Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys:
I am trying to search locally for a V-Rod muscle for my brother. I thought I had a winner yesterday when I went into Barb's HD in south New Jersey yesterday. They only had ONE V-Rod on the floor, a brand new leftover 2009 muscle in silver. I thought we had hit a home run UNTIL I saw the pricing on this 2 year old bike. 18k and change, almost 19 from what I remember, I was totally floored.
In their defense, it was near closing time but the one salesman that did come up to me never did give us his best price, but something tells me, they wouldn't be doing a major discount. In retrospect, in late 2002, I bought a leftover 2001 Triumph Adventurer that I traveled 5 hours to New Hampshire to buy. New price was $8995, I bought for $6200. I traded that bike in summer of 2005 for my D for 5k.
What's going on with HD? Don't they know the country is still in a recession? Why are dealers still holding onto these bikes some more than 3 or 4 years later and NOT doing their best to sell them, even if slightly over cost? While I was also there, I couldn't believe the prices on the air cooled bikes. I have been thinking of trading in both of my bikes for a new Street Glide, UNTIL I saw those prices. The least expensive was almost 22k! I just bought a leftover 2010 Saab 9-3 XWD sedan and spent 22.5k, is HD nuts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
:them: amen

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I saw that in Barbs too. Just order a new 2011 with ABS for just under $16k. That 2009 will be worth $13,500 at best as soon as you hit route 168!

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Kinda crazy. 3 year old leftovers should be less. Plenty of used ones around. I am thinking with a vrod, used is much better, particularly when they go 50K painlessly.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The 2011 bikes are cheaper than 2009/2010 bikes. I would find a dealer willing to deal or shop the web for new and really teach them a lesson. Nothing is better than shopping for parts for a bike that you bought from out of state because the dealer wouldn't take your money.
I really enjoyed explaining to the owner of the shop down the street that I traveled two hours to spend $20K (back in 2005) after an arrogant salesperson (i use the term loosely) acted as if she was doing me a favor by talking to me. :broke:
They did make money off of my warranty service though:banghead:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought my '09 DX new in June 2010 and the dealership knocked 2500.00 off. I had looked at a '09 Muscle in January '10 (same dealership) and they offered to take 2000.00 off it. About all they wouldn't deal on were the Dyna's and Touring, since in this area they sell as many as they can get.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw that in Barbs too. Just order a new 2011 with ABS for just under $16k. That 2009 will be worth $13,500 at best as soon as you hit route 168!
My brother really likes the muscle. I was hoping the bike would be marked down 3 or 4k or better, again, was shocked to say the least. If it were me looking for a bike I might go pre owned and I would travel for it, but he is looking for brand new as he has never bought new and doesn't want to go to far. I thought for sure, it would be so much less, silly me, I guess traveling to almost Philadelphia isn't far enough.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
Yarvis, make them an offer that you think is fair. (maybe $14k) Write it on a piece of paper with your name and number, personally hand it to the sales manager, tell him/her it's your best offer and to call you when they are ready to sell. Then walk out. You have nothing to lose except another trip to Barb's Stealership.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just put a deposit on a 11 Muscle w/abs. Paid MSRP and they threw in $750 in parts. They were gonna charge me almost $1500 in set-up and freight but refused to pay it. Also told them I wanted $1000 in parts but settled on $750. I didn't beat them up too much since they are gonna travel as far as needed to find one in white denim. I think I got a fair deal but the first few dealers wouldn't even call to see if they could find one and wouldn't deal at all on the price.... and they wonder why they don't sell any bikes

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ran into the same situation, I didn't even ask them to try and find one but they were all trying to sell for MSRP plus freight and setup. I called Man O War HD in Lexington KY and they had allocation for one that was supposed to arrive Apr 15th and it was the last day to select options and color so I just ordered what I wanted, hoping it comes early :) That white denim muscle is a good looking bike, I just sat on one in Cinci last week but it was already sold.

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yarvis, make them an offer that you think is fair. (maybe $14k) Write it on a piece of paper with your name and number, personally hand it to the sales manager, tell him/her it's your best offer and to call you when they are ready to sell. Then walk out. You have nothing to lose except another trip to Barb's Stealership.
This sounds like the best course of action yet. My brother is in the process of moving to Florida (this bike would be his) but he wants to leave it in my house for this spring/summer and then ride it down the begginning of the fall. It's up to him now to take this great advice and see if they bite. Thanks all for the great suggestions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i called 6 dealerships and told them i was calling 6 dealerships so i want ur best out the door price and the highest to lowest price difference was $ 1350,,that was back in march of 09 when i got my muscle and most will throw in an extended warr, if u never take it in,it costs them nothing,they tried to give me t-shirts too,told them i wasnt interested-lol

·
Registered
74 Posts
A lot of dealers are still operating under a business model that requires them to sell at a a higher price then what the market will support. These dealers will soon be out of business. Then again then again the market for that dealership may support higher prices. I like the price on the paper method. I always ahve a set price I'll pay, refuse tio have things tacked on to the price, and am always willing to walk. I've made good deals and I've not made a deal. If they know you really, really want it - your going to pay more. also if you act like your just looking or shopping they will not give you there best shot. I also only deal with who ever has the final say on the transaction. If the salesperson says they have to go talk to someone - that's who you need to talk to.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Just put a deposit on a 11 Muscle w/abs. Paid MSRP and they threw in $750 in parts. They were gonna charge me almost $1500 in set-up and freight but refused to pay it. Also told them I wanted $1000 in parts but settled on $750. I didn't beat them up too much since they are gonna travel as far as needed to find one in white denim. I think I got a fair deal but the first few dealers wouldn't even call to see if they could find one and wouldn't deal at all on the price.... and they wonder why they don't sell any bikes
Ordered from what dealer?

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
If Barbs had their act together they would have kept you there and sold you that 2009 Vrod Muscle, instead it will sit and sit hope a smuck will come get it and pay2-3000 more than a New unit. 2012 will be here soon!!!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Hals H-D, New Berlin, WI
2011 VRSCF - White Denim
$15.2 K
I wasn't in love with the paint job...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts