Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading about the V-Rod on the AHDRA web site. Someone there pointed out that the development of the top end of the v-Rod was done by Ford. And this design was actually a design that was made by Yamaha, and used in the Ford SHO motors of the early 90's.

Also pointed out was that Porches involvement was tranny.

Anybody heard this one before?

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Yep!Know of a Few NASCAR Engine Builders that might have a Little Stake in the V-rod Program?!?! :hidesbeh: So I've Heard! :rolleyes:

·
1,738 Posts
Interesting, some guy came over to admire my bike and told me that someone had done 140MPH at 9 something in the quarter with a NASCAR built engined V-Rod. I thought he was high on something.

Fred

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Nope he was Telling the Truth!Tripp has told me many Time about Top Secret Ford Nascar Helpers in their Engine program! :cheers: I only wish someday to have a Little of Their Help! :surrender

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The Yamaha / Ford connection on the Ford Taurus SHO is true. Yamaha designed and built both the 6 cyl DN5 motor, as well as the 8 cyl DN101 motor.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
What's more likely is Ford (probably Roush) helped out with some cylinder heads back with the race program. Then they were carried over to the V-Rod project and dropped on Porsche's door step when they decided to enlist their help making a race motor streetable.

It's my understanding that Porsche was given the entire package along with a handful of engineers to make the package work.

·
Jamie
60 Posts
Ford was not involved with the development of the top end of the powertrain. This was all done by H-D and PES (Porsche Engineeering Services) together.

H-D does work with Ford on some projects in areas of marketing and engineering, however this program was not one of them.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
JamieMac said:
Ford was not involved with the development of the top end of the powertrain. This was all done by H-D and PES (Porsche Engineeering Services) together.

H-D does work with Ford on some projects in areas of marketing and engineering, however this program was not one of them.
Well if anyone should Know! It would be the Big Mack! :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts