Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2004 VSRCA V-Rod that has a key fob. The previous owner was the 2nd owner and it doesn't look like he knew anything about a security system. He did say he dropped the key fob on the muffler and it melted the back over the battery so I need to replace the key fob. Does anyone know where the security module is located? Under the air box? I ordered a service manual but it hasn't come in yet. It must be disabled because I don't have any problems starting or riding the bike...

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
I just bought a 2004 VSRCA V-Rod that has a key fob. .....Does anyone know where the security module is located? Under the air box?...
Not if it hasn't been moved. The OEM position for the TSSM (turn signal/security module) is under the passenger pillion on a 2004 VRSC bike.

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'll check it out...I'm pretty sure most of the bike is original...at least the seat/pillion are...

·
Asatruar
2,935 Posts
What? How do you disable it ?
IIRC,the fob on the earlier models is different from the one on your '07 in that there is a button in the center used to turn the security system on or off.

Wouldn't apply to the later models.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Normal operation on that year bike is disabled until you enable it.

Enable it by tap the key fob once. The turn signals will flash twice and if it has the optional siren, it will chirp twice.

Once enabled, the red security icon on the spedo will flash every second or so...

to disable it, tap the key fob twice (fast), the turn signals will flash (no chirp from the siren when disabling) and it's disabled again. The red led will no longer flash on the spedo...

When you get the manual, it will show you how to change the settings to "auto enable" if you want the alarm to auto activate a few minutes after the bike is switched off. It will also show how to disable the alarm without the fob and change the sensitivity of the movement sensor. You'll need to know the bike code to make changes...

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Normal operation on that year bike is disabled until you enable it.

Enable it by tap the key fob once. The turn signals will flash twice and if it has the optional siren, it will chirp twice.

Once enabled, the red security icon on the spedo will flash every second or so...

to disable it, tap the key fob twice (fast), the turn signals will flash (no chirp from the siren when disabling) and it's disabled again. The red led will no longer flash on the spedo...

When you get the manual, it will show you how to change the settings to "auto enable" if you want the alarm to auto activate a few minutes after the bike is switched off. It will also show how to disable the alarm without the fob and change the sensitivity of the movement sensor. You'll need to know the bike code to make changes...
Thanks for all the info...now I just need to figure out if it's actually got one but I'm pretty sure it does from what I've seen so far.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Thanks for all the info...now I just need to figure out if it's actually got one but I'm pretty sure it does from what I've seen so far.
Easy to check:
  1. Set engine RUN/OFF to OFF
  2. Toggle ignition switch ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
  3. Press left turn signal switch 2 times and release:
  4. Check for response:
One flash: TSM = no security system
Two flashes: TSSM = North American / Domestic security system
Three flashes: TSSM = European/HDI security system​

·
Registered
83 Posts
HD as put parts of manual online, here is a link about the alarm system, it may help you

Good luck

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easy to check:
  1. Set engine RUN/OFF to OFF
  2. Toggle ignition switch ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
  3. Press left turn signal switch 2 times and release:
  4. Check for response:
One flash: TSM = no security system
Two flashes: TSSM = North American / Domestic security system
Three flashes: TSSM = European/HDI security system​
Awesome...that confirmed it..results were "Two flashes"...

Thank you....

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HD as put parts of manual online, here is a link about the alarm system, it may help you

Good luck
Thanks for the link...lots of good information here. I've bookmarked it!

·
Gettin' Wiggy
31 Posts
I bought an aftermarket alarm thinking my 2003 VRSCA didnt have a factory alarm as I received no fob.......but when I went to intall the new alarm, I dicovered a TSSM under the passenger seat!!!

I did the test above to confirm I have an alarm already....and I do!

How can I have an alarm with no fob?

Can I get a new fob and "program" it to my bike??

Thanks for input!

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kyle,

My understanding is you can. My fob was damaged when I got the bike but I have not gone to HD to try and replace it although I've thought about it.

Terry

·
Gettin' Wiggy
31 Posts
Followed these steps...............

Key FOB Assignment:
Procedure must be completed with no pauses between steps greater than 10 seconds.
1) Set RUN/OFF switch to OFF and verify that vehicle is disarmed (security lamp is not blinking).
2) Turn IGN key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
3) Press left turn switch 2 times. The indicators and signals will flash indicating vehicle configuration:
1 flash indicates TSM with no security features
2 flashes indicates North American/Domestic TSSM
3 flashes indicates European/HDI TSSM
4) Press right turn switch 1 time. Indicators and signals will flash 1 time.
5) Press left turn switch 1 time. Indicators and signals will flash 2 times.
6) Press and hold FOB button until confirmation is seen: Indicators and signals will flash 2 times. This confirmation could take 10 to 25 seconds.
7) If there is another FOB to assign press and hold second FOB button until confirmation is seen: Indicators and signals will flash 2 times.
8) Turn IGN key OFF

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool...how much was the FOB...I didn't try to pick one up yet and figured you would need to have some sort of code so the dealer would have to do it...

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool...I'll pick one up next weekend then...

·
CENLA V-Rodder
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kyle,

Did you need to have your new fob programed at the dealer or did the steps you posted work?

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
Terry and Gettin. AN EXTREME WORD OF CAUTION.
First read the owners manual and set a PIN code.
If you ever lose a fob or it dies and you do not know or have not set a PIN code, you can not disable the security system. If you do not set the PIN code and do not have a working FOB you buy a new TSSM. A couple hundred dollars here.

Set that PIN code and buy a second fob and hide it somewhere on the bike. The owners manual tells you how to sync the fobs to the TSSM and how to set a PIN code.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts