Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered Abuser
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see some references to a thread by MJW but I can't seem to find the thread that indicates what adapter works. Does the Belkin F5U409 adapter with their driver on Vista work?

Mike
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
The SERT is not supported by Vista. Some folks have stated that it works with vista, others have had issues with it. But either way, the SERT manual clearly states it is not vista supported.
 

·
lurch on two wheels
Joined
·
296 Posts
So the SERT is a serial cable only? You got to be kidding me. Almost no one is putting serial ports on laptops anymore, certainly not any of the inexpensive models. One more reason for me to root for aftermarket ECM hacking support!
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
Even if there is an aftermarket ECM hack you are still going to have to build a converter and cable to get from USB to the format and connector the data bus supports. Even the car ECM hacks require the purchase of special cables.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
I have been unhooking my destop and monitor and taking it into the garage to use my SERT because my laptop does not have the connection for the SERT cable. Is there an adapter for this so I can use my laptop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
From the land of tuning LT1s and LS1 on F-bodies (cages, yeah I know), I can tell you that there are a lot of issues with usb-serial adapters. The drivers usually suck, and if you interrupt communications during a flash, it can leave your ECM in a less than desirable condition. When we were flashing GM ECMs, we always used a laptop with a real serial port, or a PCMCIA serial adapter that has a real serial chipset, instead of emulating in software.

www.socketcom.com makes a nice PCMCIA, and now SIIG makes a nice ExpressCard/34 that I use on my thinkpad.

-Paul
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
Inetjanitor said:
From the land of tuning LT1s and LS1 on F-bodies (cages, yeah I know), I can tell you that there are a lot of issues with usb-serial adapters. The drivers usually suck, and if you interrupt communications during a flash, it can leave your ECM in a less than desirable condition. When we were flashing GM ECMs, we always used a laptop with a real serial port, or a PCMCIA serial adapter that has a real serial chipset, instead of emulating in software.

www.socketcom.com makes a nice PCMCIA, and now SIIG makes a nice ExpressCard/34 that I use on my thinkpad.

-Paul
Got a source for that one.

I assume the www.socketcom.com one is the second on this page?
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
The driver issue is why I like the FTDI chipset. It's drivers are Microsoft WHQL certified and included in XP and Vista (I think)

So far the FTDI USB - RS-232 adapter I use has been flawless. Here's a newer one with the latest chipset and it's only $20. http://www.usbgear.com/USBG-232MINI.html
 

·
Registered Abuser
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 more SERT question

I was able to use my work notebook that is running XP and has a serial port to download the map into the ECM, when it was downloading it asked the question "Have you installed the 28 tooth front sprocket". I was programming a 2007 VRSCX which came with the 28 tooth front gear/sprocket from the factory, I went ahead and said yes, since it had it installed, was that the correct answer? I hope I didn't throw the speedo off or something. I know you guys know the answer. I can always do it again if I was wrong.

Mike
 

·
1130cc Ninja
Joined
·
3,972 Posts
thanks for covering this issue.. it couldnt come at a better time.. i was talking to my tuner tonight and he was looking for something for the serts!

i love this forum!
 

·
spit happens
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
mnerren said:
I was able to use my work notebook that is running XP and has a serial port to download the map into the ECM, when it was downloading it asked the question "Have you installed the 28 tooth front sprocket". I was programming a 2007 VRSCX which came with the 28 tooth front gear/sprocket from the factory, I went ahead and said yes, since it had it installed, was that the correct answer? I hope I didn't throw the speedo off or something. I know you guys know the answer. I can always do it again if I was wrong.

Mike
Yep,you musta missed that reading the manual:stilpoke:
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
mnerren said:
electronic form, on the SERT disk. It's there. I've read it. ;)
 

·
Registered Abuser
Joined
·
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rjrivero said:
electronic form, on the SERT disk. It's there. I've read it. ;)
The documentation on the SERT disk isn't V-Rod specific, so I am having trouble finding this, are you sure it is in there?
 

·
Friend of Max.
Joined
·
21,719 Posts
mnerren said:
The documentation on the SERT disk isn't V-Rod specific, so I am having trouble finding this, are you sure it is in there?
I'm reasonably sure. I can see if I can find it. Hang on.
 

·
SNAFU
Joined
·
13,094 Posts
I couldn't find it in the manual. The function call was added in '04 when the option came out so it looks like they simply left it in with the old wording. You answered correctly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,248 Posts
mnerren said:
The documentation on the SERT disk isn't V-Rod specific, so I am having trouble finding this, are you sure it is in there?
I agree with you mnerren. I also couldn't find the sprocket selection procedure documented in the latest software user manual or help file. If it's mentioned anywhere in these it's been pretty well hidden. The only place I found it mentioned was in an earlier pdf user manual for a 2004 SERT version when this "feature" was first included. In this pdf on a page titled "Updates for this version of software:", it mentions that: "Vrod calibrations will now accept the new 28 tooth Screamin’ Eagle sprocket kit." There is no other discussion that I could find.

Regardless, it's one of the more crudely programmed features. Why not include it as a calibration constant like the engine displacement and injector size? If nothing else the question should be changed, this little "pop-up" has resulted in a lot of confusion for the tuners working on newer domestic delivery VRSC models that come stock with a 28 tooth pulley and learn they need to answer "Yes" to a question that, for them, the answer is "No".

I guess since it's a feature used when programming VRSC bikes only and has now been learned by many tuners, it's not on the list of things to improve or fix.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top