Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just asked my dealer how much the 1k service cost and he quoted $356.00 plus tax! That's an expensive oil change. I don't own any metric wrenches. What sizes are needed to service a V-rod? I have the metric Allen wrenches and sockets that I need. H-D sells the belt tension gauge. I can do most of it myself and anything I can't I'll let the dealer take care of.

I'll be picking up the H-D service manual when I buy the oil & filter. Any suggesstions on a decent lift would also be helpful. I saw a Sears 1500 lb lift for $152.00 that looks decent but it had a few negative reviews.

Thanks,lc

·
Registered
801 Posts
Lol, what sizes are needed to service a Vrod? Just go buy a metric set of wrenches, a deep socket kit, and a hex head kit and you'll be pretty much covered. They don't have to be magic Harley brand wrenches you know....

·
George
5,411 Posts
Yeesch... 17mm for the oil plug.... small filter wrench that works from the end of the filter.. Belt tensioner tool? Crap I've only used my finger for the last 50K miles! 5mm ball end t-handle hex wrench,

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Magic H-D Brands

Lol, what sizes are needed to service a Vrod? Just go buy a metric set of wrenches, a deep socket kit, and a hex head kit and you'll be pretty much covered. They don't have to be magic Harley brand wrenches you know....
I'll skip the H-D brands! I was thinking Craftsman; you can abuse the hell out of them and trade them in for new ones in 10-years.

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
Watch the Sunday papers, sears has nice sets on sale all the time. I also have seen some good deals at Home Depot and Lowes on sets. The aluminum jack from Harbor Freight works well enough and you can find coupons in American Iron Mag.

·
Skid Mark
13 Posts
I'll skip the H-D brands! I was thinking Craftsman; you can abuse the hell out of them and trade them in for new ones in 10-years.
Be careful with what you wish for. Craftsman is going overseas. The open stock tools are already Chinese made, but the sets are still USA. The warranty replacements are Chinese anymore. It is a sad state of affairs.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be careful with what you wish for. Craftsman is going overseas. The open stock tools are already Chinese made, but the sets are still USA. The warranty replacements are Chinese anymore. It is a sad state of affairs.
My dealer is out of 2012 v-rods. You'll probably have to wait for a 2013 model. I've seen images posted as 2013 models but they look exactly the same.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I second the "don't bother with the belt tension tool". I bought one and set it according to the manual on both my bikes and it was too tight. The "twist" tests works just fine. Bottom line, if the belt is not making noise, leave it alone.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Belt Tension

I second the "don't bother with the belt tension tool". I bought one and set it according to the manual on both my bikes and it was too tight. The "twist" tests works just fine. Bottom line, if the belt is not making noise, leave it alone.
The V-rod is the first bike I've owned with a belt drive. What is a " twist" test? My bike is not making any noise from the belt that I notice so I guess it's okay. How many miles before a belt normally needs to be tightened?

·
james
601 Posts
watch your warrenty guidlines. that is not just and oil change. if done right they should be giving the bike a once over on all the fastener that are affected by temperature changes, that have never been heat up and expanded. nuts and bolts that are new to vibes need to be check. there should be a list of specific stress points in which fasteners come bearing need to be checked.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I did my first oil change myself. Unless you have KN filters with the nut on top, or buy the oil filter cap wrench that fits over the top and have a long extension for it, you will need to loosen the bottom radiator bolts. That lets it fall away a little and leaves space for your hands. The critical things the dealer would check are clutch adjustment, (you can tell if you clutch needs adjusting yourself), fall away from steering neck bearing, belt adjustment (already covered here). I use a toothbrush myself and get all the little dirt particles off the belt. Check the battery connections, they have known to come loose. Of course always check tire pressure, (36 F 42 R) you should be doing that weekly anyway. As someone stated, you don't need many tools. I have a set of metric sockets, 4 extensions, ratchet, torx and an allen set. Keep your receipts so you can document what you have done. I would also look in the airbox and see if you have any oil in there, and check the filter. The air-box has hoses with clamps on them and if they get loose, you will have oil blowing down on your engine. Looks like a cylinder head leak, but almost always the air-box. I also lube my clutch cable, and the kickstand. Then the general TLOCKS checks for loose bolts, wires, check that all the lights are working.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
I did my first oil change myself. Unless you have KN filters with the nut on top, or buy the oil filter cap wrench that fits over the top and have a long extension for it, you will need to loosen the bottom radiator bolts. That lets it fall away a little and leaves space for your hands. The critical things the dealer would check are clutch adjustment, (you can tell if you clutch needs adjusting yourself), fall away from steering neck bearing, belt adjustment (already covered here). I use a toothbrush myself and get all the little dirt particles off the belt. Check the battery connections, they have known to come loose. Of course always check tire pressure, (36 F 42 R) you should be doing that weekly anyway. As someone stated, you don't need many tools. I have a set of metric sockets, 4 extensions, ratchet, torx and an allen set. Keep your receipts so you can document what you have done. I would also look in the airbox and see if you have any oil in there, and check the filter. The air-box has hoses with clamps on them and if they get loose, you will have oil blowing down on your engine. Looks like a cylinder head leak, but almost always the air-box. I also lube my clutch cable and the kickstand. Then the general TLOCKS checks for loose bolts, wires, check that all the lights are working.
My '02 V has a hydraulically operated clutch. No cable. I bought one of those smaller filter wrenches that are made for foreign cars that has an articulating handle. It fits up in the filter space just fine. I've never had to loosen the radiator bolts to do an oil change. I don't ever brush my belt clean, mostly because I'm lazy. My OEM belt now has over 60,000 miles on it. I do have a spare belt, just in case, but I doubt I'll ever need it. Once you have adjusted your belt following break-in, you will probably never need to adjust it again, except when you change tires.

The rest of these recommendations are good things to check each oil change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts