Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of ditching my stock gauges and go with new handle bars (like Max's set up) and install the V-Guage only. I have a 07 DX and my only concern is with the alarm that is indicated on the guage. Does anyone know if I could make this all happen without issue and my alarm would be good to go?

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,089 Posts
I think you can based on the bikes I've seen, but you also need to maintain the Odometer as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a good point as well. Maybe Max or cbdane can chime in and let me know.

·
Registered
229 Posts
v-gauge

Hey buddy,
I have drag bars and v-gauge only. Maybe we should get together and talk!

ride safe

vrodtom

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
Jonny Vegas Rod said:
I am thinking of ditching my stock gauges and go with new handle bars (like Max's set up) and install the V-Guage only. I have a 07 DX and my only concern is with the alarm that is indicated on the guage. Does anyone know if I could make this all happen without issue and my alarm would be good to go?

I don't have a Vgauge, but I have Dakota gauges on my bike and I was able to make the alarm indicator work. I don't believe the Vgauge has an LED for an alarm, but you can probably add one to it without to much trouble.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The v-gauge does not have

Oil pressure warning
Neutral position
Turn signals
Security light

It does have an odometer but it starts at 0 miles when you install the v-gauge. I know that Brent can program the miles to read what ever you like so if your willing to pay to have that set I'm sure he will work with you.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
My $.02

I LOVE my V-Gauge!!! And installing it as a sole gauge (like Max) gives a lean, mean, clean look. Just be aware of one thing: when sunlight hits the V-Gauge directly (from over your shoulder) the display washes out and is very hard to read. Not impossible - but very faint. Though I think my bike would look better without my stock cluster, when the sun hit the V-Gauge, I am glad to have my analog speedo. The clock and idiot lights are also nice to have.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
My $.02

I LOVE my V-Gauge!!! And installing it as a sole gauge (like Max) gives a lean, mean, clean look. Just be aware of one thing: when sunlight hits the V-Gauge directly (from over your shoulder) the display washes out and is very hard to read. Not impossible - but very faint. Though I think my bike would look better without my stock cluster, when the sun hit the V-Gauge, I am glad to have my analog speedo. The clock and idiot lights are also nice to have.
Alex makes a good point, if there were one thing I could change on the v-gauge it would be the type display it is. At night and on a cloudy day it is great. In direct sunlight it does get washed out and you will find yourself making a shadow over it to see clearly.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
I kept my analog gauges because of the very dim display in sunlight. An LCD display would look MUCH better and have the advantage of being any color instead of the ugly teal.

For all its shortcomings you can't beat the functions though. I have come to rely on the voltage meter especially.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
spinedoc said:
I kept my analog gauges because of the very dim display in sunlight. An LCD display would look MUCH better and have the advantage of being any color instead of the ugly teal.

For all its shortcomings you can't beat the functions though. I have come to rely on the voltage meter especially.

Why voltage meter?

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
Why voltage meter?
Probably because of all the accessories he runs on it....LED's, heated grips, radar detector, and I think heated gear too.

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
bproulxvrod said:
Probably because of all the accessories he runs on it....LED's, heated grips, radar detector, and I think heated gear too.

I run the same minus the radar and never had a need for it. That's why I'm asking.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
I run the same minus the radar and never had a need for it. That's why I'm asking.
Mike I think Daniii is the same way and keeps a close eye on voltage with his acc. Really after you monitor it for a short period of time you should be good but it can alert you to things changing. I watch my fuel screen most of the time, I like to be able to key in on instant and average fuel mileage. On trips it helps me to get that little extra out of the bike. It also tells me how the engine is performing. If instant starts to tank you can bet you have something wrong.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I just "re-installed" my stock instrument cluster. The main reason was if I ever needed to disarm the security system manually I would need the stock odometer. While I was only running the V-Guage the stock instrument guage was still connected and wrapped in bubble wrap taped inside the air filter housing. It also made a handy spot to tape the intake air temp sensor since I was also running topless.

·
(.)(.)Modster(.)(.)
7,066 Posts
I run a lot of stuff on my vrod, dont forget my speakers, satellite radio, gps, heated grips, heated jacket and pants, radar detector, 35w running lights, etc etc I probably forgot a couple.

While I understand I will probably be ok with voltages dipping down at idle, there are times when the cooling fans come on that my voltage does drop down below 12.0. I like to keep an eye on the voltage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts