Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All -

I did the drill-8-holes-per-muffler mod on my '02 and I just LOVE the sound that results. It's pretty bad though, because now I feel compelled to romp on the throttle WAY too much. I've never heard a bike sound like the VRSCA at 6-9k RPM :D

Clowning around aside, my nearly stock ride gets about 35 MPG around town, 50 MPG on the highways in good conditions at 60 MPH and about 40 MPG on the freeways in the 80 MPH range.

If I wanted to go nuts and get MORE exhaust sound I think I'd like to go with V-Modding the mufflers, a PCIII setup and a K&N Intake upgrade.

Does anyone have a guess as to what I could expect for an MPG drop if I do that? It'd kinda suck if the cruising (60MPH) MPH dropped to 35 as it sounds it might be with some people. That 3.7 gal tank doesn't last very long already. I recall someone commenting on using a CamelBak to carry gas :D

Happy riding!

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
If you are getting that type of gas mileage your romping on the throttle and mine are far apart. My girl has the setup you are considering on your bike, I don't know what type of mileage she is getting but it is not great, with the PCIII (I recomend the later version) you can get a tune more geared towards mileage if you need too0.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Who cares? Enjoy the noise and pay a few extra bucks. I only ride for recreation so it's not that many miles yearly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The good mileage numbers are when I'm NOT romping on the throttle. Obviously it goes down a lot when I do go wide open...

But I use my bike as a commuter and I take it on several little rides (<200 miles) and a couple big rides (400+ miles) every season. I've put about 2300 miles on it since May and I think that would be typical of any riding season.

So, yes, I could say 'who cares' and just do it anyway. But it's not like the bike doesn't sound awesome now or isn't fast enough already. If doing a V-mod/PCIII/K&N upgrade will halve my MPG, it just might not make sense for me to do the mod at all.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
When I was running my Vmod cans I was averaging 30 to 37 with mixed riding and 45+ freeway. I've since switched to a "wicked-line" 2:1 and my mileage for cruising has not changed at all. The urge to twist the throttle increased substantially, especially at underpasses and tunnels, but cruising mileage remained the same.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was running my Vmod cans I was averaging 30 to 37 with mixed riding and 45+ freeway. I've since switched to a "wicked-line" 2:1 and my mileage for cruising has not changed at all. The urge to twist the throttle increased substantially, especially at underpasses and tunnels, but cruising mileage remained the same.
Sweet! How do you like the wicked line 2:1? I really like the look of the stock cans (hence considering v-modding them) but I do tend to scrape them in the turns every now and then. Do you get better clearance with your 2:1?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have the Powerline 2-into-1 (the same) Ground clearance is great But I no longer use it as a 2 into 1 since the turbo, but still have it tied into the turbo. I would also upgrade to the PC V rather than the PC III, and have the ability to upgrade to auto tune

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
ground clearance is better, but since I have an AW I still tend to scrape when I forget that I'm not on a sportbike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts