Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put 2,100 miles on my DX when we rode to Deals Gap. (My total mileage is around 5,000 miles now)

My bike used about 1-1/2 quarts of oil! I am running the HD Synthetic.

No leaks or anything that I can see. No smoke either.

Is this normal? Of course my bike went out of warranty in July while it sat for almost a year and a half as I trained and deployed to Iraq. :banghead:

Now I am stuck with the crappy fuel guage, bubbling paint on brake rservoirs and now this. (If it is a problem?)

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
There are a LOT of threads on here about this! My summary:

1) They take a long time to bed in. The oil consumption will fall.
2) They should probably be revved hard and engine braked from new (too late now).
3) The Harley oil is not suitable. Change to AMSOIL or Mobil 1 (neither of which are available where I live).
4) They do seem a little thirsty.

One and a half quarts does seem a bit much though. If it were in warranty I'd ask for it to be looked at. Since it isn't, I'd change the oil for a better brand and keep an eye on it. It should fall over the next 10K.

[edit]

My own experience was that the bike used a lot of the Harley oil. At 10,000 miles I changed to something else (probably Silkolene, though it was badged as Auschan own brand). Since then the oil consumption has dropped markedly, although it does still use some oil. How much of the drop is due to the different oil and how much to it being bedded in by 10K I cant say,

·
Registered
164 Posts
just keep riding it. it will balance out the more miles you put on it. 5k is not a lot of mileage not to mention the year it sat. in my opinion if possible you should just really get out there and ride it a lot. but i am no mechanic. i am speaking from my own personal experience with my bikes in general. good luck

·
Registered
119 Posts
Now I am stuck with the crappy fuel guage, bubbling paint on brake rservoirs and now this. (If it is a problem?)
Been there done that. My '08 has the same issues. I got the fuel guage fixed twice under warranty - seems to be doing ok now. My clutch resevior is bubbling up - shop told me they had an issue with bad gaskets and that the new ones will fix the problems. Around 3000 miles I checked my oil and it was a 1/2 quart low. I'm at 7000 miles now and it has stopped using oil. I think the oil usage was just a part of the break-in process.

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a case of Amsoil and will change it soon. We'll see how it goes. I love this bike but these are some damn basic issues that shouldn't be happening with todays manufacturing tolerances. Crappy QC is what I am seeing.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I ordered a case of Amsoil and will change it soon. We'll see how it goes. I love this bike but these are some damn basic issues that shouldn't be happening with todays manufacturing tolerances. Crappy QC is what I am seeing.
Welcome to the world of Harley-Davidson

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,171 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mobil1

There are a LOT of threads on here about this! My summary:

1) They take a long time to bed in. The oil consumption will fall.
2) They should probably be revved hard and engine braked from new (too late now).
3) The Harley oil is not suitable. Change to AMSOIL or Mobil 1 (neither of which are available where I live).
4) They do seem a little thirsty.

One and a half quarts does seem a bit much though. If it were in warranty I'd ask for it to be looked at. Since it isn't, I'd change the oil for a better brand and keep an eye on it. It should fall over the next 10K.

[edit]

My own experience was that the bike used a lot of the Harley oil. At 10,000 miles I changed to something else (probably Silkolene, though it was badged as Auschan own brand). Since then the oil consumption has dropped markedly, although it does still use some oil. How much of the drop is due to the different oil and how much to it being bedded in by 10K I cant say,
Wich one of the mobil one oils would you recomend then? The 5W-50?

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Wich one of the mobil one oils would you recomend then? The 5W-50?
There's a V twin oil Mobil 1. Not availble in Portugal though, and I'd guess hard to find in Sweden too. Car oil will stuff the clutch.

I couldn't find any of the oils people recommended, so I ended up using an Auschan (French supermarket chain) branded 5w-50 fully synthetic. I think it is probably Silkolene, which I believe would in turn be branded Fuchs in Sweden (as far as I can see they call Fuchs Silkolene in the UK because Fuchs sounds rude :D).

I'h happy with it - it does 5K without turning into a thin soup (unlike the Harley oil), the gearshift is notably smoother than with the Harley oil, oil consumption is reasonable (though it still needs half a litre between services) and it cost less.

I suspect any 5w-50 or 10w-50 fully synthetic bike oil will be just fine, with the possible exception of Harley's own, which seems to be the cheapest muck they could find and stick a label on.

Something I learned when researching this is that 5w-50 is at least as good, if not better, than 10w-50. There's no virtue in picking the 10, it is just going to be a cheaper oil.

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
20-50 graded for wet clutch and transmission use.

I use Amsoil and have used HD dino, HD Syn, and Mobil 1. My bike has never used any oil.

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
i thought nothing of it last week when i had to put almost a quart in after not checking mine for 2k miles. did about 500 miles over the weekend and checked it again today and its down just as much again. oil change time next week after a road trip this weekend though so hopefully the switch to amsoil will help a bit.

·
Aaron
28 Posts
I also had this problem. My bike used 1 quart every thousand miles. It stopped using it after 5000 miles. I am around 7500 and use HD SYN.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts