Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, I have to replace my exhaust this weekend. My only option right now, is to put the stock back on. But I'm going to v-mod it in the process.

I looked at the how-to thing. And am curious about the sizes of the 2 dowels used. I found a post that said something about using a 1-1/4 or 1-3/8. But is this for both?

·
Back on the VROD!
93 Posts
I used the 1 1/4 dowel on both ends. I also used the smaller sized hole saw on both ends. The baffle was changed in the (I think) '06 and newer bikes. The how to was made on an older exhaust system.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BuggyBoy, I have an 04 so will stick with the how-to. I'm probalby going to just grab an assortment. Surely can't cost too much at only 6-9" each..

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
BuggyBoy, I have an 04 so will stick with the how-to. I'm probalby going to just grab an assortment. Surely can't cost too much at only 6-9" each..
You can also reach in the pipe with a dremel or die grinder and cut-off wheel at the engine side. Doesn't take long.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Disclaimer: I have not done it yet...

I was going to just make a dowel. Just cut a 2 x 4 to the correct size and stuff it in the hole It can be tight, I don' think it matters. Once you put the pilot hole it should be fine. Being square doesn't matter it is just for a guide. Even it if is stuck you are just going to throw it away. My .02

David

·
MWT III/IV/V alumni
859 Posts
I did this mod on my '03 aaccording to the How To and found that I had trouble using the dowel on the big end. When the dowel is inserted into the small opening at the end of the exhaust, the hole saw is on an extreme angle to the end cap it is cutting. I think it might be much easier drilling about 10 or 12 holes in the end cap then taking it the rest of the way out with a dremal. That way you can finish up the end cap with the dremal instead of relying on the hole saw going in straight. As far as the front end of the exhaust, I believe I just used the hole saw. What ever size it called for seemed to just fit in the hole nice. No dowel rerquired. I did this a while ago but figure I give other options.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I did this mod on my '03 aaccording to the How To and found that I had trouble using the dowel on the big end. When the dowel is inserted into the small opening at the end of the exhaust, the hole saw is on an extreme angle to the end cap it is cutting. I think it might be much easier drilling about 10 or 12 holes in the end cap then taking it the rest of the way out with a dremal.
in the time it takes you to drill those 12 holes I would have both ends cut and baffles out of both cans

I've done three sets so far, and have it down to a 15 minute process once removed from bike.
I use a 1-3/8" dowel wrapped a couple times w/duct tape to ensure a tight fit

Quality deep hole saw(s) (I prefer Rigid since they come w/lifetime warranty & replacement), along with a good corded drill.
If you use a deep hole saw, the protrusion at the exhaust end is a non issue and the resulting hole needs little to no "clean up" work.

I then use a rasp bit in the drill or pneumatic die grinder to make the new hole consistent with the flow of the pipe. Finish the process with rattle can black grill paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts