Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Oh,and...world peace
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the v-rod design inherently jerky at parking lot speeds? The bike seems jerky at 10-15 mph, and I find myself engaging the clutch to keep things smooth in slow parking lot areas. Will this get better as I get used to the bike?

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Mine is jerky too.I have the 30t pulley still.It's pretty jerky at the low speeds.It's just something the v-rod does.As time goes on you'll get used to it.

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
I had to get used to mine also ('03 w/30 tooth). I plan on getting my wife a V-rod next year, will definitely have the 28 tooth for better work @ low speeds. :whack:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I ride two-up and in a lot of slow-speed parades, etc.
First thing I did was the H-D 28-tooth pulley.
It helps a lot at slow speeds. And it helps coming off the line when the light turns green.

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
anyone notice a difference?

It seems to be something with the Electronic Fuel Injection system. I had a VTX 1800 C and it was even worse...felt like I should be putting quarters in that damn thing like ride at the front door to a KMART store. After I added a Cobra F2000 fuel module coupled with a K&N filter and a Roadhouse exhaust it ran better as it richened up the fuel delivery.

Anyone with a the HD Stage 1 or other performance mods notice an improvement in the "parking lot herky jerky" dance of the VROD?

·
Registered
150 Posts
30 tooth SE stage 1. Mines smooth until below 5 mph. Where you really need to work the clutch any way. Still smoother than my old shovster.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
It's a little better at slow speeds if you add some more fuel but between the light flywheel, rubber cush drive and tall gearing means you need to slip the clutch if you're trying to get the bike to be steady at less than 10 mph.

·
Banned
924 Posts
If you find it's jerking more when low on fuel, you need the recall done to your bike's fuel system. Another symptom is if when low on fuel you look inside the fuel filler and see spraying gas (while the engine is running). Once the mod is done it should run much better at low speeds.

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
The VR is not designed for slow speeds, so you will have to feather the clutch. And let me get this off my mind. This is not your EVO, You have to shift out of first gear around 6500-7500. 5000 rpm is the best riding. Anything less is luggin' Later Ski.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
:stupid: :cheers:

I shift at 7000+ and cruise all day @ 4000 - 5000. The motor (and me) are lovin' it :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Shifting at 7000!?!? The V-Rod love shifting at 8500!! Seriously, I have a 04' and there are sometimes at slow speeds it jerks also. Just a V-Rod. I try not to stay in parking lots very long!!

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
Are you guys serious about riding at 5k rpm all the time? I tried it once (for about 10 miles), and my garage smelled like VRod for hours. Ok, not that I minded :mrgr: , but aside from using fuel faster, this isn't bad for the engine at all??? I read all the posts about what fun it is to jack the rpms, and I LOVE to hit those higher numbers on acceleration, I'm just trying to figure out the 'running rpm' I can live with.

Thanks,

KARAF

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Kalama said:
Is the v-rod design inherently jerky at parking lot speeds? The bike seems jerky at 10-15 mph, and I find myself engaging the clutch to keep things smooth in slow parking lot areas. Will this get better as I get used to the bike?
Ride the rear brake it will help :moped:

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Having ridden to and from Daytona at about 80 - 85 mph most of the way, I can state for a fact that extended operation at 5000 rpm is no problem.

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Whatever!?

To me, there is no right or wrong rpm to shift or run at. The bike is so versatile, and flexible, that I shift anywhere from 3,000 to 6,000 rpm depending on how big of a hurry I'm in; or how much of a thrill I want at that particular moment. I've only hit 7,000 a couple of times, and really like the motor's feel and sound cruising at 4,000 to 5,000 on the highway. If you all like to rev it up more, that's fine too. I'm so used to running my 80 incher at 2,000 to 3,000 that 5 and 6,000 is more than enough to get my excitement level up. I even do a burn out now and then, when space and surroundings permit. I do love those 2nd and 3rd gear roll ons when leaving a stop sign or entering an on-ramp to the freeway; but like I said, 6,000 or sometimes 6,500 is plenty fine. So do "Whatever" you like,.... and enjoy!!
:soapbox:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
qcwiz said:
Shifting at 7000!?!? The V-Rod love shifting at 8500!! Seriously, I have a 04' and there are sometimes at slow speeds it jerks also. Just a V-Rod. I try not to stay in parking lots very long!!
I said "7000+". I've bounced off the rev limiter more times than I'd like to admit ;)

Karaf, As long as the motor can dissipate the heat the internal wear difference between cruising at 4000 rpm and 5000 rpm is negligible. I've had a lot of performance motors in all types of vehicles and not a one of them has had a premature failure because of sustained high rpm usage. 5000 rpm on a 9100 rpm motor is not high rpm and my difference in fuel economy is less than 10% :2cents:

·
Rocky Mountain VRodr
524 Posts
mjw930 said:
Karaf, As long as the motor can dissipate the heat the internal wear difference between cruising at 4000 rpm and 5000 rpm is negligible.
Thanks. I think part of it is getting used the sound at higher revs and not immediately thinking 'time to shift'. I was going 80 this morning and 5th gear was purring at 4500rpm. Plenty of room left.

The other angle on this is, using a higher shifting rpm means I rarely get out of 3rd gear when driving around town. I can take 3rd up to 50 with ease, and 60 on passing no problem. So I only use 4th on wide open roads, and 5th at highway speeds. Gosh darnit I LOVE the power it has!

Thanks again,

KARAF

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
VrodRick74 said:
Ride the rear brake it will help :moped:
I agree Rick... dragging the rear brake adds to the stability at slow speeds. I have become accustomed to feathering th clutch, too.

Greg

·
Registered
393 Posts
mjw930, we must ride the same way. I accidently bounce the rev limiter way too much. Makes me reluctant to up the rev limit with the race tuner (when installed). I was hoping that v-mods would help me hear rather than feel the shift point. Tough to watch that small tach. And 9000rpm is there effortlessly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The 28T mod made mine much more stable at low speeds. I only have to feather the clutch below 10 mph now, what a difference!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts