Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having so much fun with this new V-Rod that my Road King Classic is spending more time in the garage. The bike is so sweet for touring but I'm starting to think about setting up my V-Rod with a touring windshield, vinyl covered hard bags, a luggage rack and sissy bar combo with the leather SAC attached. I think it would be a great set up for all around riding plus the added benefit of freeway trolling. I have a trip to the west coast (Oregon to see family) planned for June of next year.
My concern is this:

GAS? Such a short range! I average 40 MPG. I guess that's good because after a tankful of gas, my butt needs a rest at the next gas station.

CRUISE? I've become sissy-fied using my electronic cruise. I love it. Can the V-Rod be set up with electronic cruise? I'm sure you can get some type of throttle locking device that you can use for cruise but you just can't beat electronic cruise.

Any comments or suggestions? Has anyone tried the hard bags? Can they hold rain gear, leather, gloves, etc.?
Thanks guys,
Fred

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
The throttle already has a friction lock which I use all the time. And electronic cruise would be great however. If you go with the touri ng shield, you'll want the Memphis Shades lowers to prevent the updraft under it. I like the soft leather bags. They won't hold my 1/2 helmet, but will hold a 1/2 gallon of milk jug (for those trips to the store). I have a Sac which works great for the oversize items. It can be located either in front or back of the passenger pad. Sundowner seat rules.

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daniii,
I already have the touring windshield and you told me about how well the Memphs Shades lowers work. I'm going to order a set today.
Thanks for the tip.
Fred

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Danii,

Could you explain in simple terms for a small mind how the friction lock works? As in, how to use it?

Tx,

Val

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Val you will see what appears like a thumb screw on the right side just below the switches. While your riding if you turn that clockwise with your thumb until some pressure is felt it will lock the throttle grip at that point. I don't apply any more pressure then is needed to hold the grip so that it can be twisted back in a hurry if need be. And of course turn the wheel counter clockwise to release any pressure. It works like a crude cruise control.

Max

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Daniii,
In talking with my supplier on the Memphis Shades lowers, a question came up regarding whether or not I wanted the 'low profile' or 'standard' universal mounting brackets? What does your bike use?
Thanks,
Fred

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I got these from V-Mod - PN MEM9887. I suspect they are regular (they don't have an option on that site)

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, they are the standard and not the low profile.......... I'll let you know how they work out.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Set up my V-Rod for touring to go roundtrip L.A. to Sturgis! It was great! I've got the leather bags, touring windshield, engine guard with highway pegs, Corbin dual-touring seat (with removable driver backrest,) J&M speakers hooked to an iPod, and Saddlemen sissy-bar luggage.

600 mile days were not much problem. We stopped for fuel every 100 miles or so, which was fine with me!

Electronic cruise control would be nice! Anyone have any info? I'm not a big fan of using the friction lock.

:biker:

·
1,738 Posts
oldhd: since you also have a black bike, have you considered the hardbags in "Vivid Black" (chrome lids)? I am going back and forth about whether or not the vinyl covered or the gloss black will look best with my bike.
Fred

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
V-Fred,
I'm thinking of the ALL black vinyl hard bags for my all black bike. I really like the 'dark look' and am thinking of getting more parts black powder coated especially the wheels. They are difficult to keep clean and preserved because they are RAW ALUMINUM. Why HD did that is beyond me? Maybe to sell more wheel cleaner and wax?
Anyway, the vinyl hard bags with the leather SAC, touring seat with the black seat base and low sissy bar and touring pad to mount the SAC. I ride solo so I'm planning on mounting the SAC on the pillion seat rather the rear rack. I'm trying to make it as clean as possible. Daniii told me about the Memphis Shades lowers, which I ordered yesterday, to cut the updraft when you have the HD touring windshield mounted in it's upper limit.

I'm planning a trip to Oregon next June so I hope this will all wotk out for me. If not I'll ride my Road King Classic. HAHAHA!!!!!

That's my plan, I hope it helps. I haven't seen the vinyl covered bags up close or pictures on a bike other than the catalog. I'm hoping they look good. For a thousand dollars they BETTER!
Fred

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Val: I put "off the shelf" HD billet hiway pegs on my engine guards. HD says they don't fit the V-Rod, but I'm thinking they refer to the frame, which is larger.

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
oldhd said:

GAS? Such a short range! I average 40 MPG. I guess that's good because after a tankful of gas, my butt needs a rest at the next gas station.

oldhd ,i posted a picture in the gallery of a v-rod that has a extra gas tank built into the shell, but i have no more info on this.
this isnt the first one i have seen, so somebody must be making them...if i find out anymore info i shall post it, and i hope if somebody finds a supplier before me, they will post it.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I like the leather bags, but have discovered two problems: 1.) The metal HD decorative bars on the outside tend to separate (JB Weld fixed that and 2.) At speed, into the wind, the velcro top facteners aren't adequate, even with both snaps snapped. I may add buckles. But they are very damage resistant! And I should know.

Dan

·
1,738 Posts
oldhd: Check out my post in the Gallery of v-twin forums.com for pictures of my bike with T-bags (set-up similar to Daniii) but without the saddlebags:

http://205.214.91.71/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21103&pagenumber=2

I am not sure if you got my point on the "Vivid Black" HD Hard Bags. In addition to the Black Vinyl Bags they now make a black painted Hard Bag to match your paint job. It still has the Chrome Lids.

Fred

·
Black Beauty Rider
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
V-Fred,
I did understand your point on the black bags with chrome lids. My preference it 'dark' and that's why I would like the vinyl covered hard bags. If you are dressing up your black V-Rod with extra chrome parts then Vivid Black bags with chrome lids would look great.
Fred

·
1,738 Posts
oldhd: I get it. I think the vinyl would be more resistant to damage than paint. Bags stick out and can clip things if you are not careful. By the way, Hales will sell the vinyl bags at $759.00 plus $20.00 shipping. [email protected]
Fred

1 - 20 of 24 Posts