Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after much searching and little luck finding one, I have spoke with the Engineer at my shop, and It looks like we are going to attempt to reverse engineer the tall sissybar rack for the v-rod. Small run, maybe 1000 pcs, half chrome, half black. The problem, we dont actually have a tall sissybar to reverse engineer. I have my shorty and we are going to attempt it with that, but was wondering if anyone in west michigan either...
1)has tall sissybar we could borrow for a day, the only thing we would do is measure it on a CMM for dimensions and T/P of holes....or
2)if anyone has CAD data for the tall sissybar they could email me, I can open just about anything from PCDmis to Solidworks to plain old CAD.

Material specs would be a bonus, if anyone had Vickers or Rockwell info as well as carbide content.

My next question, am i allowed to post a bulleting like this??
thx
:chainsaw:

·
Unknowingly absent
914 Posts
Interesting!

Oh yea, if you get them made, put me on the list...

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
The ownership of this forum might require you to register as a VENDOR if you start selling that large quantity. Nevertheless, it is a good idea. I am in need of a tall sissy bar. The wife needs to be comfy when riding 400 mles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our intent right now is not to use this forum to sell them, just to gather info. We might use our own website, maybe ebay etc. First step first, Lets make them.
thx

:spank:

·
EXCELSIOR
8,490 Posts
If I might suggest something before going to that trouble.
Since you have a CMM, and it is likely tied into some sort of 3D software package, or can be easily.
I would take my dimensions from the base plate as most of the sissy bars I've seen don't fit exactly right. The bars are made of 5/8" solid round stock and are quite stiff.
Then use a small bar and measure the pad fit area.
Take the two and use some creative license and make one that is better than the discontinued Kuryakin model which interfered with the luggage rack.
There was a guy on here a year or two back that mde his own and did quite a good job of it. I PM'ed him about making one but never got a response.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, Now that's exactly the input I am looking for. Experienced user input. I didn't know about the luggage rack problem(since I cant find one). I do know I would like to make them a little longer(moved back). Mama does need to be comfy, and at 110#'s, she is tiny and has absolutely no room with the shorty and thick pad.
and regarding a couple of PM's I got, Yes, I am serious, we do intend to make these. I had to convince our sales guy we could sell 1k to get them to agree. I just explained it wont be all at once, Might take a year, but they would move. There is way to much interest in this bar, and no one has it.

thx

:banghead:

·
EXCELSIOR
8,490 Posts
The height and set back of the Kuryakin tall bar was good.
The only complaint I have with it is that it eats up 2" of your rack, which is minimal enough as is. The other one I mentioned earlier was much better thought and bent and acheived the same result.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd be interested in a chrome one, provided it worked with the HD base plate and luggage rack. How tall are you thinking about making these? Like a number of others, mama needs a little more back support that the short rest from HD.....

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Do you still need the tall sissy? If so, I would send you my Kuryakyn to use for measurement. I only use it when the wife rides with me. If this will help other members I am all for that!

PM me with details.

·
Dog In Training
1,514 Posts
Do you still need the tall sissy? If so, I would send you my Kuryakyn to use for measurement. I only use it when the wife rides with me. If this will help other members I am all for that!

PM me with details.
Thanks tray for offering to help us out. I've been looking for a tall sissy bar like the Kuryakyn for 3 years.

Hey Big Pappa - I would like to get in line for a chrome one for sure! I've been waiting for someone to take on this for sometime now.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had the Kury bar and the Kury removable luggage rack, and they fit fine with each other. I would like to buy one, and actually I was thinking of making a larger sissy bar this time myself, having just purchased my 2nd Night Rod, a brand new 08 D with ABS.

My wife said the tall Kury bar was still a little too short, and she was right. It needs to be up to the middle of her shoulder blades to be a good place to lean back, and that's going to be 2"-3" or so taller than the Kury bar.

Thank you for sharing the bar stock dimensions, I didn't remember if it was 1/2 or larger, and 5/8 sounds good. Make it tall, drill 8 holes, and chrome it. Sure, how hard can it be......:). Please note sarcasm, because I know nothing is ever as easy as it looks!

Big Papa- This is what the forum is all about. Thank you for taking the lead on this. When you begin to sell them, you'll need to post in the vendors area, but as you can see a lot of folks would love to have what you are going to build, and a little 'consumer help' just helps you hit your target market better, and we get a product more likely to meet our needs. Can't see a problem there!

·
Shady
255 Posts
I am interested in a chrome one as well. Can not find them anywhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update

Ok, here is where we sit. Hopefully in the next day or so will be hammering out the details of getting a kury mailed to me to be measure. I do need a little more user input.
first, looks like might mix up the ratio of 75% chrome instead of previous 50/50.
second. I went and bought a luggage rack today so we could measure if its possible to move it back an inch or two more.
third. mixed readings on interference with luggage, can someone provide a picture of this interference or explain what is interfering?
fourth. I too would like it as tall as possible to maximize comfort for she who makes all the rules.(makes life great for me) but the question would be where would the optimal height be where everyone would still want it?
fifth. sarcasm understood, appreciated and returned at will.
I will be taking my base plate, my mini and luggage rack to work monday to run thru the cmm to get some cad data. I am guessing with in the week I will have tall Kury in hand to cmm as well(Kudos out to Tray).

thx for all the input.

BP

:moped:

·
Registered
30 Posts
FWIW, I had the missus sit on the pillon pad and tell me where she'd like to have the top of the backrest hit her back. Measuring from the top of the current shorty bar (not the top of the pad), another 6 inches would put the top of the pad just about mid-back. We looked at where it would need to be to hit her upper back, and we thought it would look waaaay to tall (easy-rider tall, if you know what I mean).

My $0.02 anyway.

·
matt blk & fire hot
1,569 Posts
The height and set back of the Kuryakin tall bar was good. The only complaint I have with it is that it eats up 2" of your rack.
I do need a little more user input.
second. I went and bought a luggage rack today so we could measure if its possible to move it back an inch or two more.
third. mixed readings on interference with luggage, can someone provide a picture of this interference or explain what is interfering?
on the stock short bar to stock rack there is very little room to move the bar back any at all. I can just about wedge my finger between the bar and rack, but thats it. I would guess you could angle it back a bit more if need be.

Measuring from the top of the current shorty bar (not the top of the pad), another 6 inches would put the top of the pad just about mid-back. We looked at where it would need to be to hit her upper back, and we thought it would look waaaay to tall (easy-rider tall, if you know what I mean).
Yeah, the whole "easy-rider tall" thing would be a bit much! only good down south, but would not cut-it out west at all.

I am most likely in for a black, if the stock pad will fit back on the new bar, and it can be mounted without hitting the stock rack.

wife wanted one of these from day one. I told her no one makes anything. if this looks good it would make her happy?, or less bitchy?
she also wants a king-queen seat?!?!? talk about "easy-rider"! on a V-Rod? holy crap!
PLEASE DON'T MAKE A SEAT!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
king queen seat

I think your safe there. we are not set up for leathers lol
We did go out and buy a mustang 2 piece touring saddle set up tho. I want to make sure, that at least my tall sissybar will fit with this on it. Keeping my sundowner for the not so long trips.

bp

:stilpoke:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
update

ok, Tray's sissy bar is back in the mail to him. We have our data and are moving forward. After viewing the kury against my mustang seat, I personally would like it to be a little taller, as with this seat, it barely clears the leather.
Will update as soon as we get a working prototype done.
thx everyone.

BP

:stooge:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Honestly, I think it would sell like hot cakes if you made it a quick release!!! Like the models the airheads have that take 2 seconds to take off. I have a small sissy bar now for the wife and would not buy another if it doesnt come off easy. I would love to have one that is more comfortable for her, then I could take it off for solo rides. I know it would take more work, but most people with v-rods are not going to want a permanant massive sissy bar on the back.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts