Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sell motorcycle parts at SideRoadCycles.com and I am working with The Leatherworks to develop a Solo Bag for the V-Rod. We created the solo bag in the photos as a one-off for a customer and we want to research if the bag could be brought into full production.

We would be willing to give away a few free bags in exchange for some help.

The solo bag hangs low and would not work with the V-Rod Muscle dual pipes.

Any suggestions on which V-Rods models we should look at? Which have different frames?

It would require that the rear passenger peg gets removed. Part of the help we need is to determin how best to attach the bottom of the bag, so that it does not swing out when you corner.

Anyone who wants to help would have to agree to give us the feedback and help work with our template. People don’t need to live in Stockton, we can ship it wherever. But if they lived near Stockton, CA and The Leatherworks factory, it would help.

I had trouble uploading photos, so I added them to a web page:
http://www.sideroadcycles.com/ImportedMotorcycles/Leatherworks/V-Rod_Solo_Bag.html

Thanks, Jim

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
There are three bolt holes in the frame that are plugged on the left side from the factory. They are used on the right side to mount the stock mufflers.

If you could make an attractive bracket that holds the bags in place by using these mounting points, that would do it.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
There are three bolt holes in the frame that are plugged on the left side from the factory. They are used on the right side to mount the stock mufflers.

If you could make an attractive bracket that holds the bags in place by using these mounting points, that would do it.
Yup.

And there are three basic frame designs:

2007 on AW D, X, DX and F (V-Ros, Nightrod, Nightrod Special and Muscle). The bag you have already done will fit those, although only if the Muscle has a two into one.

2002-2006 A, B, D (V-Rod and Nightrod). These have a narrower frame. I don't know if your bag would fit, this would be an obvious thing to check.

VRSCR 2005-2007 (StreetRod). This has a different, taller frame and is quite rare.

I'd love to help but Portugal is doubtless too far away. I like the bag though, and if you offer a bracket rather than wanting me to remove my pillion peg, count me in for one.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Great looking bag,definetly something I could use commuting back and forth to work and day trips!! I could handle pulling of pass. pegs to have this..I'd just throw it back on when the wife wants to cruise. How far along have you gotten with this? Any pricing ideas yet? Please keep us informed! Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow Jim,

Those look good! I like where they are located, still new to the nightrod but I would buy them, as I have been looking for bags.

cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thought I would chime in - I had a Lick's solo bag on my Sportster and really liked it so would be interested in this. Nightrods have different ergonomics though and I'm wondering if the mid-mounts would make the rider's leg bump against the bag too much?

·
(Peter)
488 Posts
I like the bag alot. Much better than saddle bags. I have an 03 narrow frame with a 5 gallon tank install. I used to use the Standard issue HD frame bag which mounts around the same frame triangle. However, the 5 gallon tank fits so tight that I can no longer get the straps around the top frame member. How does this mount at the top? Many of us with earlyier model V's have also done the tank upgrade and may have the same problem. I would definitely buy one if this problem was addressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
acecookie, I was looking at the pics supplied and I think your legs would ride just in front, nice thing about the location is the weight would be evenly distributed around the center of gravity of the bike allowing for more efficient handling off set by the pipes on the other side, just as long as the bags were able to hold close to the mid line of the bike without swaying outwards in a corner. However, if one were to have to stop, then the bags may be a bit of a hassle, as you would have to work around the bags. I think I could live with it, or would it be possible to "half moon" the bag somehow to allow for maneuverability?

·
Registered
41 Posts
acecookie, I was looking at the pics supplied and I think your legs would ride just in front, nice thing about the location is the weight would be evenly distributed around the center of gravity of the bike allowing for more efficient handling off set by the pipes on the other side, just as long as the bags were able to hold close to the mid line of the bike without swaying outwards in a corner. However, if one were to have to stop, then the bags may be a bit of a hassle, as you would have to work around the bags. I think I could live with it, or would it be possible to "half moon" the bag somehow to allow for maneuverability?
Hmmm..I could hold up my sportster solo bag (still have it) maybe just to get an idea? I was concerned about hitting it at a stop though - I have to throw out my legs pretty smartly as am only 5'7! Balancing out the pipes even a little would be nice for sure.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
What about installing a couple of snaps to the bottom of the bag that would attach them to the lower belt guard. this would kee the bag in place when cornering. I would like one for my narrwo fender bike if you need someone to mock one up...

Project

·
Registered
61 Posts
Awesome

count me in i absolutely love it & need something like that... I have an 09 NRS by the way with a Reinhart 2 to 1 exhaust...

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm in for one of those bags if you put them into production. My hunch is you could easily sell a dozen here as a group buy.

If you need detailed pics/measurements feel free to IM.

·
Steppenwolf
159 Posts
I would like to have a bag like that too - found nothing like that before :dance:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Progress Report on V-Rod Solo Bag

I'm just now getting back to this project.

Here is what we know so far.

VRSCF V-Rod Muscle: Solo bag will not fit due to dual exhausts pipes

VRSCD Night Rod and VRSCR: Street Rod: Solo bag will not fit due to Mid-mount controls

VRSCDX Night Rod Special (Model Years: 2007–Present): Yes, Solo bag will fit because it has forward controls

The VRSCAW V-Rod (2007–2010) and VRSCX V-Rod (2007) have forward controls and the same frame as the VRSCDX Night Rod Special, so the solo bag should fit

VRSCA (2002–2006) and VRSCB V-Rod (2004–2005), the VRSCSE Screamin' Eagle CVO V-Rod (2005) and VRSCSE2 Screamin' Eagle CVO V-Rod (2006) : were only offered with forward controls, but have a narrower frame than the VRSCDX. I don't know if your bag would fit, we need to test.

One thing to emphasize is that the passenger foot peg will have to come off.

So, I will contract a few of you who own a VRSCA, VRSCB V-Rod, VRSCSE and VRSCSE2 to help test. We will mail a pattern and see if it looks like it will work.

Thanks, Jim

--

American Side Road Cycles
http://www.sideroadcycles.com/

·
Registered
568 Posts
Outstanding. I'd be happy to take some measurements and photos for you.

Eta: oops..you already have dx measurements. Sorry

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
Watching this thread closely...............

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Solo Bag for VRSCDX Night Rod Special, VRSCAW & VRSCX

We have "posted" the Solo Bag for VRSCDX Night Rod Special, VRSCAW and VRSCX at:
http://www.sideroadcycles.com/ImportedMotorcycles/Leatherworks/V-Rod_Solo_Bag.html

I appreciate all the help from the 1130cc.com forum members. If you buy a solo bag, please ask for the 1130cc.com forum 5% Discount by writing it in the Special Instruction section of the order form.

Photos in a prior thread:
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140432

We are not sure if the Solo Bag will fit the VRSCA (2002–2006) and VRSCB V-Rod (2004–2005), the VRSCSE Screamin' Eagle CVO V-Rod (2005) and VRSCSE2 Screamin' Eagle CVO V-Rod (2006) : These bikes do have the needed forward controls, but have a narrower frame than the VRSCDX, so we are not sure if the Solo Bag will fit. We are researching.

Thanks, Jim
--
American Side Road Cycles
http://www.sideroadcycles.com/

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts