Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
Heheh you cant.. Maybe also try Pirelli Night Dragon, cost effective solution - pretty sure they do a 200.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was told you have to notch the chain/belt guard and you can go as much as a 210. They recommended a 200 as it is an easier tire to get plus it won't effect the handling too much. I have been going back and forth trying to figure out if it is worth $500 or more to do this. Has anyone done it and any problems? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I ran the 200mm tire and it had no issues with rubbing or passengers I just wanted a 240 so it was my interm tire!!

·
Land Pilot
148 Posts
The Bridgestone tire has a V rating - the R just means it's a radial tire.

V = 149mph rating
Z = over 149mph rating

You have to look at the service code to see if it's a W (168mph) or Y (186mph)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Now I am confused. HD shop here in AZ. says they have to notch the belt guard otherwise it will not fit. I have an 06. Also one mechanic is saying a 200 throws the handling totally out of wack. Is this true? HD will mount a 200 and notch the guard for around $400 to $450 seemed pricey.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tire is $279 to $329 depending upon brand. Rest is labor. Place has been in business for years and seems like their serviced dept. is always busy, good reputation but still seemed a little pricey to me.

Any handling issues when you went to the 200?

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tire is $279 to $329 depending upon brand. Rest is labor. Place has been in business for years and seems like their serviced dept. is always busy, good reputation but still seemed a little pricey to me.

Any handling issues when you went to the 200?
That tire price is pretty high. A 200 Metzler is $198, a 200 Avon is $185.

You should see if there is an indy shop that could fix you up.

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dont know if it matters or not but that is a lower speed rated tire R on the Bridgstone the V-rod comes with ZR
It is a lower speed rating, but since there is little chance of me getting within 50mph of it, I'm not real concerned. I can honestly say that the only conditions under which I will exceed 100mph is if I'm being shot at.

I'm going to order one, if it's good enough for a V-Max it should be just fine on a bike with less HP and less lean angle.

·
Registered
284 Posts
200 and notch the guard. no problem. pull the tire and notch the quard your self. it did it
not a big dea. put the extra money to something else on your scoot. also 210 will not fit on the 180 rim. tired that no work. special ordered 2 place could not get it to fit.

·
boredom kills
2,324 Posts
Is there a visible difference in appearance going from 180 to 200. Intellectually I know there should be but can you see it? Does it stand out? Is there an effect on handling? What about the addition of recipricating wieght, does you bike feel like it has less grunt?

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just went down to cycle gear and looked at tires. That 20mm makes far more difference than I ever would have guessed.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think I am going to do it. Seems like it should be smoother ride on the straights and it should look better. Now to find a shop to do it without costing me a fortune.

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
Do it.

You can tell the HD shop to leave the belt guard off and do it yourself when you get it home.

The only issue you may have is the saddle bag mounts. You may need to grind them a little for clearance.

It really isn't that hard to do yourself. Pull the rear wheel take it to tire shop, then take wheel home and do the rest yourself.

You'll not only know its done right but you get the satisfaction of saying you did it yourself.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts