Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen a V Rod with a FXRT fairing mounted. Looks like it would be pretty straight forward with the Cycle Vision main mounting bracket and some modified lower mounts.
I have a 03 Road Rod as well as an 84 FXRT and was just looking one day thinking that might be a neat idea. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Someone had a photo on this site of a yellow one, but it was lowered and too custom to be a something you would want to take to the Rockies on a road trip. I had the same idea for a VRSCRT, but was daunted by the difficulty of making the passenger accommodation comfortable. As a solo sport tourer, however, I think it would be excellent. I did notice the fork opening on the FXRT fairing is too small for the VRSCR's fork and triple clamp. You can cut away some plastic on the bottom, but I haven't done that yet to see if the inner wall of the fairing will clear the fork. The fairing storage bins and air vents eat up some space inside that fairing that might be needed to clear the triple clamps.
There is something essentially right about the heir to the Nova being fitted with the fairing originally designed for the Nova.
I have also wondered how a Hannigan ST fairing would look on an R. Hannigan has done one but sadly lost the photos of it.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Saw that yellow one. Cool, but too low. Been looking at old Vetter fairings. Might work. Got a set of FXRT bags, but have not made progress with them. Anybody else want to try? PM me. Joe

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Saw that yellow one. Cool, but too low. Been looking at old Vetter fairings. Might work. Got a set of FXRT bags, but have not made progress with them. Anybody else want to try? PM me. Joe
Eh, the FXRT bags are too tall for the exhaust side.
I think Buell Thunderbolt bags might fit and might lood good (ooh, bet you never thought of using those, and they have narrow and wide lids like some BMW bags), but I figured out how to hang VRSCA hard bags on the bike and am satisfied with that for long trips.
They're not the ideal shape, I can't squeeze a 13 inch Macbook inside because they are just a smidge too rounded, but they do hold an awful lot of stuff, especially if you make full use of the room in the lids. They grow on me every time I use them.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Unless you switch to a two into one - then it is not a tall problem. I had looked into using my S-3T bags, but the shock angle made it look bad. I settled on F bags. Work great, hold a ton.

·
Registered
399 Posts
There is something essentially right about the heir to the Nova being fitted with the fairing originally designed for the Nova.
True,that. The VRSCRT idea is always floating around in my head,too. I have over 100K miles seat time on an FXRT and a couple FXRPs. That is one well designed fairing! Excellent wind protection and very smooth and quiet. Even in a downpour my upper body stayed completely dry at 60-70mph. I'm 6'2'' and with a tall window there was no head buffet. The non-stereo equipped earlier RT or the police RP fairings are lighter and cleaner than the deluxe version.

The windows are still available aftermarket or can easily be fabbed as they are not compound curved.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
True,that. The VRSCRT idea is always floating around in my head,too. I have over 100K miles seat time on an FXRT and a couple FXRPs. That is one well designed fairing! Excellent wind protection and very smooth and quiet. Even in a downpour my upper body stayed completely dry at 60-70mph. I'm 6'2'' and with a tall window there was no head buffet. The non-stereo equipped earlier RT or the police RP fairings are lighter and cleaner than the deluxe version.

The windows are still available aftermarket or can easily be fabbed as they are not compound curved.
I have an early FXRT fairing in my storage building out back. It won't be my next project, but it will happen. Hearing how quiet that fairing it is almost makes me regret a BMW RT project I have going.
There is some guy named Elvis who carries the torch for the FXR series with a used parts emporium and shop. You should see the prices he asks for used FXRT fairings! But, he has all the parts and mounting brackets for them.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ric (Elvis' place) has got the sheet for FXR stuff. He will usually bargain a bit if you need something. Back in 1991 I bought 5 FXRPs cheap at a police auction. No one wanted them at all and I thought I'd really f--ked up. They ran real good because they were equipped with a special exhaust, factory milled heads,police cam and ignition. After I stripped the fairings and bags they sold fast and I made a tidy profit. I kept one with the fairing on it and rode it for about 5 years. I used to fly up behind speeding cars on the freeway and they would immediately SIGNAL (rare in Kalifornia) and pull to the right as I sailed by. The drivers were crapping their pants and NEVER looked over at me. Sold it on a whim for a "real" bagger. What a mistake.

The bagger was no where near as good. Ditched it and paid big for a hard to find even then FXRT 1988 model. Flew up to Frisco and rode it home. Put over 70K on that one including 10K with an Aerocharger turbo bolt on kit. 3rd gear wheelies and various hooliganism then turbo off and back to a mild stg.1 setup. Good old motor the 80 inch EVO. I did several 1000 mile days on the RT no sweat. It handled incredibly well for a huge sled and was fun in the mountains and great 2-up. Hauled the wifey many a mile with tons of gear for camping.

I stored the RP fairings for years and couldn't unload them. They went in the dumpster when I moved which is now sickening but there was no eBay or any of that stuff so what the heck. A VRSCRT would be a great machine. Weight and wheelbase similar to an FXRT but....

The FXRT came during the great renaissance at H-D and they were looking forward a bit. I hope that happens again someday. H-D is so stuck in a fashion rut now! A sport touring V would be so cool. In the meantime you can make your own.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
You gotta make it yourself. My wife asked me if I wanted a new bike, but I am happy with what I have. If they make it, I will buy it - but they don't! Joe

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I know! Tomorrow is her birthday, and SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I got her a GO PRO 1080 video camera for her bike. She will love it! Thanks to my friends at Rider's Discount - Mike and TJ. Hooked me up!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts