Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinkin of sending the pipes to Steve..anyone done a set of screamin eagles???...I hear a couple more horse and even BETTER sound... like the difference between the stock and goin to the screamin eagles... ????? anyone know??? :soapbox:

·
2,552 Posts
vilzrod said:
I was thinking of sending the pipes to Steve..anyone done a set of screaming eagles???...I hear a couple more horse and even BETTER sound... like the difference between the stock and going to the screaming eagles... ????? anyone know??? :soapbox:

Do it. You will not regret is. I was running Vmodded SE'S with a race tuner and I loved the sound and I was at 116.7 RWHP with 81 RWT.

Frank

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I do, pretty much the same numbers as Frank and I love the sound and look.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ditto for me Vilzrod... a worthy mod.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Got the mod when almost as soon as I got my bike! Love the sound and the few extra HP!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
guys.... these are the sreamin eagle mod right??? NOT the original pipes V modded right??...jus wanted to be clear on that

·
Registered
339 Posts
How about the difference between the V-modded stocks versus the V-modded SEs?
Anyone had them both to experience the difference in sound and HP?
I currently have the V-modded stock mufflers but have been thinking about getting a set of V-modded SEs down the road if I want something a little quieter, since they are supposed to be, but I would like to know how much quieter (don't want to loose too much sound).
Thanks.

·
Have Gun Will Travel
1,008 Posts
I have SE slip-ons that have been modded. I love them. The sound is just what I was looking for. Nothing that would wake the neighbors, but it is no longer a jap sounding bike. I have stopped looking for exhaust mods. This is what I wanted and is what I am going to keep.

I can't say anything as far as performance. I have done no air filter or flashes. That will come later.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
I have run stock, standard SEs, VMod, VMod SEs and D&D Slipon. Raced and rode with all of the above configurations. I would rate them from HP best to worst as follows VModSE, VMod, SEs, Stock, D&D. They are so close in performance potential though that for a street rider the only thing that will happen is that the louder pipes will feel the fastest - sensory overload or substitution. I am confident that I could have any of the pipes tuned with a race tuner to outperform any of the others with just a flash upgrade or a standard power commander map - even on the track they would all perform within .1 to .15 second ET (.2 at the most) depending on tuning. The performance difference in a 1/4 mile race (0 to110 to 115mph ) is less than the time that it takes to blink your eyes. So - blink your eyes and that is the performance gain - do you need the blink of an eye performance increase - should it even be considered in your decision? That of course is your choice - but unless you have hammered you revlimiter a few hundred times by now you will probably never even get to experieince the blink of an eye improvement that the new setup provides since your driving style is too rational to go there. Sound - I like the SE Mods the best - reasonable volume - a good bit louder than the SE standards - mellow base sound - not all that Harley tractor like though. VMods a bit louder and a bit more aggressive - I left them because they were beginning to annoy me when street riding - a bit of the jack hammer immpression - The SE and stock - to quiet for my taste or to provide enough feedback on the track - the D&Ds louder yet and fairly aggressive sound - sound mean on the track - really annoyed me on the road. I must mention that many people have a greater tolerance and desire to be heard than I. Good comments from VTwin community on SEVMod, VMod and their favorite of course the loudest and most aggressive the D&D.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
By the way Vilz - when I originally heard about VMods it it was an inexpensive mod that was of little risk since I had taken the spare stock mufflers that I had taken off when I bought the set of SEs. I thought that you had to have rocks in your head to hack up an expensive set of SE slipons (performance engineered) trying to get better sound- but after using the stock VMod for awhile I was a bit more confident and willing to experiment based upon Steve's recommendation - but it still took me awhile to become willing to let him take a tourch to them. As I stated the volume switch was just a bit too loud for me on the stock VMod - so I switched - I really like them and have not been able to find what I think is a better seetup from a styling, and performance perspective - My problem with them is weight (and I believe that there is another 4 to 5 HP to be had)- i.e.trying to improve ET's on the track - on the street it is fairly meaningless - so I am looking for a high performance 2 into 1 - The best that I know of is the Turbo Tec but there are numerous issues that have prevented me from buying them thus far - heat shield, volume and styling issues (B- from my perspective as bends do not align perfectly with line on the engine - also would like heat shield and chrome). So I patiently wait - but at least from my perspective, I haven't found a better setup yet - I will probably do a two into one later this year.
Kevin

·
Registered
204 Posts
Lurker asking a question??

OK guys, What does it cost to have you SE double barrel exhaust mufflers Vmodded? Only have 90 miles on the new vrod with the SE and they do seem a little quiet.Thanks, Fred :hidesbehi :moped ;)

kspz3 said:
By the way Vilz - when I originally heard about VMods it it was an inexpensive mod that was of little risk since I had taken the spare stock mufflers that I had taken off when I bought the set of SEs. I thought that you had to have rocks in your head to hack up an expensive set of SE slipons (performance engineered) trying to get better sound- but after using the stock VMod for awhile I was a bit more confident and willing to experiment based upon Steve's recommendation - but it still took me awhile to become willing to let him take a tourch to them. As I stated the volume switch was just a bit too loud for me on the stock VMod - so I switched - I really like them and have not been able to find what I think is a better seetup from a styling, and performance perspective - My problem with them is weight (and I believe that there is another 4 to 5 HP to be had)- i.e.trying to improve ET's on the track - on the street it is fairly meaningless - so I am looking for a high performance 2 into 1 - The best that I know of is the Turbo Tec but there are numerous issues that have prevented me from buying them thus far - heat shield, volume and styling issues (B- from my perspective as bends do not align perfectly with line on the engine - also would like heat shield and chrome). So I patiently wait - but at least from my perspective, I haven't found a better setup yet - I will probably do a two into one later this year.
Kevin

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
The SE 16ga will get louder with time as the fiberglass blows out. Mine sound better all the time, or maybe I'm getting used to them. Either way, I'm sticking with the factory setup.

·
Registered
339 Posts
kspz3, thanks for the feedback. I really enjoy my stock vmods, but at times I think I would like them to be just a bit quieter.
Definitely looks like the vmodded SE's is the way to go for me.
Will look at switching most likely this spring.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Changed my mine!

:laugh:
Daniii said:
The SE 16ga will get louder with time as the fiberglass blows out. Mine sound better all the time, or maybe I'm getting used to them. Either way, I'm sticking with the factory setup.
Guys, I put 240 miles on my rod today and my ears are ringing! I have the SE 16G and I was thinking of having them vodded, no longer! These pipes have a nice sound and Daniii says they'll get louder them I'm definitely all set in the sound department!
A note: I can't wait til bring this bad boy up to 8-8500 rpm's, it goes like heck doing the limited 5500 break in limit! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts