Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started the process of tearing the bike down and coming up with an estimate on the damages for the insurance company. I posted pic's of the bike in my album. The frame is bent and one of the side rails is bent. I'll have the total cost for repairs by tomorrow, then it's wait and see what the insurance company is going to do. This will definetly be a fun project this winter :)...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finished up the estimate for the bike. Cost of parts and labor just over 12k so the bike is totaled. The insurance will find out what the salvage cost is and deduct that from the resale value of the bike and cut me a check then it's onto medical, pain and suffering which we all know will be a fight to get a fair settlement out of them but in the end I'll get what's fair and rebuild the bike better than what is was before the accident with some added goodies thrown in :)...

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Good news!
Save that "B"!

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good news!
Save that "B"!
LOL oh yeah, I love this bike and though she's a lil out of shape right now, she'll be look'en good and smok'en rice rockets for lunch by spring time :)...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have some old take-off parts I could send your way...:D
LOL damn, I was gunna say the same thing :)... Bout the only thing I'm going to keep is the frame and motor everything else will be new and improved :)...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the value back from the insurance company, they put the bike at $15,546.84. They are waiting on a bid back from the salvage company, once that is done they will let me know the figures. If I accept the salvage bid and want the bike, then they'll subtract the salvage bid and the pay off on the loan ($7300) and cut me a check for the difference. I'll bank that money until I reach a settlement with them on the medical, pain and suffering and then begin ordering the parts. I'm pretty sure I can restraighten the frame, it's not tweeked too bad so I believe I'll be ok there. I most likely won't begin the settlement until December when I know for sure about my lower back. LOL I'm not healing up as fast as I thought I would, old age and senility setting in :). One thing for sure, come next spring my baby will be back with more steroids and looks :)... On another note, I rec'd a call from #1 cycle and machine in Arizona, he finished repairing my cases on my 07 FLHTC so I'll be able to start putting that motor back together. I put a Pro-charger blower on it and spun the left flywheel on the crank which took out my left side case. I upgraded to the JIMS 113 inch stroker kit with a lot of other mods, I should be looking at 180 rwhp and about that in torque once she's back up and running. Sooooooo, next spring if all goes well, I'll have my hot rod and dresser ready to go out and find some rice to burn :)...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rec'd a call today from the adjuster, he got a new value on the bike :) $15,546.84... :) He's waiting for a bid from a salvager and will let me know what that is in the next day or so... This will be the first test as to how much the insurance company is going low ball me... I figure a fair salvage bid for the bike would be no more than $3000 so if he tells me more than that, I'll just tell him to come get the parts :)... Should be easy for the salvager, it's all apart now except for the motor :)... Once we agree on a price then they'll cut me a check less the salvage cost and the loan pay off on the bike which should leave me with $5k towards the rebuild... Trust me, I'd rather not have been in this accident, I hate dealing with insurance companies and getting a fair deal... Most times you have to hire an attorney and they are nothing more than blood suckers and take 45%, pretty soon the client will get 30% and the frigg'en lawyers will get 70%...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whelp, I go to my family doc, she puts me on oxy's and has set me up for rehab (6 mos to a year), standard stuff right :)... So, I go to my chiropracter today that I've had for over 30 years, he asks me if the Hospital took x-rays, I told them yes they took x-rays of my shoulder and elbow and a CAT scan on my neck but I assumed they also did my back cause that's what I was complaining about the most. He reviews what the hospital did and comes back and tells me they didn't CAT scan or x-ray my lower back!!! So he takes x-rays and tells me he wants a second opinion from another doctor on what to order, either a CAT or MRI... Ain't this great, the frigg'en hospital doesn't even check my back and releases me... Guess it's time to get an attorney...

On the bike, I'm still waiting to hear back from the insurance company on what the salvager will offer for the bike and depending on that I'll make the decision on what I want to do... The main frame is toast... The frame where the gas tank is, is bent to the right by almost a half inch so there's no straightening it out... So, if I buy the bike back the first thing is the main frame and left side rail, that will be right at $2k just for it... The motor is fine and the turbo isn't touched so I'm ok there...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good luck, get well soon, and keep us posted.
Thanks I appreciate the kind words :)... I haven't heard anything from the adjuster yet, if I don't hear something soon I'll call him, it doesn't take this long to get a bid from a salvager... It may come down to me buying my turbo back and have them come get the rest of the parts and pieces... If that happens then I'll look for another V-Rod, buy it and tear it down and bring her back up with a few more bells and whistles :)... Once I get everything squared with the insurance company I'll start the rebuild process and post updates as I go along and have pic's of the build in my albums for those who are interested... Great bunch of people on this forum can't say the same for the V-Twin forum, got some wise a$$ ignorant folks over there but there are some good folks too :)... I've got two major rebuilds to do this winter and put together the rest of the work for my vocational school that I started the paperwork on this past year... My goal is to have the school up and running by next fall or for the winter quarter in 2012... The school will be a vocational retraining school for people with disabilities to learn new job skills... I've got a boat load of work to get done to make that happen, I'll be offering just the one class in motorcycle technology until I prove that the school will do what I say it will and then expand to more classes... I have to file my 1023 form with the IRS to get my corporation registered as a 501(C)(3) non profit... Once that is done then I can legally solicite for grants and donations and the donors can write them off as a tax deduction... I am on total disability myself so I know all to well what the system does to those who have disabilities and I would like to change that... Right now I am training one man who lost his leg below the left leg in a skydiving accident... He is the inspiration for building this school... Anyways, I've rambled on enuff... Take care...

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whelp, I won't be able to bring the B back to life... The salvage bid came back and I wasn't going to pay what they said they would to buy the bike back so, I bought the turbo and the salvage can come get the rest... So, now I'll start looking for another V-Rod to buy and then do the mod's to it that I was going to do on my V-Rod, so this thread is dead... It probably won't be until spring before I buy another Rod as it will probably be that long before I settle out with the insurance company on the pain & suffering etc... Soooooooooo, when that happens I'll start a new thread and post as I go along on the project... Thanks to all for the kind words, empathy and prayers, it is appreciated... I sure hate to see my baby go but she was too far gone to save her...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts