Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, let me start by the fact that I've been riding sport bikes for the past 10+ years and never thought I'd own anything else. THEN I rented a V-Rod while visiting San Diego last Fall and took a 4 day ride down the coast through Mexico. Needless to say, I sold my 2002 Yamaha R1 and 2000 R6 this Spring. Put the cash away (and added to it) and have finally found my Rod. I'm flying a few states away this Saturday to pick it up and driving it back.

It's a brand new, never registered 2002 V-Rod that someone bought as an "investment" during all the original V-Rod hype. Once he realized they were depreciating just as anything else does, on the market it went, and off the market just as quick. Mine, at a used V-Rod price.

I'm getting married the last week of July and we're actually planning on taking the Rod out for a week tour as the first portion of our Honeymoon (What a girl!!).

So now I'm doing the research to ensure I get all the right modifications the first time. I can tell already there is much debate as to how much HP you can get and more specifically which exhaust systems work and don't. Being a Harley first-timer, I'll be searching for the best performing exhaust while still providing that prototypical Harley sound. Also debating the big-bore modification. Looks like that provides a lot of additional HP, but obviously I'll need to do a lot more research.

Once the exhaust is done, bags, touring seat (sundowner?), and removable windshield are next. Make it a bit nicer for the longer touring rides.

I'm happy to find a site like this and hope to be an avid reader/contributer as I learn & modify!!!

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
:welcome: lots to learn here :broke:

If you don't want a divorce while on your Honeymoon, I might suggest changing the passenger pillion as your first mod :2cents: Enjoy

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
:vrodforu:

There is heaps of info here, so learn how to use the search function!!! :thumb:

EG ;

1 You need lowers for the touring shield, to stop updrafts, but can mount them to the shield instead of the forks so they come off quickly as well when you don't want it

2 Seats - sundowner, badlander, corbin etc, all debated thoroughly, together with back rest modifications, foot peg relocators for passenger comfort etc

3. Pipes - a favourite topic. If you're touring, watch out for them too loud (eg v modded stock pipes instead of v modded se slip ons). If you like lots of ponies, watch out for lean angle reduction (super traps and se16 guage) and heat shields (turbo tec I think have none?), if you want noise, watch out for loss of HP (samson). Lots of reading here!

4. Bags - the leather hd ones that came out first have quality issues, dunno about the new ones with the buckles. The chrome ones are popular with those that have them like me, but there are heaps of aftermarket options that are MUCH cheaper. Also, bags for the back of the bike are everywhere, including Worm's hard trunk

:blahblah: :blahblah:

Have fun! :thumb:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fantastic information. Those are all things I'm concerned with. For instance, I was grinding the factory pipes on the rental I had, and to put it mildly, didn't care for the exhaust tone. The only set of pipes I have experience with was a v-rod I test drove with the D&D 2-1. I REALLY enjoyed the sound, not to mention they didn't look like they'd interfere with the lean angle (I live in the Rockies and ride a lot of canyons). Only thing I didn't really care for is they seemed to really lack the low-end punch. So I'll continue the reading, and will hopefully make the right decision for my style of riding!!

·
skin changer
824 Posts
Sundowner seat before the honeymoon is a must....don't even think about that twice.
I prefer the 16ga SE muffler system. I love everything about mine.
HD leather bag for on the luggage rack is nice...I can get more into it easily then a saddle bag and it's easier to get into..no bending over. I like it so much that I decided not to get saddlebags at all....big do$$ar savings too.
I'm a newbie like you and found lots of information on this site. I have put 1700 miles on mine in 5 weeks and just love it.

:vrodforu:

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Welcome from the UK. I had the same trouble with ground clearance, you just have to forget the "ricer" knee down antics and accept the Vrod don't lean like your previous bikes. The sundowner will be good for you as well as your other half and I have the SE 16G's and find them plenty loud enough.

·
Registered
419 Posts
If you're looking for comfort, I have to agree with the others that the Sundowner Seat is the way to go. Look for deals on this site as many members have gotten a substantial discount either by a group purchase or by a dealer giving 20% off of retail. In regards to exhaust, the Samson Longslashers not only look good, but sound incredible although a bit loud even with the 2 in baffles. Power Commander III or Race Tuner is a must to smooth out lean conditions with any aftermarket application you choose. I haven't noticed any loss of HP like some other have mentioned and I would think twice about someone cutting my baffles on my existing pipe ie: V-modding. Plenty of great aftermaket pipes to choose from Reinhardt, Vance & Hines, D & D, Samson etc. Most importantly, try & listen to a pair on a V-Rod before you buy. Call local dealers to see if they have anybikes in for service in for service with aftermarket pipes and ask if they'll start one for you. Good Luck

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
The seat will end up being first by default...

Your trip back from the several states that you will be crossing will convince you to buy the Sundowner seat -- it makes a big difference. I wouldn't be surprised if you stopped into every HD dealer that you encounter on the second day of your trip -- until you found one in stock!

Stock V-Mods are very loud, I wore earplugs with mine, but the additional low end torque was awesome. Now my V-Modded SE Slip-on's are quiet enough to ride without earplugs (without fatigue), but the punchy low end torque is not as good (so i'm adapting to a different riding style)... And I'm looking to run into someone running SE 16g, to hear what I'm missing.

Enjoy your riding and welcome.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
There's no controversy, believe me.

V-Rod Convert. I am too. My last sportbike was an 02 R1. Best I had, overall.

Just get a :notworth: Joker exhaust, no bags, no shields, a sundowner, a 28t pulley, use a RT (no PCIII as in the R1) and you'll be set :mrgr: . Ah! Don't listen to any of these guys. Some are engineers, racers, lawyers, master mechanics, or doctors. They don't know $hit. Especially Kaz, he comes around you turn off the computer, hear?

Remember the best dyno will give you the most hp, it'll somehow just be true. Remember this when testing the Jokers, if you get TurboTecs you can use the one I did ;) .

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Congratulations Rocky!!!

I can't offer too much advice as I am a new V-rod owner myself. I can tell you I installed the Sundowner Touring seat, sissybar and passenger backrest last weekend and after a couple hundred + miles over the weekend, I felt pretty damn good. I think you'll enjoy the Sundowner.

Congratulations on the wedding and have a safe honeymoon.

·
Registered
503 Posts
welcome..

kudos to you for picking a USED BIKE instead of putting the stealers kids thru college.

put on a sundowner seat.... windshield.... v mod pipes AND THE 28 TOOTH SPROCKET!!! ( it make it slightly "buzzy" at freeway speeds, but who ride there all the time)

This is my forth Harley and I really like it..... but it's sooooo easy to get upside down on one of these things (thus sucking all the fun out)... that you got a great start buying used..

good luck to you

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
eduarprmd said:
V-Rod Convert. I am too. My last sportbike was an 02 R1. Best I had, overall.

Just get a :notworth: Joker exhaust, no bags, no shields, a sundowner, a 28t pulley, use a RT (no PCIII as in the R1) and you'll be set :mrgr: . Ah! Don't listen to any of these guys. Some are engineers, racers, lawyers, master mechanics, or doctors. They don't know $hit. Especially Kaz, he comes around you turn off the computer, hear?

Remember the best dyno will give you the most hp, it'll somehow just be true. Remember this when testing the Jokers, if you get TurboTecs you can use the one I did ;) .
Ya Watch That Super Kaz Guy!He Thinks $hit don't Stink and that all the Ladies Want Him! :eek: :kaz:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Honeymoon?
Get a good seat and extend the passenger footpegs forward (unless she really likes the crotch rocket passenger foot position).
My wife's hips started locking up after a couple of hours.
Now, you don't want that happening on your HONEYMOON!

·
Talk to the boot!
496 Posts
Put in another vote for the Sundowner seat. Believe me, I did the same thing when I bought my 'Rod -- Flew to El Paso and rode it back for a nice three day cruise. I found the stock seat to be unbearable after only an hour or so, and you'll find every excuse to stop!
Also agree that the 16 Ga SE pipes are winners. I love mine. But you won't ever get the "prototypical Harley sound" from the V-Rod. Different V angles: All other Harley twins are 45 degrees. The Revolution engine is 60 degrees. I like the overtones I hear on the freeway when going to work early in the morning, sounds great through the underpasses! But not the same.
:vrod:

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Sweet potato, sweet potato......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey, thanks again for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. Undoubtably, there's nothing better than first hand experience to learn from.

Well, it sounds like there isn't much doubt about the 28 tooth pulley & the sundowner being the seat to grab, so maybe I'll see if I can still get in on that group purchase for the seat. And by no means do I want to witness this "hip-lock" reaction first hand either, so maybe some new peg extensions may be in order as well.

The exhaust, on the other hand, obviously doesn't have a clear winner. I really like the looks of the double barrel 16g pipes, but haven't heard them yet. Their Dyno reports SEEM respectable enough, but they don't seem to quite have the numbers others are proclaiming (D&D 2-1, Joker, & TT). I figure so long as I get a good (albeit 60 degree) Harley sound with some measure of HP gain, I can't go wrong.

So here's one additional question, can anyone explain to me what running "topless" for the V-Rod is? It sounds like opening the O2 intake wide. Almost like a RAM-AIR on sport bikes. Can anyone shed some light on this??

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
Running topless is a lot simpler then that. Just remove the Air box skin and pop-off the filter air box cover (black with a bunch of clips all around). Remove and relocate the sensor with some hardware store velcro. Secure the clips so they do not rattle (or remove and save). Put Sheet-metal skin back on and ride... Kaz proved that it is good for 2HP, maybe 3.

Do not do this without properly re-flashing the EFI, or installing the Power Commander. Most people try topless the first time after setting up their new exhaust...

The most Harley-like traditional sounding exhaust is Stock V-Mod. When I ran mine I got lots of those old "The V-Rod ain't a real Harley, kind of guys" coming over to complement the sound of the pipes. I took mine off 2 weeks ago because they were too loud -- and I do miss the sound and the low end torque boost that they provided.

·
Talk to the boot!
496 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts