Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the two just go hand in hand?

I modded my pipes last week. I decided to just leave the map as it was from my V&H pipe. I was happy with the power throughout. However, mileage stayed roughly the same (about 32-34) and I got the occasional decel pop. I was afraid I may have been running a bit rich since my MPG didn't change. I went on a hunt for maps for the PCIII.

I've tried 2 others so far. On the first, the power wasn't quite what I thought I should be getting. The decel popping was kinda nasty from 4k to 4500. And it's kind of hard to explain, but it was a 'flat' sounding pop - almost muffled. MPG was different on two fill ups. First fill up was 35, and the next was close to 42. The 42 was maily highway driving at about 60mph (side note...when doing a 'run' do NOT get in with a group of air heads. those bikes obviously don't go over 60mph and always do 5-10 UNDER the speed limit. :chair:)

The 2nd one I just put on about an hour ago so I don't know what kind of MPG I"ll get. But the decel popping is still there. The power feels ok, but I won't know for a few more miles.

Should I just stick the original map back on? I don't know enough about the maps/software to be messing with it. I feel fine trying new ones, just not modifying them.

·
Premium Member
11,286 Posts
Canned or forum supplied maps generally get you in the ball park but every bike is different and to be sure your map is OK for your bike you should at least do a dyno run to verify A/F ratios are good. A Dyno tune to create your own personalized map is best.

As to Deceleration popping Here is what I did to eliminate it.

I have V-Mod pipes with K&N high flow filter. After I had my bike dyno tuned I experienced a lot of deceleration popping. The tune did not address Throttle position 0. I toyed with it for quite some time. Listening to the forum guys I added and subtracted fuel to various rpm positions at the 0% throttle position with varied success. Overall however I was dissatisfied with the results. Then I got a brilliant idea. Why should there be additional fuel added to 0% throttle position at all? Since the throttle butterflys are closed the only thing you need is enough fuel to keep the engine idling so why add any additional fuel? I Zeroed out 0% throttle position from 0 rpms all the way to 9000 rpms and the deceleration popping went away entirely, well almost. From 4K rpms to 9K I added a 1 to the 0% throttle position. I now have no deceleration popping whatsoever.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of what I was thinking RustyG. I don't plan on keeping these pipes on through the winter, so I can't justify paying for the dyno. I'll save that for when I get the pipes I want (already have the wife sold - just have to save my pennies).

I did notice that in in the 4-5k RPM range, most at 0% were already set to 0. I still have to run this current map for a while to compare it to the last. Once that is done, I"ll hook it back up and make the adjustments you suggest.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts