Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear pulley broke! the back guide rail (rail closest to the inside of the wheel)..... simply fell off. Not breaking off, the pinched metal lips on the pulley simply were not enough and it fell off. Never, EVER, had this happen on any Harley or V-Rod I've owned. Alas, now I get to play the waiting game with Harley Davidson during a pandemic. If anyone has a rear drive pulley they are looking to sell for a 2012 and up with 240 mm and cush drive, please let me know! I am trying to get a bike trip in July and who knows how long Harley will be.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My rear pulley broke! the back guide rail (rail closest to the inside of the wheel)..... simply fell off. Not breaking off, the pinched metal lips on the pulley simply were not enough and it fell off. Never, EVER, had this happen on any Harley or V-Rod I've owned. Alas, now I get to play the waiting game with Harley Davidson during a pandemic. If anyone has a rear drive pulley they are looking to sell for a 2012 and up with 240 mm and cush drive, please let me know! I am trying to get a bike trip in July and who knows how long Harley will be.
Seen this before. It is possible to drill and tap small holes around the joint line at each web, and retain it with screws. Use a dab of loctite to stop them from coming loose.

·
Premium Member
11,255 Posts
That was a problem a few years back. Try search to see what others did to alleviate the issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, can't believe the rear lip was stamped on instead of cast or bolted. I think I will do what coast rider is talking about. Unfortunately, the rail fell off some 200 miles from my house so I was forced to cut it off and limp the bike back home. when I get the new one, I am sure I will modify it.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Thanks guys, can't believe the rear lip was stamped on instead of cast or bolted. I think I will do what coast rider is talking about. Unfortunately, the rail fell off some 200 miles from my house so I was forced to cut it off and limp the bike back home. when I get the new one, I am sure I will modify it.
Your belt isn't tracking toward that ring , is it? That will push it off as it's not intended to see pressure from the belt. Belt tracking should always be to the solid side. Drilling and tapping for button head screws is a good upgrade just in case.
Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like it is, but it's all
Your belt isn't tracking toward that ring , is it? That will push it off as it's not intended to see pressure from the belt. Belt tracking should always be to the solid side. Drilling and tapping for button head screws is a good upgrade just in case.
Ron
It looks like it may be, but its all stock. Tension is set correctly, and has both stock pulleys. It shouldn't be tracking.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
It looks like it is, but it's all

It looks like it may be, but its all stock. Tension is set correctly, and has both stock pulleys. It shouldn't be tracking.
Rear wheel alignment could cause that. Check it with a straight edge both sides to the front wheel.
Ron

·
VRSCF
1,265 Posts
A machine shop will drill and tap it for you, I had my original pulley machined, powder coated and then the ring re installed tapped and screws, it was a much cheaper than a fancy aftermarket pulley

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a spacer that goes between the pulley and wheel hub (in the middle of the cush drive)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, this probably explains why my F**king pulley broke to begin with. there wasnt a spacer between the pulley and cush drive when I took it off. Surprised the inside wasn't damaged to hell.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That exact thing happened to me about 8 yrs ago or so. I tapped screw holes and screwed it back on. It held up well after until the pulley got replaced with a new one for something else a few yrs ago. I just threw away the old one last week.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Is there a spacer that goes between the pulley and wheel hub (in the middle of the cush drive)?
That is the spacer I said to you be careful not to mix up with the others! Part no . 40668-07
If that spacer was missing then you will need to change the bearing in the pulley also as it will have been side loaded and damaged. Bearing no. is 9254
I don' t think that spacer being missing will have caused your pulley damage as it would have just pushed the pulley further in making the belt further from the lip, unless it wasn't running true due to it sitting on the cush hub webs as opposed to the centre. That's possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is the spacer I said to you be careful not to mix up with the others! Part no . 40668-07
If that spacer was missing then you will need to change the bearing in the pulley also as it will have been side loaded and damaged. Bearing no. is 9254
I don' t think that spacer being missing will have caused your pulley damage as it would have just pushed the pulley further in making the belt further from the lip, unless it wasn't running true due to it sitting on the cush hub webs as opposed to the centre. That's possible.
so..... .that spacer wasn't there. I have replaced all the bearings immediately after I saw I was missing the spacer and am currently hunting down the entire spacer kit for the rear and checking everything on this bike. Trust me, I was not happy when I saw this. Not at all. Someone was playing with the rear wheel who wasn't competent enough to play with a LEGO set.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is my dream bike, a 2012 V-Rod 10TH Anniversary edition. Was very happy to get my hands on this one. This is also not the only quirk I have found, the person who previously installed a different set of pipes before I switched to Akrapovic laid the pipe on top of the clutch case and it almost melted/burnt the cover enough to eat through it. Some rookie mistakes here.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
This is my dream bike, a 2012 V-Rod 10TH Anniversary edition. Was very happy to get my hands on this one. This is also not the only quirk I have found, the person who previously installed a different set of pipes before I switched to Akrapovic laid the pipe on top of the clutch case and it almost melted/burnt the cover enough to eat through it. Some rookie mistakes here.
You would be amazed how many people that shouldn't be repairing wheelbarrows work on these, including some in the dealers!!
Not sure you will find a spacer kit as such but the spacers for the rear wheel are:
Brake Disc Side 41242-08 for non ABS (just ABS sensor on ABS models)
Centre of wheel 43704-08
Between pulley and wheel 40668-07
Outside of pulley 41550-08

1 - 18 of 18 Posts