Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any advice or experience installing a USB charging port on the F? I am getting ready to do some road trips and will need to keep the cellphone charged. It will have to be an all weather solution also because who knows what weather i will run into.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Does anyone have any advice or experience installing a USB charging port on the F? I am getting ready to do some road trips and will need to keep the cellphone charged. It will have to be an all weather solution also because who knows what weather i will run into.
For an all weather solution i'd use this:

http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

although i tend to plug in a cigarette lighter adaptor into my battery tender socket , and put a usb adaptor in the cigarette lighter socket.Its not water proof though.

·
Registered
801 Posts
For an all weather solution i'd use this:

http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php

although i tend to plug in a cigarette lighter adaptor into my battery tender socket , and put a usb adaptor in the cigarette lighter socket.Its not water proof though.

I suggest that one too. I have a similar one from http://www.3brpowersports.com/ . It's probably the same thing. Comes with a fuse on it too. I bought a USB to Mini Usb adapter cable so I could charge my Garmin when I ride too from either there or another website.

·
on the hwy to hell
5,025 Posts
I have done as Stevel says and mounted it under the tail section under the seat got caught in rain last weekend and seems to have survived

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info and pics. Helped out a lot!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ok i am looking for something simular to the above to charge the iphone while i am on long rides.
My question is how and what did you connect the usb charging port too and once installed where do you put said iphone or do you just run the wire into you jacket or bag.
I like the install of the usb near the key but it seems so far away from where you can store the iphone.
Post more pics if you have a solution to this and what product you used also pics of how you attached it to the harness.

·
Good Muthafarka
11,223 Posts
You connect usb port directly to the battery........I use to charge the GPS while on bike.......I don't use for iPhone........but you could buy a ram mount for iPhone and problem solvered.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ok i am looking for something simular to the above to charge the iphone while i am on long rides.
My question is how and what did you connect the usb charging port too and once installed where do you put said iphone or do you just run the wire into you jacket or bag.
I like the install of the usb near the key but it seems so far away from where you can store the iphone.
Post more pics if you have a solution to this and what product you used also pics of how you attached it to the harness.
It's a cable man. And it's like, 6 feet long. You put the charger where ever you want it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i just did a 12 volt adapter that plugged into my tenner cable. zip tie it to the right side of the frame. its water proof as well. i can keep my phone in my pocket and and charge it.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I made a water proof charging station inside of my FastBack Rest. And I made a mount for my I-phone. So I can plug into or Bluetooth the phone on the bars and have the use of the touch sceen. Or I can Bluetooth or plug in wilde charging from the FastBack rest. So use your imagination, were do you want it ,how convenient do you need it. You will find or make a spot for one. :ride:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
i dont have an F but i just went to radio shack got a "Y" cigeratte adapter cut off the end that goes in the cig term of a car wired ot to the battery and got the usb adapter and then have it in the air box so i can pulg in my cell and GPS. and all the connections are outta the weather .. think it cost me like 10 bucks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also went through 3brpowersports.com and love it. If you contact them by phone you can talk with their engineer and tell him what you want configuration wise and they will build it for you (any length and plug). I mounted one on my "F" handlebars along with the "X" RAM mount for my EVO phone so I can charge it and use the GPS feature. I have a battery tender cable hooked to my battery. I measured the length that i needed my power cable and had them install the SAE end that would plug right in to the battery tender. Work great and looks clean. They also build a custom length (7") min usb cable that pluged into my phone to the power port eliminating all the bunched up cables and zip ties.

·
Registered
962 Posts
been on the bike for 9 months ridden through very heavy rain for hours and still perfect ! also been fitted to many other bikes.

(the normal connectors on your wiring loom for indicators etc are not waterproof and cope no problem and so does this product !)

comes pre-wired and fused and has auto shut off at 12.3v so cannot discharge your bike battery.

does not need to be placed outside the bike (why ?) just run the USB cable from the port to the device outside the bike less to go wrong ? should you want to charge outside

plus the connection to the device needs to be waterproof as well as rain will drive into the phone/sat nav mini USB anyway unless you use a waterproof phone case etc... and if you do makes this Digitek-moto product even more relevant ! as you would have a single lead neatly disappearing into the bike.

neat simple and small ! watch the video !

·
VRSCF FTW!
289 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
been on the bike for 9 months ridden through very heavy rain for hours and still perfect ! also been fitted to many other bikes.

(the normal connectors on your wiring loom for indicators etc are not waterproof and cope no problem and so does this product !)

comes pre-wired and fused and has auto shut off at 12.3v so cannot discharge your bike battery.

does not need to be placed outside the bike (why ?) just run the USB cable from the port to the device outside the bike less to go wrong ? should you want to charge outside

plus the connection to the device needs to be waterproof as well as rain will drive into the phone/sat nav mini USB anyway unless you use a waterproof phone case etc... and if you do makes this Digitek-moto product even more relevant ! as you would have a single lead neatly disappearing into the bike.

neat simple and small ! watch the video !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0rm0IfXImQ
Sounds exactly what i am looking for i ordered one just now as well cost was $44 AU shipped down under
Cheers nfn

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds exactly what i am looking for i ordered one just now as well cost was $44 AU shipped down under
Cheers nfn
It arrived today exactly as stated on the site, installed in less than 15 minutes and couldn't be happier.
thanks for the heads up nfn

1 - 20 of 23 Posts