Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello from sturgis. sorry for the poor typing, i'm on my tiny pda.

almost 3000 miles and ive used 2 1/2 qts of hd 20/50 synthetic. i ride pretty hard, but this cant be normal. i have a total of 6,000 on the bike. ichanged oil/filter at 1,000 miles and right before sturgis trip. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
What did Ski call this stuff again?

See if you can find someone in Sturgis to drain your oil and replace with conventional HD360 20w-50, don't worry about the filter at this time. Just replace that oil.

When you get home give me a call.

Most importantly, ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's not the oil...

Frankjake said:

almost 3000 miles and ive used 2 1/2 qts of hd 20/50 synthetic. i ride pretty hard, but this cant be normal. i have a total of 6,000 on the bike. ichanged oil/filter at 1,000 miles and right before sturgis trip. any ideas?

It's not the oil... it's probably the air/oil separator-breather (AOSB). HD knows about the problem but no recall (yet). My local dealer fixed on their own dime. There's an old thread about this and I recently posted a short version. Basically the AOSB cap is a loose fit and the crankcase pressure blows oil into the intake area. Take your airbox cover off and see if the inside is "wet" with oil... if so, you have the unacknowledged air/oil separator problem.

·
Registered
479 Posts
i called a dealer today and he asked harley, they say a qt of oil every 700miles is acceptable use. so its normal. sounds pretty shitty to me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Frankjake said:

i was using alot of oil in my vrscse at first and ken hooked me up with his oil (amsoil) went 3500 and no useage at all since ive switched oil.

o2man98

·
Think Warm & Sunny
156 Posts
Amsoil is the Answer!

My 06 D used oil just like yours. At 4,000 miles I switched to Amsoil courtesy of Ken.

I now have almost 7,000 miles and have yet to add a drop since changing over to Amsoil.

May seem hard to believe but It's fact

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
R-Rider said:
It's not the oil... it's probably the air/oil separator-breather (AOSB). HD knows about the problem but no recall (yet). My local dealer fixed on their own dime. There's an old thread about this and I recently posted a short version. Basically the AOSB cap is a loose fit and the crankcase pressure blows oil into the intake area. Take your airbox cover off and see if the inside is "wet" with oil... if so, you have the unacknowledged air/oil separator problem.
when i was working on my bike tonight i noticed the inside of my airbox near the filter there were some oil spots. I suppose this is the same problem. How is it fixed??

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I agree with Ken, change the oil to regular hd oil. The HD synthetic oil has been reported on several occasions to go right through this bike with low miles. An oil change will most likely correct the issue. IMHO

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
R-Rider said:

I hate to tell you this but he lost 2.5 qts of oil. Do you see that much oil in your airbox? It's normal to have some oil residue in the air filter, mine has since day one and with 59k miles still does not use any measurable amount of oil between 2,500 mile oil changes. 2.5 qts of oil is a lot of oil. We have seen this reported with HD Synthetic several times already and switching to regular oil or another synthetic oil corrected the issue.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
keebie said:
mine was using the same amount even before i put hd synthetic in

At what mileage did you change to hd synthetic?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Probably AIR/OIL Separator

Frankjake said:

The HD Dealer that says that 1 quart in 700 miles is OK is full of BS. Is this kind of oil consumption ok in any modern internal combustion engine?? There is usually a reason and absent other engine problems in the v-rod, it all points to the a/o breather. The service writers, techs and the service manager at my dealer acknowledged the problem...PROBLEM WITH THE AIR/OIL SEP-BREATHER in the air box. HD will not acknowledge it. It is also an inconsistent problem from bike to bike because of the inconsistent build quality of the lower airbox assembly. Ther have even been several cases of the aosb plastic cracking and dumping large quantities of oil in the air box.

There is no such inconsistency in the build quality of HD motors...especially the HD/Porsche motor... tha would cause this.

Check your a/o sep/breather. If the top rattles around...it will leak and mist from the joint. See if the body of the a/o/s/b is wet with oil...leaking and running down the side. See of the inside of the airbox is wet... Assuming you have no leaks or smoke coming out of the tail pipe, the oil is being misted under pressure and consumed. True...

The air/oil separator was modified and my oil consumption went down signficantly with 2500mi on the bike. I had synthetic (SYN3) in it at the time. I put AMSOIL in it later (5000mi). The oil consumption has gone from 1qt in 600mi to 16oz in 1200mi. It is getting better as the miles build up. This major improvement happened "overnight" after the modification - engine oil was not a significant factor. Now I am down to about 8oz per 1000mi.

Over time, a properly sealed aosb will not mist (much) through the top due to saturation of the inner filters. The aosb is a poor design that HD should be embarassed about. Also, the more the engine runs and breaks in... the less oil consumption UNTIL OF COURSE the engine starts wearing and starts to consume oil through rings/pistons/cylinders and valve stems.

·
Registered
20 Posts
R-Rider said:
Max...Who's shouting?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do it yourself? Sure...

louballs said:
Does anyone have any experience with r-rider's situation? I'm wondering if it's something I can attend to by myself to correct mine.
It is possible to fix it yourself. Getting the top off the aosb is probably the hardest part since you need to apply enough pressure on two tabs at the same time and NOT crack the plastic... Beyond that, clean it up and seal it with RTV. A few have placed extra filter elements inside to ensure there is no misting from the top breather hole. I had HD do it so that I could make sure they noted it in their records...and as a matter of principle.

·
Registered
177 Posts
had my 04 VRSCa in for trouble shooting and mech dude says the valve seals r gone on my cylindar heads. the oil is caked on inside and thats reason the oil is being consumed

is this correct ?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
louballs said:
when i was working on my bike tonight i noticed the inside of my airbox near the filter there were some oil spots. I suppose this is the same problem. How is it fixed??

There is oil in all the airbox's. That is completely normal. This posters problem is he is using syn3 IMHO.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
R-Rider said:
It is possible to fix it yourself. Getting the top off the aosb is probably the hardest part since you need to apply enough pressure on two tabs at the same time and NOT crack the plastic... Beyond that, clean it up and seal it with RTV. A few have placed extra filter elements inside to ensure there is no misting from the top breather hole. I had HD do it so that I could make sure they noted it in their records...and as a matter of principle.
Don't seal this box, it is how the engine breaths, if you seal it you will knock the gaskets and seals out of the engine in time. All engines have to breath, a v-twin with a single crank journal will breath a great deal more then many other engines.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
That loud groan you hear is people saying “Not another oil thread.”

There are thousands of threads on this site about oil consumption. There are also a lot of polls about oil consumption. I made the same mistake plenty of others have. At the 1000K check-up I switched to Sync 3. I started to burn oil. Sync 3 is known as Witches Brew for a good reason. It sucks and is not a true synthetic oil. I changed to Amsoil and have never looked back.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts