Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a motorcycle loom building shop in the UK. A customer has brought in a 2006 V Rod with a custom bodywork kit and asked me to move all the electrical items so the body kit will fit, and wire them all together. This includes moving the security module with its warning: "Do not move or reposition this module!" He said move it anyway, so I have.
The bike is now rewired and I have verified the connection integrity of every single cable to every relevant electrical component in the injection, ignition and security system. I am sure that the bike is electrically the same as a stock 2006 V Rod.
The problem is that when I turn the bike on the alarm system is activated. The bike has a fob with no button. I have consulted the factory manual but it only mentions the push button fob. Can anyone tell me what my options are to get a running motorcycle again?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is the alarm module level as it was in its original position or have you changed the angle of how it sits on the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A good question. The customer had already moved it. I'm not familiar with the V Rod under the seat so I looked at pictures online to try and replicate the position. It is currently mounted in a horizontal position. By that I mean if you take a cross section of the module, it's a rectangle with rounded corners. The long side of the rectangle is horizontal, ie parallel with the ground.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
A good question. The customer had already moved it. I'm not familiar with the V Rod under the seat so I looked at pictures online to try and replicate the position. It is currently mounted in a horizontal position. By that I mean if you take a cross section of the module, it's a rectangle with rounded corners. The long side of the rectangle is horizontal, ie parallel with the ground.
That sounds wrong to me if i understand you correctly. On pre 2007 bikes the TSSM should be lengthways down the line of the bike. 2007 on are mounted accross the bike. Only exception to this is the 2006 VRSCR model which also mounts accross. Both angle and linear postion are important as it functions as flasher cancelling and tilt sensor for accidents and securiity.
Try unbolting it and holding it in the opposite position to see if it cures your problem. Also make sure the fob battery is good. You title your thread "disable alarm" , it is also worth noting that if the bike is an EU model then the alarm function is permanent and cannot be permanently disabled whereas on US spec bikes it is possible to disable the alarm from self activating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I have tried the security module across the bike, in line with the bike and on a diagonal orientation, all three attempts with the colour sticker facing directly upwards. My impression is that the tilt sensor is the cigar shaped object which plugs into the module. I have in all three cases positioned it parallel to the module, which is where its wiring wants it to go.
I should have described my thread as 'turn off the alarm'.
I don't want to disable it, just start the bike and see all is well. It apparently was ridden recently but I will change the fob battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should also mention that the problem is the same regardless of which position I put the module in. And yes, it is an EU model.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Thank you. I have tried the security module across the bike, in line with the bike and on a diagonal orientation, all three attempts with the colour sticker facing directly upwards. My impression is that the tilt sensor is the cigar shaped object which plugs into the module. I have in all three cases positioned it parallel to the module, which is where its wiring wants it to go.
I should have described my thread as 'turn off the alarm'.
I don't want to disable it, just start the bike and see all is well. It apparently was ridden recently but I will change the fob battery.
I am slightly confused by your description of the TSSM. You have a foto? TSSM looks like this, and the only thing that plugs into it is the harness plug.
TSSM.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, mine looks like the module in your pic with the cardboard box, except it has two brown Deutsch plugs. The big one has the indicator and security cables. The other has a short lead to what looks very like a tilt sensor. I can see it in your second image actually, except my plugs are brown rather than grey. I'll take a pic tomorrow.
Thanks for taking this trouble.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yes, mine looks like the module in your pic with the cardboard box, except it has two brown Deutsch plugs. The big one has the indicator and security cables. The other has a short lead to what looks very like a tilt sensor. I can see it in your second image actually, except my plugs are brown rather than grey. I'll take a pic tomorrow.
Thanks for taking this trouble.
The tilt sensor is inside the TSSM. I think what you are possibly talking about is the siren/battery pack which as far as I know is the only thing that plugs into the TSSM. This can be mounted anywhere, it's not angle sensitive. You can even leave it unplugged as it was not fitted to all bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With my apologies for the delay, I have taken a picture of the security module on the bike.
As you can see, on this EU model the unit has two plugs. The big one goes to the loom; the smaller one goes to the cigar-sized object in my fingers, which I think is a tilt sensor.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
With my apologies for the delay, I have taken a picture of the security module on the bike.
As you can see, on this EU model the unit has two plugs. The big one goes to the loom; the smaller one goes to the cigar-sized object in my fingers, which I think is a tilt sensor.
Your pic doesnt seem to be showing, but as i said earlier the tilt sensor is integral to the TSSM. The only thing plugged in other than the loom plug is the siren/battery pack which some models (mostly US) dont have. I think this is what you are looking at. It is the actual TSSM that is angle critical.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Thing in your fingers is the antenna for the security module.
Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha! It's fixed. I took Coastrider's advice and changed the fob battery. No alarm, bike starts. I could have saved you a lot of bother if I'd done that earlier! Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ha! It's fixed. I took Coastrider's advice and changed the fob battery. No alarm, bike starts. I could have saved you a lot of bother if I'd done that earlier! Thank you all for your help.
No worries, all good fun. Important thing is you are up and running. ??

·
Registered
140 Posts
Sometimes it's the simple things haha. When I bought mine, I immediately changed my fob battery and I keep a couple new ones in my backpack just in case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts