Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Well, I made a few purchases yesterday. First I bought an 04 dual Kendon trailer like new for $1K. I then put a deposit on an 03 Vrod (which I will detail with pictures when I get it next week). So, now I have to trailer it home about 40 miles. Any advise on making sure the bike is strapped in appropriately? Can I really put 1 bike on a Kendon dual bike trailer? Won't it drift becuase of the weight on one side? I know this question is going to sound stupid but do I ride the bike up or push it with some help?

Thanks for any advise you can give me.

Regards,

Greg

·
LOS ANGELES
1,757 Posts
sudolg said:
Hi folks,

Well, I made a few purchases yesterday. First I bought an 04 dual Kendon trailer like new for $1K. I then put a deposit on an 03 Vrod (which I will detail with pictures when I get it next week). So, now I have to trailer it home about 40 miles. Any advise on making sure the bike is strapped in appropriately? Can I really put 1 bike on a Kendon dual bike trailer? Won't it drift becuase of the weight on one side? I know this question is going to sound stupid but do I ride the bike up or push it with some help?

Regards,

Greg
That's a good price. You can ride it up or push it with some help..:)

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
sudolg said:
... Any advise on making sure the bike is strapped in appropriately? Can I really put 1 bike on a Kendon dual bike trailer? Won't it drift becuase of the weight on one side? I know this question is going to sound stupid but do I ride the bike up or push it with some help? ...
Greg,
You can load either one or two bikes on the Kendon dual trailer.

Kendon doesn't recommend riding the bike up the ramp. They say to push it up using help if necessary.

Strap the front wheel to the chock and/or strap through the lower triple clamp forward along with straps from rear shock bolts forward using some compression on the front and rear suspension. Bike should feel solid when strapped in.

·
John
2,700 Posts
Get a pair of "soft straps" so the hooks on the ratcheting tie-downs hook through the soft straps and the hooks never get close to any parts of the bike that can be marred by the ratcheting tie-downs.

Get a couple of good sets of ratcheting tie-downs.

When you ratchet down the front end compress the forks down about 50-75%.

Tying down the rear end of the bike is tricky if you have the solid wheel but you can find a way to get a strap around the rear pegs and over to the other side if you work at it.

A second option you have for loading the bike is to "run" it up the right side ramp. Run: meaning you use the power of the running motor to walk up the ramp. Slip the clutch and walk along the bike as the motor pulls the bike up the ramp. If you stand on the left side of the bike you have the whole center of the trailer to walk on as the bike pulls itself up the ramp.

Yeah it sounds scary so if you doubt the results push it up the ramp. A second person comes in real handy!

Make sure the ratcheting tie downs are in the "locked" position before you travel. If they are not locked they will get loose then looser then looooosest.

PS: The Kendon is wide so watch where that trailer is in relation to parked cars and other traffic... The width (and the torsion bar axle) helps keep a single bike stable so 1 bike is no problem.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
sudolg said:
Hi folks,

Regards,

Greg
Where did you get a dual bike Kendon for $1K? Man, for that, I'd buy one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Craigslist. I was pretty surprised as well. I towed the new Vrod about 50 miles after I bought it. It was straight as an arrow just having it on 1 side. Would you believe someone drove right in to me when the trailer was empty? (Wasn't hard but still) Maybe I need to raise the lights so people could see it when it is empty I don't know.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts