Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend just v-modded my DX today.
1) use a hole saw to cut out the baffle. One that fits just outside the exhaust pipe hole and inside the petruding metal flange that holds the black end tip on. Size is 1.3/4" DO NOT try to remove. Next
2) use a hole saw to cut out around the outside diamiter of metal flange that holds the black end tip. 2 & 5/8" You have to grind down the outer edge just a little to get the hole saw started for this one.
3) Remove baffle.
4) Replace black exhaust tip ring by using C clamps to hold the ring in place to the inside of muffler. Attach mig welder ground to C clamps and weld the ring in place. Some may want to disconnect their battery, we didn't.
5) Attach the black end cap.
6) Ride.
7) I did nothing pertaining to air filter & cover and fuel system. Bike runs great and nice sound!
I went directly to my dealer and let them know what we did. There reply was, if it's running good I don't need any Fuel Management. Only thing I noticed was some minor decel poping.
I hope this will help ALL of you DX owners!!!
Ed

·
Registered 5150
78 Posts
harleymon said:
My friend just v-modded my DX today.
1) use a hole saw to cut out the baffle. One that fits just outside the exhaust pipe hole and inside the petruding metal flange that holds the black end tip on. Size is 1.3/4" DO NOT try to remove. Next
2) use a hole saw to cut out around the outside diamiter of metal flange that holds the black end tip. 2 & 5/8" You have to grind down the outer edge just a little to get the hole saw started for this one.
3) Remove baffle.
4) Replace black exhaust tip ring by using C clamps to hold the ring in place to the inside of muffler. Attach mig welder ground to C clamps and weld the ring in place. Some may want to disconnect their battery, we didn't.
5) Attach the black end cap.
6) Ride.
7) I did nothing pertaining to air filter & cover and fuel system. Bike runs great and nice sound!
I went directly to my dealer and let them know what we did. There reply was, if it's running good I don't need any Fuel Management. Only thing I noticed was some minor decel poping.
I hope this will help ALL of you DX owners!!!
Ed
get a fuel management system! Gil's box etc.. easy to install and easy to tune.

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
:them:

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
:them:

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK guys, what if I go with the Screemin Eagle Down load from my dealer? Plus go with a K&N filter topless, then get it dynod. How does this sound to yoo all?

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
As long as your ECM has some sort of EFI tune, you'll be fine. You just want to make sure that your Air/Fuel ratio is set right so as not to fry you engine. It's a lot cheaper than spending $6gs for a new engine.

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
The only way to determine is to put the bike on a dyno and check the Air to Fuel Ratio in the exhaust. It should only cost around $30 max to check this. Then all of your questions will be answered.

If you did not change the air filter and only modded the pipes, you may be okay on your air fuel ratio, but a dyno with proper equipment can tell you this, if you put the K&N filter on, it will change the mixture some, by using a dyno for a before and after you will be able to see this change.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The only alternate download my dealer had for the 07 dx was the one from the factory for the 07 1250cc motor. They did this download for me and it runs great, no decel pops and no hesitation at all. The only thing I don't like is that the ecm download for the 1250's sets the idle speed close to 1400 rpms, as opposed to around 1100 rpms for the stock 1130 motor. They said it won't hurt anything; I just can't get used to it.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made the arraingment today, I'm getting the SERT, K&N airfilter and going topless. It will be put on a dyno after installation. Howz that? Right direction?
I think so.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
harleymon said:
I made the arraingment today, I'm getting the SERT, K&N airfilter and going topless. It will be put on a dyno after installation. Howz that? Right direction?
I think so.
Very smart move. You'll save your engine life this way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts