Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry guys, I love shopping at V-Mod when I can, but I STRONGLY advise you do not buy this part (#CTL-0057-IT) which is the Clear Integrated LED Tail light.

Works good but the damn thing keeps popping out of the fender! Clip gets loose from bumps in the road and then POP! Makes my V look real good dragging the tail light down the road, eh?

I emailed them this morning about it and I am optimistic they will refund my money.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I had one that popped out also, it didn't get ruined and when I put it back in the second time I noticed that the first time I installed it I didn't actually push down hard enough. The second time it seemed to "click" in place which I didn't remember it doing that the first time.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lakedrunk said:
I had one that popped out also, it didn't get ruined and when I put it back in the second time I noticed that the first time I installed it I didn't actually push down hard enough. The second time it seemed to "click" in place which I didn't remember it doing that the first time.
Same here, first time it popped I double checked and made sure no wiring was under it and the tabs were still on top. When I push it in, it makes a loud POP so that makes me think it is in good, right? Nope...:banghead:

I was on my way to a bike night last nite and the damn thing popped out twice. I too, am hoping I just got a dud cuz I shaved my dogs ass off and have no rear turn signals. guess I could make something work though...

·
V-Mod.com
581 Posts
LOL, on a more serious note. VrodderD, When you modified the "Dogs Ass" , do you still have the lip that supports the outer Fender skin in place? The reason I ask is, that any Tail light will pop out if the Fender Skin is unsupported. Let me know.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Steve! Hope you know I am not bashing V-Mod, mind you.

Yes, I still have the outer lip. I left it on nearly all the way around the fender just for that purpose. Doesn't look like it supports much but then again, there isn't much back there.

·
V-Mod.com
581 Posts
No problem D, I know it can be frustrating when stuff goes wrong. Send that one back and I will send you another one. If its not a week clip, check the underside of the Fender, see if the Tire is "Punting" the Tail light out. From your picture it looks like your bike is lowered.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will do, Steve. Nah, the bike is still on stock shocks. I tried some 412's back in the winter but haven't run them in months.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
Thread hijack

Sorry about this but is on a subject mentioned.

Removal of the Dogs Ass causes your taillight to pop out?

My Dogs Ass is history and I have installed the HD LED tail light without any problems so far. The mounting bracket that came with the light is hard rubber and appears kind of flimsy. I questioned its ability to stay secure. Maybe I should duct tape something to something to prevent loss of the light? You think?

·
Registered Useless
590 Posts
That would make sense to me. It sounds like the light is resting on the inner fender. The dog ass lip keeps the outer and inner fenders spaced apart. I kept mine (cut off the sides) and have had no problems.

·
REGUL8
891 Posts
I love clear alternatives

I could buy 4 clear alternatives to one Heavy. I have had two intergrated turn signal tail lights and they have performed flawlessly. I bought mine on ebay for $79. 2 thumbs up

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
vrodderD said:
Sorry guys, I love shopping at V-Mod when I can, but I STRONGLY advise you do not buy this part (#CTL-0057-IT) which is the Clear Integrated LED Tail light.

Works good but the damn thing keeps popping out of the fender! Clip gets loose from bumps in the road and then POP! Makes my V look real good dragging the tail light down the road, eh?

I emailed them this morning about it and I am optimistic they will refund my money.
I am curious what they use to mount their light in the fenders.. i did my HD clear led light and I took a little extra time making sure it was 110%.. mine hasnt given me a single problem

if you want a second set of eyes this weekend let me know, i'd be glad to ride over and take a look.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Russ said:
That would make sense to me. It sounds like the light is resting on the inner fender. The dog ass lip keeps the outer and inner fenders spaced apart. I kept mine (cut off the sides) and have had no problems.
Nope, plenty of room.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
VenomousSVT said:
I am curious what they use to mount their light in the fenders.. i did my HD clear led light and I took a little extra time making sure it was 110%.. mine hasnt given me a single problem

if you want a second set of eyes this weekend let me know, i'd be glad to ride over and take a look.
I am gonna try epoxy on the clip before I send it back to Steve. My thought is that the clip is not staying put under road vibration/bumps and then vibrates loose then the light slides out of the fender.

My hats off the Vmod though. They offered to swap out with no fuss, so I want to make sure I do them right as well.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
vrodderD said:
I am gonna try epoxy on the clip before I send it back to Steve. My thought is that the clip is not staying put under road vibration/bumps and then vibrates loose then the light slides out of the fender.

My hats off the Vmod though. They offered to swap out with no fuss, so I want to make sure I do them right as well.
well, in that case.. let me now if you need some moral support

1 - 20 of 32 Posts