Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New to the forum and am completly confused by my local Harley dealer. I purchased a set of v-mod pipes, I have a K&N air filter and Harley downloaded the correct map. I haven't installed my pipes yet because apparently any fuel management system like the PCIII will void my warranty. What will the bike sound like and perform like if I run it without the PCIII? Any recommendations out there how to set this up the best way??

Thanks!

·
Ryan
4,192 Posts
gerryhel said:
Hello,

New to the forum and am completly confused by my local Harley dealer. I purchased a set of v-mod pipes, I have a K&N air filter and Harley downloaded the correct map. I haven't installed my pipes yet because apparently any fuel management system like the PCIII will void my warranty. What will the bike sound like and perform like if I run it without the PCIII? Any recommendations out there how to set this up the best way??

Thanks!
If you have a stage I download, you shouldn't need a PCIII. Just slip on those pipes and go. It will sound great.

BTW, a PCIII will not void your warranty unless your claim can be directly linked to the PCIII.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My dealer said i dont need a PC unless you change the air filter or mod the air box..

I did the V mod myself and are very happy with the sound.. Much better than standard and actually sounds like a Harley..

·
Shady
255 Posts
Did you get a download or just running the pipes, i got a set of Drilled SE slip ons would like to know if i need the download since i wont be changing the airfilter yet. Will it damage anything?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
mc 88 said:
My dealer said i dont need a PC unless you change the air filter or mod the air box..

I did the V mod myself and are very happy with the sound.. Much better than standard and actually sounds like a Harley..
Get that in writing. I disagree. When you change the flow of air, be it exhaust or intake, you need to verify your Air/Fuel ratio is still in the safe zone. Better flow, means more air, means lean. Was it the exhaust that was the limiting factor on airflow, or is it your intake?

·
Vrodder since 2004
4,514 Posts
I always get confused with this comes up - I didn't think you could do the mod without the PC III or another fuel system. Harley, of course recommended theirs, but to do so without one?? Not sure how that would work.

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
You really need some type of fuel enrichment device (PC III, RT, or one of the TFI variants) if you're running V-modded pipes, even without an air filter change. The inner baffle removal will increase your airflow, even with a stock air filter, causing the bike to run dangerously lean without an enrichment device.

V-Mods w/ stock air filter and the SE flash might get you close to what you need fuel/air ratio wise, but I wouldn't bet my pistons on it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
dstlvb said:
Did you get a download or just running the pipes, i got a set of Drilled SE slip ons would like to know if i need the download since i wont be changing the airfilter yet. Will it damage anything?
No just running the pipes... Runs fine and no problems and it does not appear to be running lean.

There seems to be lots of conflicting views on this topic but do what ever you are comfortable with.

However i had an experience with my Ducati after installing a set of pipes i was reccomended a Rapid Bike module as PC does not have anything suitable for th Duc.

When riding it home it was running rough and stalled.... took it back to the shop and found out it had fried the ECU on the bike, Ducati would not cover it under warranty and it cost the guy who installed it $2200 for a new ECU... This time it was a genuine adjustable ECU so he ditched the RB unit. Bike runs fine now but it was off the road for 5 weeks.

·
Ryan
4,192 Posts
gerryhel said:
would you recomment a PCIII for better performance?
Yes a PCIII with a custom map done by an experienced dyno tuner would be you best bet. You could also choose a number of other fuel management devices such as the SERT, Gils, Etc...

I still think you are okay with the Stage I flash but a PCIII is a small investment to be sure.

·
**RodhscR**
532 Posts
[email protected]%^ the warranty!!! Don't let them tell you what you can do to your bike. Don't be a hostage. Think about how to fully enjoy your bike and nothing else.

When I was young I was told not to play with my rod, but I never did go blind. It's your rod, do what you like!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got my K&N air filter installed. Harley said they would have to do a stage one flash but then I picked it up and they said that Harley doesn't have a download for a 2007 VRSCAW.... WTF???? Has anyone heard that before?

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
The HD flash was only for the Screaming eagle pipes and screaming eagle filter. Now that the SE parts are no more, there are no more flashes. You can get a SERT, Race Fueler, or other fuel management device for your needs.

RJ

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
i was told by my harley dealer that it wouldnt void mine.... and they tune bikes with the pcIII as well as the SE programmer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.