Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually gotten pulled over running stock V-mods. If so, what was the result? :spank:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Haven't been pulled over, but followed for a while. After taking off from a stop light in the city, I set off a car alarm. It got the cop's attention. Followed me for about 5 blocks, but didn't pull me over.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Had a cop follow me one night because of my TT's, didnt get pulled over but I guess he thought about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
V-Mods

I've listened to my bike from all angles and had my friend ride it around at various rpm's so I could hear it, and it seems the V-mods are right on that line where if you ride responsibly, especially in your neighborhood, you should be good. However, if you get a bit liberal with the throttle, which we all know is almost a natural reaction on a V-rod, I could see someone complaining or a cop whose girlfriend just cheated on him with a biker pulling you over.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
I have stock v-mods, too. When we got stopped the other day, luckily the trooper was more concerned about our speed than our noise levels. He didn't say a word about either my pipes or Peter's on his RKC, which are much louder. Just kept shaking his head...

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I guess I could always ask him about his HD he is riding... the one the local dealer punched the baffles out on. ;)

Unless they have a sound meter, he just has to show it's been tampered with. That means "anything other than stock". SEs included.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I realize that "technically" anyone who's done just about anything to their exhaust is riding illegally. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever had a cop ticket them exclusively for noise (not tacking that on after getting you for speeding or something).

·
V-Rod Addict
271 Posts
After being followed for a while last fall, I got pulled over. The highway patrolman said, "Sorry to pull you over but I've got a V-Rod and I have to know where you got your pipes!"

True story!

·
Ride on!
267 Posts
I have had a few city police, in Winton-Salem, look at me intently, as on coming traffic, but I think they are just looking at the bike more so than the noise I was making.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
Whenever I see a cop, I'm real gentlemen with my throttle application -- the V-Mods purr. No problem. Yes they look at me..... actually the bike.
From the back, it's not like you're running a straight pipe. "But occifer, I bought them off the internet and they're street legal....."

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you're taking it easy on the RPMs in populated areas, and not laying out rubber at green lights you'll probably be OK. If pulled over, I have yet to witness anyone with a confrontational attitude meet with much success. if you get stopped by a cop who's a dick (and like in any profession, a very few are) then hasta la vista. I've found that unless you've really gone out your way to do something especially heinous, and you stay cool, he's got other guys he'd rather fry than you and a verbal warning is all you'll get. Hey, he's just trying to keep the streets safe, right? I always quietly thank the sushi burner who rides wheelies off the light, (thinking I care) because I know his "arrest me green" colored bike and public acrobatics will get him all the attention he needs-- from John Law. And that's just fine by me.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
I have yet to run into a cop that has problems with loud pipes. On my old Sporty, whcih had Python 3's, i had a couple county sheriff's on their police bikes (they had personal rides at home too) ask me to rev it up so they could hear them full on. They liked them enough to take down the URL for J&P Cycles to order some for his Sporty! Had similar incidents a few times like that.

The big thing is to just give them respect. I got one ticket because of speeding (wrote me for 5 over when I was clocked at 22 mph over). After the ticket was written he told me to slow down...and the bike sounds great! (the ol' Sporty...still have stockers on the VRSC).

LAter,
Gary

·
Registered
320 Posts
I got pulled over at work by the police for setting off car alarms in the parking garage. I told them it was a Harley and I needed to run with the "choke on" and had a hard time keeping it idling. They let me off with a warning.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
My V-Mods set off car alarms in the hood all the time but the most I get is a dirty look from the neighbors. I was pulled by a cop once, but he complimented my bike, said some other guys were watching and he had to pull me (cuz I was haulin' on the freeway), and let me off with a warning. Didn't mention anything about the pipes.

If you're respectful and not breaking too many laws, I think the cops-like-harleys factor will often outweigh the make-my-ticket-quota factor.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I got pulled over in a little po-dunk town in texas while in the truck & trailer. Sheriff said his brother had just purchased a vrod in dallas and he reconized my company name from this website, lol,lol,lol.

Oh yea pipes, if I fire up my bike I'd blow your windows out, lol.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I can give some inside info on this subject. Most departments have at least one officer with a Harley. The departments that dont have several officer's that want a Harley. Unless you are purposely torquing on it in front of a cop you should be ok. You will always find one somewhere with a wild hair that may mess with you though. Who has ever heard of a quiet Harley anyway?

·
Flamed Rod
161 Posts
Just the other day I was riding and a car come up beside me and asked me what kind of bike I was riding. I told him it was a Harley v-rod. He then asked why is it so quite? I just had to laugh. This was last saturday. I just put on my SE v-mods so I hope to never get the questions asked again.

Darrin

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I am a City Councilman, and Over the Police Dept. :D

So I dont hear crap about my D&D pipes when I ripin it up in town! :D

(Now I just got to worry about getting Re Elected next term! :eek: )

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
I was in an alley in New Orleans during the Steel Pony Express ralley last October with my stock pipes and there were 4 police officers on horses coming the other way. It was when I was still having the problems during ideling and reved it a little too much and one of the horses raised up a little. They all looked at me and I just apologized all over myself. I got lucky, everyone just kept going there seperate ways.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts