Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - Curious as to when to use threadlock and when not to.

I noticed on the rotor bolts, there was some liquid threadlock used, but when I went through the Tech Manual to get the procedures and torque specs, there wasn't any mention of it.

So, do you just follow the manual, or do you make double sure that the fastener doesn't loosen and use a little threadlock?

I've had the rotors apart, the front/rear wheel apart, the calipers off, and so far the only place I really noted threadlock was on the rotor bolts and the bolts for the compensator bowl.

I did, however, use it on the pinch bolts for the axle cap just to be safe! :)

Thanks!

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
It doesn't mention the threadlock because the rotor bolts are one time use only bolts and when you buy the new bolts and wave washers from H-D they come with the threadlocker already applied. If you do decide to reuse them then use some loc-tite (I normally use red).

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
All the fasteners on my bike are polished stainless- vendor recommends using locktite or anti-seize on all.

I use blue locktite on EVERYTHING, except stuff I REALLY don't want to come loose without having to pound on it - then I use red.

Rick

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Use it on every bolt that might cause catastrophic failure and/or injury if it backed out.
could not have said it better...

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Use it on every bolt that might cause catastrophic failure and/or injury if it backed out.
Absolutely ..........that and anything that you just spend big bucks for and don't want to see skating on the pavement!!:D

I use it on every single not/bolt I fasten. No reason not to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts