Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks

Been away for a while. I had my V&H 2 into 1 fitted a couple of days ago along with the Fuelpak. Pipes sound great - not too loud but a nice 'growl' in place of the stock 'purr'. Bike also feels lighter and much behtter balanced.

However, the bike cuts out when I pull in the clutch in first gear when slowing down.

I called the dealership and was told by someone that the ECM needs to learn the Fuelpak is there. I was then just told by the service manager that I should change my riding style and email V&H to see what they say.

So, not happy with this I checked the mode values tonight against the V&H info on their site. My software version is 12 and on the site there is one additional value for version 12 (which version 11 doesn't have) and this was set to 16 instead of 22 as listed by V&H.

I presume this was the problem. I haven't ridden her yet as it's late and raining but I'll check it out tomorrow.

What are your thoughts on this?

·
EVL-1
257 Posts
I have no idea concerning the setup-problems you are experiencing, but I think the pic here is awesome. Congrats! :)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Uhmm

Needs to learn the fuel pak is there? dont think so.

And suggested you change your riding style? I am not sure if your problem is repeatable but if you are coasting and everytime you pull in your clutch and your engine drops to idle speed and it cuts off....there is an issue that needs to be and can be fixed.

·
Registered
232 Posts
We

had a similar problem and found the idle speed was too low. It would die when set to anything under 1100rpm.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks folks.

i've just returned from taking her for a 30 minute ride and there wasn't a single incident of cutting out or feeling like stalling. the engine feels better - closer to what it used to just that bit more free due to the air flow.

it didn't feel right before - now i realise it. there was a lot less torque and i think she was running very lean.

dealer must have just programmed in the values for software version 11 and not bothered to check the last setting which only needs to be set for version 12.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
This is very interesting to me Soda, because I want a noisier bike, and like you I have a European spec 07 (therefore the ECM is programmed for a CAT). The stealer wants to flog me a V&H, but he doesn't seem to be including a Fuelpak, just planning to reflash the ECM, I don't see how that can work and I have a horrid feeling he doesn't know what he is doing.

How do you find the Fuelpak? Are you a high mileage user? If so, I'll be watching with interest.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Louis

I'm not a high mileage rider - I do on average about 100 miles a week.

If you had asked me the question about the Fuelpak yesterday I would have told you to stay clear. The dealer was saying that the problem (the cutting out) was due to either me or the Euro spec bike.

Turns out that the dealer had not set Mode 23 properly (I found this out myself from the V&H site). V&H state the value should be 22 but it was set to 16. Mode 23 is new in software version 12 and allows adjustment to prevent decelleration popping by adjusting fuel supply at that time. I adjusted the setting myself to 22 and rode for 30 minutes - no stalling.

So I can know recommend the Fuelpak if you get a V&H pipe. I certainly wouldn't just flash the ECM. I don't know of anyone who has done this - most people use someting - mostly either SERT, PC3 or Fuelpak. If they are recommending not using a fuel commander of some sort I would look to take my bike somewhere else.

PS - he should also be adding a high flow air filter to the package if it's the 2 into 1 - like the SE or K&N.

PLEASE NOTE: this information is related to the V&H 2 into 1. If you are looking at other pipes, the Fuelpak may or may not be used.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Thanks. I can't just switch dealer, there are only a couple of dealers theoretically competent to do the job in Portugal (that I know of anyway) and they are both the same company, who are also (as far as I can see) the importers.

However, I know engines, I have free access to a dyno, and I'm a computer consultant by trade, so I COULD do it myself. But then bang goes the warranty...

So I'll be interested in how you get on. Bunging on a two into one, the Fuelpak and dropping in a K&N is one very tempting route.

I'm going back there next week to try and get a better handle on what the stealer wants to do. If I was confident he would do it RIGHT I'd just let him do it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dealer won't tell you this but fitting a non street legal exhaust, high flow air cleaner and Fuelpak (which V&H themselves state is only for track use) will probably invalidate your warranty according to MoCo, no matter who fits it. It will be up to the dealers discretion to address what they fix under warranty thereafter. So yes, better chance of this if they do it.

The Fuelpak is designed to be fitted by regular folk (and after my experience this is more successful than having then dealer do it). Instructions are on the V&H site and is as easy as plugging in a few wires and mapping the values to the correct modes (as indicated on the site) and screwing on the plastic cover. Unlike other fuel controllers, the Fuelpak does not allow custom maps - you can only enter set values that correlate to the V&H pipes you have.

Good luck Louis. Let me know how you get on. See you on flickr later :)

By the way, when you say you suspect he wants to remap the ECM, what gives you this idea? When the salesman sold me my exhaust he never mentioned the other items (high flow and Fuelpak). The only reason I realised they were included was because I saw him type them into the system.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Cheers Nick, I'll see how YOU get on before I risk any loud bangs :)

Not doing much on flickr ATM, have to wait 'til mid Sept until the tourists get off my precious beaches!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts