Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a V-Rod wanne be, but still have 3 other H-D's in the garage to make up for it. While currently serving in Iraq I am considering a V-Rod to supplement current rides.

I have some questions about maintenance that are preventing me from purchasing one. I am accustomed to modern low maintenance Harleys whose steering head bearings can be lubed with a grease gun in 2 minutes; on the 'rod the front end must be removed.

I drain and refill my fork oil with 4 screws in 15 minutes, on the 'rod I have to turn the bike upside down or remove the forks.

"Low tech" H-D's have had no maintenance hydraulic tappets since the 1950's, as does my LS-1 V-8. Yet the "high tech" 'rod has to have the camshafts removed for adjustement. In these days of low maintenance cars and Harleys, it seems that the Porsche influence requires you be neighbors with Otto and Helmut.

Am I wrong or is the V-rod actually the antiquated maintenance intensive beast?

I ride a lot when home and do all my own service work. At this rate I will do a lot more wrenching and a lot less riding.

I hope someone can shed some light on this because otherwise it is a magnificent machine.

Cheers

Buck

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Buck in short the V-rod procedures may seem like more work then the old HD models but in reality the bike is so trouble free that it really requires little more then oil and tire changes. Keep in mind that the oil change also covers the primary that you have to do on that old bike and no need to flush the engine while draining the sump tank to get all the oil. The Fuel injection is an excellent system after you modify the poor fuel flange design and has proven to be trouble free.

But don't think about the service on the bike, the bike will sell you with just one ride. If a single test ride doesn't glue a smile on your face from ear to ear then the rod is probably not the bike for you, IMHO.

Max

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
Thanks for serving...
I got my first bike when i was in the Navy... a New Honda CBR600...it was fast and smooth... three bikes later (including a very hard riden sportster) I get lucky enough to bring home a new Vrod ( vrscb all BLACK) it is every bit as smooth and fast as the crotch rocket, but with a much better ride position. Here is my advice... take the 2 of your harleys that are not touring bikes and trade them in for a vrod in your favorite color. The maintenance will be better left to a dealer in MHO because of the trouble it will save you (time, tools, etc...) Good Luck and come home safe!

John

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
I understand why the hydraulic valves don't work in a 9K+ RPM engine, but is there any engineering reason why there isn't a grease fitting on the steering head, and drain screws on the front forks?

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
morey000 said:
I understand why the hydraulic valves don't work in a 9K+ RPM engine, but is there any engineering reason why there isn't a grease fitting on the steering head, and drain screws on the front forks?
Probably because both of these have a 30,000 mile service intervals. Disassembling the fork and triple tree every 30000 miles equates to once every 4 - 6 years for a normal rider. Since the service on the bearings is to repack then they must be removed, not simply shot with fresh grease. In the process of removing them you'll have the forks off so replacing the oil is easy. All in all it looks like exactly what an engineer would spec (being one myself ;) ).

Sorry, but neither of those points are reasons for not buying a bike IMHO.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
:vrodforu:
just wanna let you know that I appreciate and support you,and the rest of the guys and gals in the US military.
The V-rod is a far superior bike compared to the traditional HD's.Like Max and others have said, the bike really only needs oil and tire changes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
One ride and your garage will include the V-rod. The valves on mine after 30,000 miles still have needed no adjustments. No proplems of any kind. Change the oil every 2,500 and on third set of tires. God speed, come home soon!

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
Keep your head down over there, we all want you back in the USA. If you ride it, you buy it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts