Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During rush hour no less! Started surging a little on the way home yesterday and did it a little worst this morning. Read up on the fuel flange fitting issue and thought that might be what it was – and would check for the mist in the fuel tank when I got home. Well it wasn’t to be. The bike was running like absolute S**t – surging and backfiring and finally about four miles from home started to die and then oil came out from somewhere in the front on the engine. I hit the kill switch, pulled the clutch in and coasted up a convenient exit ramp and down into a shopping center.
What is going on?:wazzup: Can the fuel flange fitting issue deteriorate so quickly into a major shut down? The bike didn’t set any engine codes and would crank up – but sounded pretty rough. The oil checks full and is clean. I still can’t see any obvious area where it may have come from. It seems to have come from the top end of the front cylinder. No more is coming out.
If anyone has had something similar happen could use some help.
 

·
Darth Veeness
Joined
·
2,014 Posts
By all means check the fuel flange but also check your battery. These bikes appear to be very sensitive to battery voltage fluctuations. Good luck figuring out the problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,084 Posts
I would check battery, electrical connections, fuel flange, and possibly voltage regulator. Does the power on self test work? Did it generate a code?
 

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LiquidSilver said:
I would check battery, electrical connections, fuel flange, and possibly voltage regulator. Does the power on self test work? Did it generate a code?
Checked the battery all connections nice and tight. When the key is turned on it runs through the self test and the check engine light turns off. The only indicators illuminated are the neutral light and the oil light before starting the bike - nothing unusual.
One thing I should mention. I have a D&D pipe, K&N, with Rev Tech DFO. If the DFO module failed would it be progressive or just die?
I"m really more concerned about the oil that came out. Is this just some kind of pressure/vacuum issue when the engine shut down at speed. It's still not apparent where it came from or why. Any suggestions? There are serveral threads that discuss similar happenings but I haven't found any yet that discuss oil and any possible damage to the engine from the surging stalling.
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
The aftermarket fuelers tend to fail rapidly. Typically they hold open the injector dumping raw fuel into the cylinder. If the motor died at speed it's quite possible that enough pressure was generated in the crank case to force oil out the vent. Check to make sure the vent tubes under the air filter top are connected and tight.

Pull the DFO off the bike and see how that works, I'll bet that's the culprit.
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
I agree with Mark, this sounds like the case of a bad fueler. Remove it and see if your bike runs normal. If so I suggest changing oil as you probably have fuel contamination from the fueler by now.
 

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mjw930 said:
The aftermarket fuelers tend to fail rapidly. Typically they hold open the injector dumping raw fuel into the cylinder. If the motor died at speed it's quite possible that enough pressure was generated in the crank case to force oil out the vent. Check to make sure the vent tubes under the air filter top are connected and tight.

Pull the DFO off the bike and see how that works, I'll bet that's the culprit.
MAX said:
I agree with Mark, this sounds like the case of a bad fueler. Remove it and see if your bike runs normal. If so I suggest changing oil as you probably have fuel contamination from the fueler by now.
Sounds like a plan. It did seem like the engine was running rich - not lean like a fuel flange failure but the surging seemed to get worst as the fuel level dropped. I was on reserve when the engine stalled at about 65 mph and the cylinders were pumping a second or two before I pulled the clutch and hit the kill switch.
I'll pull the DFO and see how she works. Any suggestions for a replacement fueler. The simple DFO seemed to work fine for my humble needs.
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
Ken,

The Techlusion TFI's seem to be a bit more bullet proof or there's aways the Harley Race Fueler which is a rebadged TFI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
I know that I have fixxed some of those problems with a power commander on twin cams. To fix that I had to take it off and put a race tuner. Also a bad ground will make some crazy things happen.
 

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mjw930 said:
Ken,

The Techlusion TFI's seem to be a bit more bullet proof or there's aways the Harley Race Fueler which is a rebadged TFI.
Mark,

Thank you for the recommendation. I know the SERT is the best for total control and fine tuning but I really just need something to compensate for the pipe and some slight tweeking.
BTW - congrats on the new bike.
 

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vrodracing90 said:
I know that I have fixxed some of those problems with a power commander on twin cams. To fix that I had to take it off and put a race tuner. Also a bad ground will make some crazy things happen.
I'll be sure to check all the connections once I can get the top parts off. Thanks for the info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Do you have a race tuner on your bike or what? If you have a race tuner on your bike you need to go into the data mode and check voltage. If you need help let me know. I have maps for race tuners.
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
KVD said:
Mark,

Thank you for the recommendation. I know the SERT is the best for total control and fine tuning but I really just need something to compensate for the pipe and some slight tweeking.
BTW - congrats on the new bike.
Ken,

Thanks and yes the SERT it the top of the line but I mentioned the Race Fueler. That's the H-D labeled TFI and it seems to be a lot more reliable than the DFO.
 

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jan-Dirk said:
change spark plugs
More excellent advice - thank you.
 

·
Autobanmod
Joined
·
9,896 Posts
It might sound a bit too simple but what you described happened exactly the same way to me and 3 out of four times it's been the plugs or the plug connectors.
Always start with the easy things first.
 

·
Autobanmod
Joined
·
9,896 Posts
The oil: maybe your engine was stalling and popping so badly that one of the breather tubes came undone. Have a look under your air filter, the front cylinder's breathing tube is connected to the filters underside.
 

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jan-Dirk said:
It might sound a bit too simple but what you described happened exactly the same way to me and 3 out of four times it's been the plugs or the plug connectors.
Always start with the easy things first.
Certainly an easy thing to check. Once I get the airbox off I'll run down through everything that has been suggested - starting with the simple things first. I've just been to busy to deal with it until Friday.

Jan-Dirk said:
The oil: maybe your engine was stalling and popping so badly that one of the breather tubes came undone. Have a look under your air filter, the front cylinder's breathing tube is connected to the filters underside.
I really hope that is what it is. I had that problem with the breather tube when I first got the bike. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the insights.
 

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After work this evening I started checking some things out on the V-Rod.
As mentioned, the oil does have a strong gasoline smell so that will need to be replaced.
All battery connections were tight.
Now the bad news. The front spark plug appears to have disintegrated. That is where the oil came from. When I pulled the coil and rubber tube out of the hole in the front cylinder - part of the top of the spark plug was sticking in the spring connector and the rubber tube was covered in oil and metal fines. I guess this is a job for the dealer. I have an extended warranty that the previous owner transferred to me and I have a few questions concerning the D&D pipe and Rev Tech DFO unit. Will these items cause the dealer to give me a ration of grief about voiding the warranty?
How does all this relate?
Did my DFO fail? Did my front coil fail? This seems like major engine work – possibly even a new motor. I recall another forum member having an issue with a destroyed spark plug but I couldn’t fine the thread. I’m interested in how his situation turned out.
Thanks everyone for all the help so far.
 
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Top