Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse the stupid question :banghead: , but the answer does not appear to be in the RT User Manual. When you want to record ECM data for say a road-test, what needs to remain connected to the bike? Are you required figure out a way to safely mount the laptop or is the data temporarily stored in the RT Module.

Thanks in advance
Ron Myers

·
Registered
696 Posts
rmyers said:
Excuse the stupid question :banghead: , but the answer does not appear to be in the RT User Manual. When you want to record ECM data for say a road-test, what needs to remain connected to the bike? Are you required figure out a way to safely mount the laptop or is the data temporarily stored in the RT Module.

Thanks in advance
Ron Myers
You must have the RT connected to the Bike and a Laptop. You could try putting the laptop in a backpack. Thats what I plan to do ;)

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I put my laptop in my T-Bag.

Note to Harley: MAKE THE RT AVAILABLE IN POCKET PC FORMAT !!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Not the answer I wanted to hear but at least now I know. I mean how hard would have been to put a memory chip in the module?

Ron Myers

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
All we really need is a PocketPC proggie to just log the serial data. The xscale-based PPCs have enough horsepower to do it. that, along with a data card and it should be gravy.

I thought about looking at the atmel in the RT. Looks like all the RT does (aside from remembering the VIN) is a buffered level-converter. Not really much to it if so.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Just a reminder to everyone that the RT is copyrighted so please remember that when you post messages in the public forums. Everything is cool so far, lets keep it that way.

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
mjw930 said:
Just a reminder to everyone that the RT is copyrighted so please remember that when you post messages in the public forums. Everything is cool so far, lets keep it that way.
HD can retain the copyright on the actual software. Those of us with PPC's dont want to use the datalogging software anyway. We can build our own PPC<->ECU interface and write a tiny app for our PPC ot log the data without any copyright violations. Of course we would need to understand the serial data out of the ECU.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Reichard,

I just want to make sure the discussions of reverse engineering are are kept within context and that we don't go down that slippery slope of discussing ways to circumvent the hardware lock in an open forum. Like it or not, HD is on these forums and like any viable company, they are aggressive in protecting their intellectual property.

Now, discussion on building a PPC based datalogger are welcome. Ideally something that intercepts the datastream and creates a datalog file that can be replayed in the datalogging program from the RT would be great.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Better yet...

NOTE TO HD: Wireless too!!!

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
mjw930 said:
Reichard,

I just want to make sure the discussions of reverse engineering are are kept within context and that we don't go down that slippery slope of discussing ways to circumvent the hardware lock in an open forum. Like it or not, HD is on these forums and like any viable company, they are aggressive in protecting their intellectual property.

Now, discussion on building a PPC based datalogger are welcome. Ideally something that intercepts the datastream and creates a datalog file that can be replayed in the datalogging program from the RT would be great.

I agree wholeheartedly. My company runs software that I have copyrighted and locked as best I can. I would not be as successful as I am if it had been reverse engineered.

My commets regarding the atmel in the RC where to draw a schema as to the possible ease of implementation of a mobile datalogger, not circumvention of the lock or Harley's IP.

I've seen a wireless Bluetooth rs232 sender. A PPC with bluetooth and a datalogging application would be great.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
:thumb:

I've already got the bluetooth PPC so a bluetooth rs232 adaptor would be sweet!

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
mjw930 said:
:thumb:

I've already got the bluetooth PPC so a bluetooth rs232 adaptor would be sweet!

I"VE GOT IT!!!!!!

1. Attach RT to VROD and attach RS232 sender to RT. RS232 senders are available in Bluetooth class 2 and wifi.

2. Have girlfriend with fast car follow vrod with RS232 receiver and notebook with SE datalogging software.

3. Show girlfriend off. Enjoy logged data.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
It better be a FAST car!

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
mjw930 said:
Either one of these should work :diablo:
'specially if you have the upgraded KKK turbos and intercooler!

I miss my Turbo :^(

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
:eek:fftopic: but not entirely...

Salesman at the dealer wants to sell me the R/T off his bike. I am pretty sure it's locked to his VIN, right? At least, that is what I told him. He wants to just keep the remapp. Once the system is connected, it's for life, right?

Thank... back to the topic at hand...

Greg

·
Registered
696 Posts
Greg687 said:
:eek:fftopic: but not entirely...

Salesman at the dealer wants to sell me the R/T off his bike. I am pretty sure it's locked to his VIN, right? At least, that is what I told him. He wants to just keep the remapp. Once the system is connected, it's for life, right?

Thank... back to the topic at hand...

Greg
Correct? The system will be useless to you.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
It's not locked to the VIN, it's locked to the serial number of the ECM. If he has the same model year V-Rod as yours then he could sell you the RT and swap your ECM for his.

Unless he's going to sell it to you for $100 I wouldn't go through the hassle of swapping ECMs unless the dealer can update the VIN information in the ECMs with HD's Digital Technician system. The ECM does have your VIN number encoded in addition to a serial number.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts