Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Everyone I just purchaced a 2011 V rod muscle it badass. Got a question I put on Tab slip on exhaust and a K&N air filter. The harley dealer tells me all I have to do is a download to make everything right . The performance shop I get all my parts from says I will need to put in a power commander. Have any of you dealt with this yet. Any info would help thx.....

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The Harley Dealer is correct, they can download a correct map for your bike using proprietary Harley Davidson equipment. The performance shop won't have access to this equipment so they will try to sell you a Power Commander to modify the output of the stock HD ECM. You can obtain the same performance outcome either way. I tend to like the HD way simply because it tends to be more reliable. If you spend enough time on this site you will see the anguished cries of owners who's modded, remapped bikes do something ugly and refuse to run, or run like crap, only to find their Power Commander has packed up on them. Others can chime in here but I don't often see malfunctions traceable to HD software products.
Using the HD equipment, however, will generate a history of your bike that is saved electronically, for warranty purposes. Ask a lot of questions and choose wisely. A savvy tech will be able to see where you added a Power Commander, so all bets are off come warranty time if something is F-ed up by modding the bike. Again, choose wisely and know the consequences.

·
Flat Broke
283 Posts
I have the power Commander V and Bike runs great. No way for tech to know you put one on if you take it back off. It is Plug and play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts