Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Thread Killer
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing the HD braided coolant hose kit, and I can tell ya it was a pain in the ass. Taking everything apart was easy, but actually putting the new hoses on was difficult. I ended up only being able to use the main hose as I destroyed the smaller one taking it back off. Lesson learned: Read the Instructions!!!! I didn't and put the decorative cap on the top instead of the bottom. I had to remove the hose to pull the cap off and that did not go so well. I also lost a little bit of blood in the process!!!!! So now it looks better than it did, but only half better!! LOL

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
:stupid:

I think porting your own cylinder heads would be an easier mod than putting this **********ing thing on. I looked like I dug through a heroine addicts pockets afterwards too, about 12 puncture wounds.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
That seems to be the general consensus on this mod :banghead:
Looks great but you might bleed to death before the install is complete. :angeldev:

·
Banned
405 Posts
sounds like the chrome tube cover is the way to go :p

·
VRSCX #395
206 Posts
i just done this mod and it went easy no blood, take the bottom of the air cleaner off there are 2 clamps that hold the top radiator tubes together take the bolt out of the one in the cam cover and loosen the other,you will have plenty of vertical movement to clear the top tubes.the braided hose looks way better than the chrome cover imo.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
Funny... we were just talking about what a PITA they are to install.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
I enjoyed the experience of installing the braided hose on my vrsca I went and did it on the vrscx also. Took a month or so between installs to allow for the wounds to heal.

·
Freedom
614 Posts
The braided lines are the way to go. It's really not that difficult except for trying to get the lines on the fittings. No blood here but there was some sweat and a few choice words.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
the first thing my boss told me to put on our 02 was those crappy braided hoses . when i built the bike up with wheels and 88 in motor thoses hose went in the trash. the shop owner asked what happened to the braided hoses. i told him they were in the trash can because i was tired of bleeding all over the bike everytime i worked on it.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I think I am going to leave well enough alone

·
Bored
768 Posts
croctail said:
i just done this mod and it went easy no blood, take the bottom of the air cleaner off there are 2 clamps that hold the top radiator tubes together take the bolt out of the one in the cam cover and loosen the other,you will have plenty of vertical movement to clear the top tubes.the braided hose looks way better than the chrome cover imo.
Thats what I did also. No blood lost here. It actually went really smooth.

·
The Engineer
316 Posts
After reading this I'm glad I chumped out and just went with the chrome cover. Looks more like a factory piece anyway, IMO. Only took a half a beer (and no blood or cursing) to put on too.

·
Subluxation Free
172 Posts
I bought the braided kit (26792-01) for my R and noticed that the top coolant hose cover was not included with the kit . On the R the stock coolant hose cover is black and won't look so good with the braided hose kit and chrome bottom fittings.
So I went back to my dealer to see how much more this small chrome part would be. To my amazement the part (stock on the A and W models) is $71.00! That's as much as the braided hose kit itself, and almost twice as much as the complete Chrome Coolant Hose Cover Kit (29770-01).
After a quick but unsuccessful search on this forum, I went back to the dealer and exchanged the braided kit for the less expensive and complete Chrome Coolant Hose Cover Kit (29770-01). Looks pretty good and saved me $100 over buying the braided kit and the stock chrome top coolant cover. I'll use the savings for more mods!

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
It looks great, but catches and snags my rag when washing. I went with the smooth one, instead.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
You know, these braided hose cover installation threads make for some of the best comedy!

Fortunately, mine was on my bike when I bought it. :thumb:

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
stomper said:
That seems to be the general consensus on this mod :banghead:
Looks great but you might bleed to death before the install is complete. :angeldev:
:them: :bash:

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Sorry to hear it was such a PITA for you. I did this mod about 2 years ago and didn't have any trouble with it. The trick I found was to bevel the edge of the braided hose on the inside to allow a tiny bit more clearance and use some coolant fluid to lubricate it so it slid on better. The only part that gave me hassle was the decorative hose clamps on the top and bottom of the small hose.....Once I had everything lined up, it slid right on....lining everything up was the problem because of not being able to see the actual hose through the hose clamps very well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts