Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted over in performance - probably belongs here...

2010 Nightrod Special - current Mods - ThunderMax Computer, Topless K&N, V&H Widow Slipons. Currently dyno-ing at 116HP.

Front head gasket leak since new, finally got me around to getting HD to pull the head under warranty. So I was thinking (a DANGEROUS THING), why not send the heads out (since I'm only paying parts & labor for the rear head), do the cams, destroyer throttle body, injectors, etc.

So I opted to send the heads to Vance & Hines Motorsports for a race port/polish/oversize valves makeover, and also purchased their street cam.

Herein the fun develops...

V&H tells me the cams need to be degree'd in to correct timing for max power gains (and not kill power on the low end)- OK, I understand that part of the equation.

Local HD stealership service department tells me they don't have the "special tool" to do cam degree'ing for the V Rod. No biggie I tell them, order the tool and I'll buy it, then rent it to them when they need it again.

Then they tell me they need to figure out how to FABRICATE a tool, to do this.

What IS the deal here?

IS there a tool(s) I can order to set the cam timing? If so, WHO MAKES IT?

How is cam timing set correctly on the V Rod?

I ordered slotted cam sprockets (actually, sent mine in to V&H to be slotted), but at this point - since V&H tells me they need the whole motor to correctly degree the cams (not happening), and all I get is blank stares from the (so-called) Master Mechanic at HD - I'm currently stuck with having un-slotted sprockets installed on the new cam, set at factory (0) specs.

The only guy doing V Rod performance that I know of here (in S. Fla), I already don't trust because of his rep here in the Corvette community.

Suggestions are most certainly welcome...

Regards,

Rick

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... Then they tell me they need to figure out how to FABRICATE a tool, to do this.

What IS the deal here?

IS there a tool(s) I can order to set the cam timing? If so, WHO MAKES IT?

How is cam timing set correctly on the V Rod? ...

Suggestions are most certainly welcome...
I really think you should consider shipping or taking your engine to an expert. It isn't rocket science but there are a few tricks that are best learned via experience.

You'll need both a degree wheel on the crankshaft and a dial indicator to show valve motion. The cams should have a degree specification that indicates when the valves should begin to open (in degrees BTDC and usually at 0.05" of lift). There should also be a "centerline" specification that indicates at what degree the valves are fully open.

Here's a thread that discusses this and also points to a degree wheel that "Vrod-tlam" posted.

Here's a link to more answers in your other thread.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
One of the best ways to learn how to do this is get a video and a degree tool kit from a supply company.Understanding how a 4 stroke engine works is the key to learning how to do this properly.
You also need the cam shaft specs.Without the cam specs,you might as well start pissing in the wind,up a rope,or even on the ground.
Look here http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=cam degreeing&dds=1

Typically,MMC and "factory" trained people that work in a dealer are not taught how to do performance work.
With as much rice there is down in Ft.Liquirdale,you should be able to find a kick ass mechanic to do this for you,and teach you what is going on while he is doing it.
Go hang around some car,dirt track shops.Usually the old guy that bitches about everything knows how to build engines.:)

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the best ways to learn how to do this is get a video and a degree tool kit from a supply company.Understanding how a 4 stroke engine works is the key to learning how to do this properly.
You also need the cam shaft specs.Without the cam specs,you might as well start pissing in the wind,up a rope,or even on the ground.
Look here http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=cam degreeing&dds=1

Typically,MMC and "factory" trained people that work in a dealer are not taught how to do performance work.
With as much rice there is down in Ft.Liquirdale,you should be able to find a kick ass mechanic to do this for you,and teach you what is going on while he is doing it.
Go hang around some car,dirt track shops.Usually the old guy that bitches about everything knows how to build engines.:)
Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

Did the go-around on this in the other thread I started (sorry for the confusion caused by the double post).

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2044929&posted=1#post2044929

The wind-up is there...

Regards,

Rick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts