Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know if I can modify my VRSCB 2005 open system for tuner my bike.
Can I modify my bike installing a Oxygen sensors and placed an input to the computer to convert in open system?
What stuff I will need to do that?

·
Registered Insane
2003 VRSCA
164 Posts
I think a system with O2 sensors is called "closed loop". I don't know if your stock ECM will accept that input or not. I'm sure when morning comes we will get a response to that question.

Personally, I had pipes made (modified?) to order for my 2003 VRSCA that had wide band 18mm O2 sensor ports. I later went to the V&H Comp. Series 2-1, which has ports for both types of sensors, including slugs (plugs?) for whichever ports you don't use.

I use the ThunderMax with Autotune which allows for tuning on earlier V-Rods using O2 sensors. Yesssss, I've had "issues" with my T-Max but ThunderHeart had me send in my ECM and fixed it under warranty. I think the warranty had even run out on it but they did it anyway, a testament to their customer service. I upload my tunes to them and they are very swift in their responses. I have to say that I am very happy with the results. I do have what they call a "slight" intake leak, but I am very sure it is an unfixable fault on my own part having installed the Holy-Moto butterfly shafts to my Destroyer throttle body and (this being a known user mistake) probably didn't seat the butterflies in the shafts perfectly. I used the green Locktite as per installation instructions and am pretty sure I won't be able to tweak them now. I have to crack the throttle juuuust slightly in order to make her start but after that she runs great.

I also have installed brand new 2005 VRSCSE heads and Screamin' Eagle Stage II cams (I wanted to run Jones Cams but he didn't have a batch ready when I did my build), J&E 12:1 pistons, and K&N gills. Anyway, the T-Max can account for all these mods.

I'm working on getting the Badges and Screamin' Eagle Script Plates for the heads. Hopefully they should be here this week.

There ARE other tuners on the market that can do all this but what I chose is what I chose, and I'm running it.

If the weather cooperates I'll be on the race track at Empire Dragway on Friday night for Test n Tune runs and I will post my slips in the appropriate area on this forum (provided they aren't embarrassing...I'm sure the bike is fast, but I have a LOT of work to do on my launch starts). Hopefully I'll see my cousin on his Yamaha here:

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
You can either get bungs welded into your current exhaust, or get an exhaust with bungs already there. Power Vision with the added Auto tune is a real good option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, clarifying to understand. What is the system that constantly is sending feedback to adjust the AFR? It is open system? I would like to know if I can do in my VRod. Because I got a nitrous system in dry and I would like to set my bike with this kind of system. When the nitrous is active the system regulate the require fuel with nitrous and without. I think that I can do with the autotune pro. Please let me know if I can do that?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, clarifying to understand. What is the system that constantly is sending feedback to adjust the AFR? It is open system? I would like to know if I can do in my VRod. Because I got a nitrous system in dry and I would like to set my bike with this kind of system. When the nitrous is active the system regulate the require fuel with nitrous and without. I think that I can do with the autotune pro. Please let me know if I can do that?
Yes, I was wrong. I would like to change in a close loop system with the oxygen sensors sending feedback !!!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Earlier from what year? Does a matter if use external feature like a power commander, autotune, etc?
02 to 07
From 07 they had the O2 sensors and the loom and ECM changed to match along with HFSM, clutch switch and several other changes.
If you fit your own O2 sensor bosses in the down pipes you can then use PC or PV with the Autotune kit.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The early ECM can be used for stock narrow band sensors. It has been done years ago. Once you have the ECM Harness added wiring for the sensors, you"ll need to access the ECM software to activate it. Use the search funtion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The early ECM can be used for stock narrow band sensors. It has been done years ago. Once you have the ECM Harness added wiring for the sensors, you"ll need to access the ECM software to activate it. Use the search funtion.
How I can enter to the ECM to activated?
Just function for narrow band?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Stock 02 narrow band sensors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts