Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im cruising down the road and get a sputter at 2k rpm... twice. Thinking its just a bad swallow of gas I dont think any more of it till im at the next stoplight. Bike putt.. putt..putt dies.
Start it back up. 10ft. Dies.

Start it back up. Give it all the throttle I can so I can coast to the gas station. Only had to push it about 500 yds.

Anyway... long story short. V-Gauge was showing 1.3 gallons/73 MTE. But she was bone dry and took at full 5.128 gallons at fillup.
Any ideas? I programmed it for the 5 gallon tank at setup.

This on top of it not know what gear Im in. Im afraid something may be amiss with the unit? CBDane?

Rodric

edit: yes I know I should have switched to the odometer to see that I'd driven more than my "normal" miles... but alas my infinite wisdom was not fully engaged this particular day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
Your signature doesn't show what you are using for fuel management. Regardless, there is a calibration procedure to follow to make sure your fuel consumption figures are accurate. When I ran a PCIII and the V-gauge, I had it set to estimate fuel use pretty accurately at about 131%... now that I am running the VRFI-D, the fuel figures are dead nuts at 93%

As far as the gear, are you SURE you have it set to 26 tooth? Hold the right button of the gauge in before you turn on the power, then keep it held in, turn on the power, and keep holding it in until the calibration screens show up. I think the gearing is the second screen... verify it's at 26 teeth. The furl consumption calibration is a screen or two after that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Running PCIII USB.
I'll double check tomorrow, but I remember being pleasantly surprised that I could set it to 26T. Hmmmm.....
 

·
Color me Gone
Joined
·
27,333 Posts
Not only will your map cause an error if you have it rich and been riding hard but are you absolutely sure you reset the trip for the fuel on your last stop? Mine reads the miles traveled and amount of fuel used on the same screen but then I have one of the original v-gauges. It is just a calculation though so it is possible to have it off but even with the turbo and a five gallon tank I have never been more then .2 gallons off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
Max and 07DX.

If you are running stock, a SERT-modified delphi, or a VRFI unit, then the V-gauge will calculate fuel useage by pulling injector pulses/duration info off the serial bus. If you use an aftermarket downstream fueler (like the PCII) the V-Gauge has NO IDEA how much fuel you are adding downstream of the Delphi. Unless you calibrate it, the v-gauge WILL be off, becase it only 'sees' and counts the Delphi ECM info. The solution is a calibration procedure outlined in the manual (I don't have the time to copy-paste it here - you can find it online). Basically, you fill up, reset the calibration screen, use up as much of the tank as you dare. then fill up again. You then check the calibration screen - it will tell you how much fuel the V-Gauge 'thinks' you used - this will off and low.... you adjust a 'correction factor' which then adds an estimate on how much more fuel your fueler adds. In my case, my PCIII correction was 131% of the Delphi. Once I had it calibrated, the V-Gauge was always within .1 of a gallon on my 5-gallon tank.

You know the old saying ... if all else fails... read the directions :) :chair:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
Well? 07DX - did you check the calibration - both fuel consumption and gearing?? I can look up / post the directions if you need them.
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
Steppenwolf said:
Max and 07DX.

If you are running stock, a SERT-modified delphi, or a VRFI unit, then the V-gauge will calculate fuel useage by pulling injector pulses/duration info off the serial bus. If you use an aftermarket downstream fueler (like the PCII) the V-Gauge has NO IDEA how much fuel you are adding downstream of the Delphi. Unless you calibrate it, the v-gauge WILL be off, becase it only 'sees' and counts the Delphi ECM info. The solution is a calibration procedure outlined in the manual (I don't have the time to copy-paste it here - you can find it online). Basically, you fill up, reset the calibration screen, use up as much of the tank as you dare. then fill up again. You then check the calibration screen - it will tell you how much fuel the V-Gauge 'thinks' you used - this will off and low.... you adjust a 'correction factor' which then adds an estimate on how much more fuel your fueler adds. In my case, my PCIII correction was 131% of the Delphi. Once I had it calibrated, the V-Gauge was always within .1 of a gallon on my 5-gallon tank.

You know the old saying ... if all else fails... read the directions :) :chair:
:stupid:

The V-Guage will only read the bus data. The in line fuelers screw up that reading because it intercepts the bus data and modifies it before it goes to the injectors.
 

·
Steve
Joined
·
626 Posts
Yeah, ran short by 15 miles this weekend. Luckily I was on the top of a hill and was able to coast down, around a corner, through a green stoplight and right up to the pump. :moped:

These guys were there on bikes looking at me strange. I said, my bikes just really really quiet! LOL Then after I gassed up and fired up the CFR they realized I was pulling their leg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything is set up right, double checked today. I'll run through this tank and see how it does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
07DX said:
Everything is set up right, double checked today. I'll run through this tank and see how it does.
So despite the 26 tooth setting you are still getting the gear indicator not showing the correct gear? What about the fuel - what calibration setting are you using for the PCIII?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes. Still showing incorrect gear. What adjustments should I be making for the PCIII?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,869 Posts
07DX said:
Yes. Still showing incorrect gear. What adjustments should I be making for the PCIII?
The manual can be found HERE

The fuel calibration procedure is on page 19. You might want to read the speed calibration as well - iI suspect there is something in the settings that is causing your gauge not to register the correct gear.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top