Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
333/1200 1/2 da evil
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into exhaust systems and searched and searched and searched on this site. I am a teacher off for summer. I swear that since I got my bike a couple of weeks ago, I have averaged 3-4 hours a day on this site and an equal amount of time on the bike. Back to the exhaust. I see that many of you recommend v-modding the stock pipes and getting a Power Commander and K&N air filter. I like the look of the stock pipes, so this seems like a good choice. I don't really care about extra power, the vrod has more than I need. I just want some more volume so that cagers hear me coming. Here's where the help comes in. I want more sound, but don't want to wake the neighbors up in the morning. We just moved and seem to have really nice neighbors, don't want to piss them off. How loud is the regular v-mod. I see that they have a series II v-mod also, which is half the increase in volume. Is this loud enough (I know enough is relative). The second part that I need help with is should I purchase pipes from them or send them my pipes. Will I need my stock pipes for anything down the road.(DMV stuff or anything.)

TIA

wolf

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
No the V-Mods will not be annoying loud, if anything they are very Deep and at idle not so loud at all. I would go with the Regular Vmodded they are worth it.
The Only guy I bring my bike to is in Huntington Beach, far for me, close for you, He is warranty certified and OCHD brings him the Vrods they have in for big service because He is so good with them. He can dyno tune it for you etc...
His name is Ed, Tell him Dave sent ya
http://www.hbhogs.com/

·
333/1200 1/2 da evil
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn lux, you have that ESPn and sh!t. I was going to ask you about that guy in HB. I saw you post about him somewhere else on this site, but couldn't find it again. I will be throwing some business his way.

I will talk to steve. People on here say great things about him. I wish that I saw that he sold HD parts too. I just made a 700 dollar order from OC Harley (sundowner seat, passenger pillion, frame, luggage rack, and sissy bar.) I would have much rather sent the business his way.

·
333/1200 1/2 da evil
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'vce decided to go with the regular vmod pipes. Should I send my pipes in or should get new pipes from them.(just in case we need to get these smogged down the road.)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the vmod pipes and i love them but i think they are loud and deep. I believe somewhere on this site people have posted sound files/videos for the different after market pipes so check it out to get an idea. I would keep the stock pipes as you never know if you change countries/states and then you might need your stocks to pass the road test. If you are tight on cash and want to keep your stock vmod actually sells used modified pipes so you can check those out.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
dolemiike,look in the exhaust section above and you will see that another member and I have a set of V-Modded pipes out floating around for people to install and try out for only the cost of the shipping from the last person that has them.
Install the test mods and make the decision yourself.Then look in the How To section for instructions on how to V-Mod your own set of mufflers.
If you need another set of stockers,they can be found on ebay for less than $100 shipped.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
I loved my VMods and my Powerline will be a VMod, but cagers will not hear you any better...until you go past them. My broken back will attest to that.

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
V mod them yourself, if you have a good drill and some skill you can do it for about 20 bucks.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
do the VMOD yourself. With your '08 cans it's REALLY simple. The How To on this forum is for pre '06 bikes and instructs you to use a 3" hole saw at the exit end of the muffler, but you can get away with 1-5/8" hole (I used a 2" because I'm lazy). The smaller hole makes them look that much nicer and is less hassle to clean up the end.

Hell, I've done 4 sets now and have it down to a 15 minute process, excluding waiting for the paint to the dry.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
How do you center the drill bit on the dowel?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
How do you center the drill bit on the dowel?
the first time I did it I used a 1-1/4 dowel, used a protractor to find the radius, and put the drill bit dead balls center.... The other 3 times I just eyeballed it

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have done just what your proposing to do V-mod, K&N and a PC-V sorted by Jamie at Fuel Moto. And likewise I felt that my 09 VRSCAW produced enough excitement for me without any further engine mods, and I have to say I'm delighted with the outcome, it's transformed my bike.
The standard V-modded pipes, which I did myself by the way, sound fantastic and like others have said its so easy to do, I did however buy a mint second hand pair of silencers to mod and have kept the originals for, 'er-well just in case.
I also fitted the chrome end-caps which I feel somewhat disguises the fact the pipes have been modded, well visually anyway. lol :D

·
Dean
775 Posts
What sizes would you need?

do the VMOD yourself. With your '08 cans it's REALLY simple. The How To on this forum is for pre '06 bikes and instructs you to use a 3" hole saw at the exit end of the muffler, but you can get away with 1-5/8" hole
So, you would use a 1-5/8" on the exit end....what size would you use on the other end?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
on the exit end I use a 2-1/8" and on the 3rd volume end a 1-3/4"... Use a good corded drill and good hole saws and it goes very well.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
I've done this once. I laid a towel down on my deck rail and used a wratchet strap to immobilize the can. How'd you do that?

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Damn lux, you have that ESPn and sh!t. I was going to ask you about that guy in HB. I saw you post about him somewhere else on this site, but couldn't find it again. I will be throwing some business his way.

I will talk to steve. People on here say great things about him. I wish that I saw that he sold HD parts too. I just made a 700 dollar order from OC Harley (sundowner seat, passenger pillion, frame, luggage rack, and sissy bar.) I would have much rather sent the business his way.
The BAd news is that You spent $700 at a Local dealership when you could have Ordered it from www.haleshd.com for 20% off and no sales tax!!! I get most of my parts from them now.
Ed is a Good guy, He is Moving to a Bigger place right across the street from where HE is now as business is so good.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Keg of Yuengling Lager, piece of foam board on top of the keg, then wrapped the muffler in a beach towel (still getting bitched at for that one), then used a ratcheting tie down to hold steady.
The last time I did it I strapped the can down onto my 100gal plastic cooler.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts