never gitting rid of the Kawa. I have a few friends that have told me that they are really starting to like the V-rod after not. I tend to think that they were more worried about what others people thought than following their own heart. One bought his Duece when I bought my bike, and he has been eyeing mine to the point I am almost getting jealous ;)
Seriously, if the old-timers would just get over trying to follow the crowd, they would probably be more open to the direction Harley is going here. Anyway, the V got me to buy a Harley, so the plan is working.
Greg

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
Apples and Oranges, the Rod and the Deuce. People have different demands of their cycles, thus the multiple models available. It always cracks me up to hear someone proclaim that their model is the best, and every other idiot who doesn't own one has squandered their money. The V-rod is the best bike available FOR ME. If I was a millionaire (I'm not), I'd have a garage full of bikes - not all of them V-rods, not all of them Harleys either. I applaud HD for their paradigm breaking in the creation of the V-rod. That has attracted a whole new market segment (myself included).

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
VA V-Rod said:
And second what to they think Porsche and HD hasn't worked together in the past. Heck, Porsche work with HD on the development of the heads, to improve the flow, on their EVO engine which their loved 88 evolved.
An interesting footnote to Harley history is that both Vaughn Beals (who went on to lead the management group that bought H-D from AMF) and Pete Schutz (who was for a while CEO of Porsche) both worked for Cummins Engine Co. in Columbus, Indiana in the early 1970's.

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
By the way, since when is getting help from Porche engineers a BAD thing? Last time I checked, they were making pretty good engines.

I've always liked those old t-shirts with the slogan, "If Harley-Davidson made airplanes, would you fly in one?". I think HD needed the help.

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
The only similarities between a v-rod and a real harley is the 45 deg. v-twin engine block
Idiot wanker :chair: .....

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
God, how many forums do you guys watch???? Max, good reply, as were the others supporting tolerance, an open mind and the mighty v-rod!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
LOL Karl just trying to be PC. :)

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
When I bought my V-Rod it was between it and a Deuce. I ended up with what I have and a friend at work bought the deuce. Everytime I saw the deuce I thought it was great looking and still would except for that he traded it after 4 months on a new BigDog with a 107 S&S because the deuce was a dog compared to his previous bikes, Vmax, and he just plain old needed more power.

Now you see deuces everywhere, whereas V-rods are still far between.

Ken

1 - 20 of 26 Posts