Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the V&H Comp Series 2-1 installed on my '09 DX today along with the SEPST. Very happy with the sound. Used the Super Tuner map from the V&H website. Still have to do some tweaking to the map as I'm getting minor decel pop. I plain on going topless, just didn't get around to it today. This post is really about the fit of the pipes and past issues discussed with earlier generations of this exhaust. This is only my opinion. Your milage may vary. The exhaust I have is the latest version of the Outlaw, Indy or Competition. Not sure which order they came in.

1. The black ceramic finish is flawless and well applied. I followed V&H instructions for curing it without any surprises.

2. The front head pipe has over 1/2" clearance from the oil line. The line did not have to be repositioned. The new exhaust has twice as much oil line clearance than the stock exhaust did (on my bike).

3. The revised heat shield on the rear pipe works. I noticed several times today my calf touching the pipe in this area and no burned pants.

4. V&H states the latest revision sits a little higher on the bike for more cornering clearance. A rear bracket is included now that supports the muffler. No more sag.

Overall I'm very happy with the exhaust. Is it loud? Yep, but it has a killer tone. A very manly sound. lol. With the SEPST and exhaust, the bike feels much more nimble and fast ( factory exhaust on the DX weighs about 38 pounds versus 10 for the V&H). I was only able to get in 130 miles riding today but plan on more tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Guardian of Freedom
140 Posts
Looks killer man!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, one has to learn to behave when riding thru populated areas with this pipe. This is my fifth H-D and all had V&H exhaust. It is by far the loudest of the bunch. Not that I'm complaining. lol.

·
Guardian of Freedom
140 Posts
I know what you mean, I just installed a Rinehart 2-1 today and took it for a quick spin. Very loud compared to my stockers! I AM LOVIN IT!

·
"Doc"
114 Posts
Got the V&H Comp Series 2-1 installed on my '09 DX today along with the SEPST. Very happy with the sound. Used the Super Tuner map from the V&H website. Still have to do some tweaking to the map as I'm getting minor decel pop. I plain on going topless, just didn't get around to it today. This post is really about the fit of the pipes and past issues discussed with earlier generations of this exhaust. This is only my opinion. Your milage may vary. The exhaust I have is the latest version of the Outlaw, Indy or Competition. Not sure which order they came in.

1. The black ceramic finish is flawless and well applied. I followed V&H instructions for curing it without any surprises.

2. The front head pipe has over 1/2" clearance from the oil line. The line did not have to be repositioned. The new exhaust has twice as much oil line clearance than the stock exhaust did (on my bike).

3. The revised heat shield on the rear pipe works. I noticed several times today my calf touching the pipe in this area and no burned pants.

4. V&H states the latest revision sits a little higher on the bike for more cornering clearance. A rear bracket is included now that supports the muffler. No more sag.

Overall I'm very happy with the exhaust. Is it loud? Yep, but it has a killer tone. A very manly sound. lol. With the SEPST and exhaust, the bike feels much more nimble and fast ( factory exhaust on the DX weighs about 38 pounds versus 10 for the V&H). I was only able to get in 130 miles riding today but plan on more tomorrow.

Stay tuned.
Awesome job. I am looking into same one. what about HP after dyno?

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
FifthyFathoms, you actually used the bracket provided? I'm installing mine in my SE soon! :angeldev:

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
i'd go topless before i changed the map. you may not have to change anything.

·
FATASSDX
2,143 Posts
Looks like some decent improvements. I have one of the older versions and I can clearly see the additional clearance and higher profile in your pictures.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats what I'm hoping, that once the lids off it will lean out. I spoke with a tech at V&H about the map and they advised it was for a high flow filter/topless setup.

I got a new laptop today to load all my SEPST software into. Everytime I go to the dealer it's 75.00 to change the map and that doesn't include any fine tuning. The laptop will pay for itself pretty quick. Closest dyno is 90 miles away and I haven't heard anything good about the operators. Seems that everything they "Dynotune" runs great at WOT, but sucks in the lower range. I've heard the same story from numerous people.

The rear bracket is very simple, but sturdy and works well. I'm glad V&H started including it with the pipes. I also purchased the quiet insert, it's supposed to lower the sound by 2-4 decibles and give the exhaust a deeper sound (its pretty deep now). Haven't installed it yet.

If anyone has more questions feel free to ask. I'm still pleased with the pipe. The latest revisions seem to have made this a very nice exhaust. I have a couple short video's of the bike at highway speed. I'll post them when I figure out how.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We need some pics of the Bub 7 on that Sedona Orange. It's going to look really cool.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Thanks a lot! Can you provide the link on the VH site with the Race Tuner maps? I'm having a hard time finding it, all I see is their Fuelpack stuff... Thanks again!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its a pretty good map. Bike runs hard with it. Only issue is the decell pop, but as mentioned earlier my airbox lid is still on. Once I get the lid off I'll post the results.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Awesome job. I am looking into same one. what about HP after dyno?
Back to back with my X the Vance & Hines I did dyno pulls,however,I did not make any pulls comparing just the pipe change.

My V with the stock pipes,air bix/filter and factory ecm made 106hp to the ground.
With the addition of the V&H pipe,race air box and PCIII it made 120hp to the ground with some minor tweaking to eliminate the throttle down poppping.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You have to do like niterod said and either go topless or get a high flow filter to get rid of the pop. Maybe a minor tweak or two. I have the new version V&H comp 2 into 1. I don't like , I love that pipe. This should be the pipe Harley puts on all the dxs. My bike made 127.34 hp and 87.63 lbs/ft tq on the dyno with this pipe. Its just has that badass sound and the looks pretty cool too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you have any idea about ground clearance on the new version versus something like the Muscle slipons? I like this setup, but I hear so much bad about it... including the poor clearance on right turns.

·
Registered
727 Posts
My system has plenty of clearance. I was looking at it real close last night to see if I could see anything that might cause a problem. I saw nothing that could cause any problem. As far as ground clearance, I think my right foot peg would hit first. This system does have the support bracket on it and I think that helps. This is a solid system, I have 728 miles on this system and the finish still looks like new. This system has 2 bolts that hold the baffle in the end cap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How loud is it with the baffle in?

As someone who has spent almost all of my riding miles on sport bikes, I've had my share of exhausts. I might be getting old, but there is something to be said for not having to wear ear plugs but still being able to hear without ringing after riding for an hour or two. I used to be all about "loud"... now I like tone more than volume.

Up to this point, I've paid no attention to this exhaust setup because of what I've been hearing about the ground clearance and quality. Now that V&H seems to have cleared up these problems, I'm wondering more about the sound since it's suddenly become an option.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts